All 44 Catholic Churches that closed in Allentown diocese PA
http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-chur...otogallery

Looks like a lot of those are small neighborhood sized parishes. We should be encouraging more of those, since it makes it easier for lay members to just pop in. Having been apart of a small parish (the Anglican Use - a little over 200 registered parishioners) I can completely understand the financial difficultly in keeping these places going.

Some of those will be greatly missed just on the architecture alone.
I wish they could be moved!!, we need such beautiful churches
This one was my father in law's parish. St. Stanislaus. His father and mother had ten kids. It was built on the nickels and dimes of the Polish coal miners who lived there in row houses in that neighborhood. Mac, it was like you said, they could just walk out the door and go across the street to Mass. 

Edit, not sure I put up the right Picture.

My father in law's father died of black lung. He used to have his youngest fetch him little flasks of moonshine during prohibition when he was ill. My FIL told me that he was really mad to see this Church go before he died. :pray2: The only way you could have traditional neighborhood churches like this these days is if trads all moved to the same area. It's hard to do, what with the economy the way that it is.

"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
And not just how bad the economy is but, the systematic annihilation of manufacturing  local jobs, so men could not stay and make a living and support their wife and kids. But be of good cheer Capitalism will save us all when all the kids have college educations and the world population is diminished to 500 Million as the Wall Street Wizards have prophesied.
tim
This is a very sad post, to see these little churches being closed, and possibly purchased by heretics or infidels.
Some of the churches have an interesting achitecture, it is too bad that some of the nicer ones can't be disassembled and rebuilt in other locations.
As the SSPX keeps building new churches, it doesn't make sense that old ones are being closed down. If the Church was smart there would be a clearing house established that would help in transfering old churches, decorations, statues, pews etc from the dying areas to the developing areas, at least to keep faith with those that donated their pennies and dollars with the assumption that they would be employed for the glory of God.
But of course prejudice and politics will always keep the NO bishops from ever donating anything for the rebuilding of tradition.
Even if dioceses had enough money to keep these afloat, there are not enough priests to staff them.

Pray for priests.  And encourage your sons, nephews, grandsons and neighborhood boys to keep their ears open to the Lord's call.
(07-21-2009, 09:25 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: This is a very sad post, to see these little churches being closed, and possibly purchased by heretics or infidels.
Some of the churches have an interesting achitecture, it is too bad that some of the nicer ones can't be disassembled and rebuilt in other locations.
As the SSPX keeps building new churches, it doesn't make sense that old ones are being closed down. If the Church was smart there would be a clearing house established that would help in transfering old churches, decorations, statues, pews etc from the dying areas to the developing areas, at least to keep faith with those that donated their pennies and dollars with the assumption that they would be employed for the glory of God.
But of course prejudice and politics will always keep the NO bishops from ever donating anything for the rebuilding of tradition.

My father in law's old church was converted into a Mosque. 
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(07-22-2009, 05:27 AM)Jacafamala Wrote:
(07-21-2009, 09:25 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: This is a very sad post, to see these little churches being closed, and possibly purchased by heretics or infidels.

My father in law's old church was converted into a Mosque. 
Man. An old church where I used to ride my bike 15km to serve has closed down. The locals want to buy it and turn it into a culture center....what ever that is

I wonder what would happen if the SSPX would want to take over any of these 44 Churches. Or would the same thing happen to them as it happened in the UK.
http://www.remnantnewspaper.com/Archives...rising.htm