I'm thinking about going Byzantine
Well, not permanently. Just once at least. I'm in love with the Tridentine Mass.

I went to my first Traditional Latin Mass last Sunday. It was a Low Mass. The experience was  a little strange (because it's my first), but I'm absolutely pleased with the Mass! I'm getting ready to order a Missal from either Angelus or Baronius Press.

In the coming weekend I won't be able to attend the Latin Mass because of the hours, distance, and visiting guests from out of town. Since I don't work on Sundays anymore, I thought I'd take the chance to visit the local Byzantine Church.

It's Catholic, different, but Catholic. I'd like to have the experience to compare with the Novus Ordo and the Latin Mass. I think by attending the Byzantine church, I could learn a little more about the Catholic faith. But I could be wrong. I actually had an interest in the Byzantine Mass before the Latin Mass back when I thought the Latin Mass was simply the same Mass in vernacular language, with priest with his back turned, and the members receiving the Eucharist on the tongue, kneeling.

So revisiting the idea of going to a Byzantine rite Mass, I've found this as a guide http://www.stbasilsinirving.org/stb/whattoexpect .  Anyone got any other advice, suggestions, or thoughts?

Also, like in the Latin Rite (Novus Ordo), are there liberal influences, charismatic movements, and liturgical abuses?

Last B Mass I attended was about 1988 - - the one I went to prior to that was about 5 years earlier and personally, up till then, as a teenager, I always loved them when we could not get to a TLM- - - - amazing how much some things can totally change for the worse in 5 years.

Hope you have a better experience.

Good luck.

There is sometimes a liberal influence here and there, but less so than there was on the TLM in the fifties and sixties. It is difficult for the Modernists to penetrate something that is already too appealing and mystical for them to comprehend. Not to say they understood the TLM either, but they felt like they did.

Over all if you wish to make the change than so be it. I thought about going Melkite myself for a very long time. But I realized that I am a Westerner, no matter how much I may fantasize about being something else. I knew the fascination with being a Melkite would just be a passing fad for me and I would want to go home. So I stayed home. Not to say I think everyone who changes over is doing it for the sake of novelty, but I did not trust myself on the matter.
(07-21-2009, 09:53 PM)sushieater Wrote: Well, not permanently. Just once at least. I'm in love with the Tridentine Mass.

I went to my first Traditional Latin Mass last Sunday. It was a Low Mass. The experience was  a little strange (because it's my first), but I'm absolutely pleased with the Mass! I'm getting ready to order a Missal from either Angelus or Baronius Press.

In the coming weekend I won't be able to attend the Latin Mass because of the hours, distance, and visiting guests from out of town. Since I don't work on Sundays anymore, I thought I'd take the chance to visit the local Byzantine Church.

It's Catholic, different, but Catholic. I'd like to have the experience to compare with the Novus Ordo and the Latin Mass. I think by attending the Byzantine church, I could learn a little more about the Catholic faith. But I could be wrong. I actually had an interest in the Byzantine Mass before the Latin Mass back when I thought the Latin Mass was simply the same Mass in vernacular language, with priest with his back turned, and the members receiving the Eucharist on the tongue, kneeling.

So revisiting the idea of going to a Byzantine rite Mass, I've found this as a guide http://www.stbasilsinirving.org/stb/whattoexpect .  Anyone got any other advice, suggestions, or thoughts?

Also, like in the Latin Rite (Novus Ordo), are there liberal influences, charismatic movements, and liturgical abuses?

Having been a member of Byzantine parishes for decades (Ruthenian and Melkite), I can tell you that they have problems just like everywhere else.  The liturgical anomalies are kept to a minimum, but they crop up here and there.  I once witnessed a nun giving out Holy Communion at the Divine Liturgy, which was forbidden at the time.  And I don't care for the revised liturgy, but that's a preference.  My experience has been that no place is perfect, even the Traditionalist venues.  But then I'm not perfect either.

Go to the Byzantine parish and keep your focus on the worship of God.  You'll do fine.
The Byzantine Liturgy is incredible.
Yes; it is..................
Thanks for the comments and advice!  :pray:
The recent problem with the Eastern Catholics (outside of Central Europe) is that they snake married priests into the West, as clear disobedience against the Holy See. The disobedience destroys.

(07-21-2009, 09:53 PM)sushieater Wrote: Well, not permanently. Just once at least. I'm in love with the Tridentine Mass.

We retrated in early 90's tp Ruthenian chapel for some yrs,even got marreid by Eastern priest, though I remain Roman Rite......I prefer TLM, though occ still go back to Byzantine DL......the High Mass in TLM and DL have much in common.....little with most NO......
On a related note about Byzantine vs. Roman ,  I was baptized and confirmed in the Byzantine rite, which are both done as an infant... however, when I got married, we were married in a Roman rite church (NO, but nothing crazy, happy/clappy).  Before we were married and met with the priest, he said there was "paperwork" that had to be sent to the Bishop and made me sign some kind of papers saying that I was being released from the Byzantine church and was now a member of the Roman rite and had to promise to raise my kids Roman Catholic.  At the time, a million years ago, it didn't matter to me, but now that almost all the NO churches around us are over the top with Charismatic, Life Teen, etc., I am also interested in going back to Byzantine... But now I am wondering.... what am I??  Would I have to switch back again?  What about my kids??  I am guessing that Catholic is Catholic, but in the back of my mind, I'm starting to question whether I did something 'bad' or not.

Since almost everyone on Fish Eaters is so unbelievably knowledgeable about all the rules/regs regarding the church, I figure someone out there can answer.  THANKS