Bp W column, 7.4.09
(07-06-2009, 12:59 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(07-06-2009, 12:45 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: You people sure do worry a lot about what women should and should not be doing.

As for the serving meals crap...you can serve a lot of meals the paycheck some players get, so that's not going to be an issue at the gates.  God probly likes a good game of ladies tennis as much as +Williamson does, seein as he sneaks out of his hiding place to go watch the girls.

DK has coind fuzzyphelia, we obviously have Willymania as well.  I know people that don't eduact their daughters because of this kook, and I like him!  But come on already, you don't have to hang on his every word, the guy has a screw loose, even if he is fun to listen to at times.

Didi (king of Willyphobia) is finally right about one and you people just keep piling on the stupid.

Frump is not feminen.  Activity is cool.  The Spartan women were known for their physiques.  You can't make a real warrior class and be nothing but a stay at home knitter.

And no I'm not going to back any of it up with scripture readings or lines from churcmen or saints.

I love it!  :)  And let’s not forget those women warriors of Roman, Celt, and Scandinavian history!

Woo hoo! Up for Paganism. Woo hoo!
(07-06-2009, 02:21 AM)columba Wrote: Woo hoo! Up for Paganism. Woo hoo!

Yeah, because nothing worth noting or imitating happened before Christ decided to drop in. Not. :laughing:

You people are astounding.

(07-06-2009, 03:07 AM)Scipio_a Wrote:

Yeah, because nothing worth noting or imitating happened before Christ decided to drop in. Not. :laughing:

You people are astounding.

Well, of anything worth imitating pre-Christ, it sure wasn't the pagans. Agreed!
(07-06-2009, 04:31 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote: Well, of anything worth imitating pre-Christ, it sure wasn't the pagans. Agreed!

Not really
(07-04-2009, 02:15 PM)Anastasia Wrote: Ummm, you can still play tennis during your period (I presume that's what he's referring to) with the pads, in the same way you can do any activity during your period. It's a awfully big stretch of logic to say that women will necessarily want to suppress their fertility just so that they can play a game. What does he think women did before the advent of contraception? Either used rags the same as any other period day, or played some other time. Tennis is a sport women have been playing for quite a long time. Shakespeare, for instance, uses a scene where two women have been playing, I think it may be in As You Like It, but I'd need to double-check.
[Image: medievaltennis.jpg]

Moderations seems the key..........no huge women w/bulging muscles, but athletic women I would think could more easily carry, birth and care for children then fat or out of shape ones
(07-06-2009, 03:07 AM)Scipio_a Wrote:

Yeah, because nothing worth noting or imitating happened before Christ decided to drop in

Please refer to the Incarnation with respect. In Sparta, the Spartans had to maintain themselves as a warrior class to terrorize the Helots, who were worked as slaves. That society crumbled when the Helots led a successful revolt.
(07-06-2009, 03:07 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: And no I'm not going to back any of it up with scripture readings or lines from churcmen or saints.

Your worldly posts against Bp. Williamson do not even make a pretense of advancing the Faith. You promote the Pagan worldview on a traditional Catholic board.
(07-06-2009, 09:40 AM)columba Wrote: Please refer to the Incarnation with respect. In Sparta, the Spartans had to maintain themselves as a warrior class to terrorize the Helots, who were worked as slaves. That society crumbled when the Helots led a successful revolt.

Your worldly posts against Bp. Williamson do not even make a pretense of advancing the Faith. You promote the Pagan worldview on a traditional Catholic board.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

(07-06-2009, 09:30 AM)Belloc Wrote: but athletic women I would think could more easily carry, birth and care for children then fat or out of shape ones

This is true.  My doctor (who is a Catholic with a huge family of his own) is constantly on women to exercise, and he doesn't mean just walking, he wants them to take up running, biking, swimming, and he even suggests tennis  :laughing:      He sees in his practice that women who do these things have much better outcomes, and even have less incidents of postpartum depression.
(07-06-2009, 01:44 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: Yeah, I'm high because I do tn watse my time spellchkn posts to the inet...

Proper spelling and grammar are important in all places. Isn't that what you teach your kids?

"Scipio_a" Wrote:Frump is not feminine.  Activity is cool.  The Spartan women were known for their physiques.  You can't make a real warrior class and be nothing but a stay at home knitter.

And no I'm not going to back any of it up with scripture readings or lines from churcmen or saints.

How about the Church's own teachings on modesty?

"Pope Pius XI, Divini Illius Magistri" Wrote:68. False also and harmful to Christian education is the so-called method of "coeducation." This too, by many of its supporters, is founded upon naturalism and the denial of original sin; but by all, upon a deplorable confusion of ideas that mistakes a leveling promiscuity and equality, for the legitimate association of the sexes. The Creator has ordained and disposed perfect union of the sexes only in matrimony, and, with varying degrees of contact, in the family and in society. Besides there is not in nature itself, which fashions the two quite different in organism, in temperament, in abilities, anything to suggest that there can be or ought to be promiscuity, and much less equality, in the training of the two sexes. These, in keeping with the wonderful designs of the Creator, are destined to complement each other in the family and in society, precisely because of their differences, which therefore ought to be maintained and encouraged during their years of formation, with the necessary distinction and corresponding separation, according to age and circumstances. These principles, with due regard to time and place, must, in accordance with Christian prudence, be applied to all schools, particularly in the most delicate and decisive period of formation, that, namely, of adolescence; and in gymnastic exercises and deportment, special care must be had of Christian modesty in young women and girls, which is so gravely impaired by any kind of exhibition in public.

Quote:No. Of course not.  It's just the marketing strategy used to falsely gin up attention in order to distract people from the actual crassness of the event itself.  Why they are there is ultimately for the genderless society. 
They are there to watch some good Tennis playing.

Quote:"It" is the blurring of the genders, not immodesty that is the issue.   You seem to refuse that "it" and are solely concerned on the immodesty issue.  If you believe in modesty, you believe in differences between male and female, if you believe that, then you must believe in a masculine and feminine nature.  You want to ignore that, but you can't make the issue of modesty an issue of objective truth until you acknowledge the truth of the difference between male and female natures. 
When have I denied the differences between men and women?

Quote:Oh......that is so wrong. 

You've created the false dichotomy here by stating that carrying a child is no accomplishment and that Motherhood is.  If it were no accomplishment to give birth, I guess we shouldn't call it "carrying a baby" or "bringing the baby to term" or "labor" or "delivery"  No.  There's no accomplishment in any of that.   My buddy's wife is in the hospital with a high risk pregnancy.  She's been going to the doctor's every day for tests for months.  This is after multiple miscarriages.  I guess he should tell her that she's not enduring any difficulties till the baby arrives.
Did I say there are no difficulties in pregnancy or that it is a vacation? You've just did this whole rant about me misrepresenting what others say and now you've done the same thing! Pregnancy is not an accomplishment. I'm sorry, it just isn't. Every day I convert food into energy, which is pretty amazing except it wasn't "me" but my body. Having sex and not killing a baby is NOT an accomplishment. Raising a child is.

Quote:STRAWMAN ALERT!  That is nothing like what I've stated. FALSE DICHOTOMY ALERT!  And just because some women are doing things that are against their natures does not mean that I think they should be mothers.  I've never said nor written anything like that.
Your whole argument against women playing Tennis is that it prevents them from being mothers! 

Quote:And he didn't say women couldn't study the Dialogues of Plato.  He said it's hard to imagine a woman participating in the Dialogues.   
Williamson is the only person I know of who pointed out the feminine and maternal style of conveying wisdom that the three unwisely declared "doctoresses" of the Church use in their works. 
Yes, it's only hard to imagine a woman doing a certain something unless you don't think she can do it. (And your calling those women "doctressess" shows that you take the authority of Williamson over Paul VI, when he declared that the pope can't make women Doctors of the Church.)

Quote:That's not an excuse.  That's a valid question.  Prove that the modern university is such a panacea for women.  You present your position as if going to College is the be all and end all of life.  Some of the dumbest people I've met have some of the best educations. 
Again with the misrepresenting you insolent  hypocrite. I am discussing the morality of certain things not whether or not such acts would be wise or prudent. Personally I agree that most colleges stink and I hate that I am there and spending so much money in it. But Williamson again wasn't simply criticizing the abuse of college today but the idea of women going to college at all.

Quote:No. He blames men for not preventing the de-naturing of the women. 
Yeah he blames the men for not controlling their women.

Quote:Women in the profession IS the abuse.  I've stated this multiple times.  The sport on a professional level REQUIRES women to adopt and imitate masculine characteristics.   Just as the male cross dressing singer is forced by the task at hand to adopt feminine characteristics.  It is not the abuses in cross dressing  cabarets that makes the activity unnatural.  It is the activity itself. 
So why is playing Tennis automatically masculine? Why bring up boxing? Who here is talking about boxing you moron!

[Image: ssstrophyevent3253.jpg]

Quote:Read Chesterton's "Emancipation of Domesticity" essay and you'll have a better grasp of what the bishop is talking about.  The world is chock full of things that women can do that are harmonious with the femininine nature.  One of those things is to not be competitive and to be broad-minded instead.  The man has to focus on one particular thing and master it.  The woman has to be flexible and be capable of doing a multitude of things in order to ensure the balance of the household or in a larger context the community.   I could hole myself up in a cave and study classical music or painting or build things but it would be a focused effort on one thing.  A woman engages in numerous activities that involve groups of people, they volunteer at hospitals, work for charities, sing in choirs, work in and enjoy community entertainments, decorate, garden, beautify things, they glue families together, heal wounded hearts, sympathize with the suffering.  Men CAN do all of these things also but women are naturally superior in all them.   I pointed out during the last go 'round that if you look on Amazon at Rachael Ray's cookbook writeup and Alton Brown's you can see the difference in the male and female emphasis.  Ray's book is about providing for families.  Brown's book is about conquering the recipe using proper tools, technique and organized know-how. 
....and? What does this half to do with sports? 

Quote:So you are saying that men need to do certain jobs and women are distractions from the men's focus either through their beauty or because of the man's nature to protect women?  And that man are naturally superior in these jobs that are outside the scope of the nurturing family unit?  You sound like Bishop Williamson and St. Thomas Aquinas. 
...........and? I told you I didn't disagree with Williamson on everything and you didn't believe. Well here's your proof.