How Would You Act as Pope?
(07-27-2009, 06:19 AM)nsper7 Wrote: This question arises from a discussion on Catholic Answers. Like, if you were Pope, how would you behave? For me, I think I would be very low-key and casual about it. For example, I would probably do away with the all white garb and, instead, simply wear a black cassock or simar with white piping and a white sash around the waist so I'd look like any other Bishop except for the color of the piping and sash (white instead of purple).

One problem with this act is that if the Pope did so, he wouldn't be imitating bishops. Bishops who wear black cassocks with coloured piping are already imitating monsignors (not the other way around; formal bishop's dress is really a purple cassock). Since a monsignor is, by concept, like a servant of the papal court, then ultimately the Pope would be imitating the dress of his servants.

timoose Wrote:HK would be my dresser and I'd let him have free reign on Vestments or Attire  even down to all Parish Priests. You must look the part to be the part. Except no fiddle backs for me period.

I have to agree. I'm not a fan of fiddleback chasubles, either. I call them sleeveless chasubles, and prefer the fuller kind which require the lower ministers to hold up each end as the celebrant walks around, incensing the altar.

As maintainer of the papal image, I would suggest modelling Your Holiness' self after this portrait of Benedict XIV. See how he poses in a dignified and graceful manner. I would also advise keeping a head full of long shock white hair for the Raiden/Saruman/wise wizard look. Appearances are important, so if you start to get fat, I WILL put you on a treadmill and tell the cook to serve you only salads.

Oh, and instead of the sedia gestatoria, try riding on horseback once in a while. It's more medieval, and consequently, more awesome.
(07-28-2009, 09:23 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(07-28-2009, 09:15 PM)nsper7 Wrote:
(07-28-2009, 09:13 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(07-28-2009, 09:10 PM)nsper7 Wrote: I thought the VII and NO Mass were the major issues. The current Pope lifted the excommunications against the four Bishops, but that was over ordination issues. Please explain why there is still a problem if they have recanted their issues?

The validity of the council and mass are not issues.

I don't think you understand the problem...

Now I am confused. If they accept VII and the NO Mass and are willing to submit themselves to the Church and the Pope, then what *is* the problem?

Holiness, you might want to surround yourself with better advisers.  Just sayin.

Go gently on him, you can't put an old head on a young body.
Quote:One problem with this act is that if the Pope did so, he wouldn't be imitating bishops. Bishops who wear black cassocks with coloured piping are already imitating monsignors (not the other way around; formal bishop's dress is really a purple cassock). Since a monsignor is, by concept, like a servant of the papal court, then ultimately the Pope would be imitating the dress of his servants.

I thought there are like three level of dress:

1) Daily Dress
2) Pian Dress
3) Choir Dress

Basically, 1 is for most standard situations. 2 is for more formal situations. 3 is for when actually celebrating the Mass or some other extremely important Church function. Here is a good site I think on it: http://www.catholicsites.org/clericaldress.

When I discuss how I would dress, I am talking about Daily Dress.

Basically, I would dress exactly like a Bishop in Daily Dress cassock except my sash around the waist, the cassock's piping and the zuccheto would be white.

I should add, I might vary my dress if I meet with Anglican or Eastern Orthodox leader to put them more at ease. For example, I might wear the Eastern Catholic style of garb when meeting with the Eastern Orthodox. If meeting with Anglican leaders, I'd probably wear whatever they were wearing (i.e. a double-breasted "sarum" cassock).
(07-28-2009, 10:05 PM)nsper7 Wrote: I should add, I might vary my dress if I meet with Anglican or Eastern Orthodox leader to put them more at ease. For example, I might wear the Eastern Catholic style of garb when meeting with the Eastern Orthodox. If meeting with Anglican leaders, I'd probably wear whatever they were wearing (i.e. a double-breasted "sarum" cassock).

What if you were meeting with nudists?

I think your approach is naïve, the Pope should be as the Pope.

I think that the way to win over the Eastern Orthodox and Anglo-Catholics is to be obsequious, maybe even apologetic. For example, let's say I meet with the Ecumenical Patriarch and let us assume that he is orthodox except for rejecting Papal Infallibility/Supremacy. He keeps refusing to budge on the issue and I finally do this:

I get up from where I am sitting and go and kneel before the Ecumenical Patriarch, "Your All Holiness, I wish I could somehow nullify Papal Infallibity and Supremacy to show you how much I want to see full communion restored between the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox, but I cannot do that, I cannot violate doctrine. Please, look past those doctrine, look past our failings, and work with me to restore the True Church to unity," then kiss the Ecumenical Patriarch's ring and remain prostrate before the Ecumenical Patriarch. And obviously, perhaps at the beginning of the meeting, I would have presented my Papal Tiara that I was crowned in (one of the few reasons I might do a Papal Coronation: that Tiara would make an excellent goodwill offering).

How could the Ecumenical Patriarch refuse at that point?
(07-28-2009, 10:21 PM)nsper7 Wrote: I think that the way to win over the Eastern Orthodox and Anglo-Catholics is to be obsequious, maybe even apologetic. For example, let's say I meet with the Ecumenical Patriarch and let us assume that he is orthodox except for rejecting Papal Infallibility/Supremacy. He keeps refusing to budge on the issue and I finally do this:

I get up from where I am sitting and go and kneel before the Ecumenical Patriarch, "Your All Holiness, I wish I could somehow nullify Papal Infallibity and Supremacy to show you how much I want to see full communion restored between the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox, but I cannot do that, I cannot violate doctrine. Please, look past those doctrine, look past our failings, and work with me to restore the True Church to unity," then kiss the Ecumenical Patriarch's ring and remain prostrate before the Ecumenical Patriarch. And obviously, perhaps at the beginning of the meeting, I would have presented my Papal Tiara that I was crowned in (one of the few reasons I might do a Papal Coronation: that Tiara would make an excellent goodwill offering).

How? Quite easily and you'd be the fool.

They reject the Church on several levels, but your approach will not work and would only strengthen their resolve in their heresy. Also, your statements also border on heresy and are not fitting for the holder of the keys to heaven.

If you truly are discerning a vocation, or actively pursuing priesthood, I would suggest you not post on the forum... The past can haunt the future and the Internet is unerasable.
(07-28-2009, 10:21 PM)nsper7 Wrote: I get up from where I am sitting and go and kneel before the Ecumenical Patriarch, "Your All Holiness, I wish I could somehow nullify Papal Infallibity and Supremacy to show you how much I want to see full communion restored between the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox, but I cannot do that, I cannot violate doctrine. Please, look past those doctrine, look past our failings, and work with me to restore the True Church to unity," then kiss the Ecumenical Patriarch's ring and remain prostrate before the Ecumenical Patriarch. And obviously, perhaps at the beginning of the meeting, I would have presented my Papal Tiara that I was crowned in (one of the few reasons I might do a Papal Coronation: that Tiara would make an excellent goodwill offering).

I wish that I could find a more charitable way to say this, but the passage that I have highlighted in bold simply sickens me to the guts. Do you not love Truth?
(07-28-2009, 10:23 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(07-28-2009, 10:21 PM)nsper7 Wrote: I think that the way to win over the Eastern Orthodox and Anglo-Catholics is to be obsequious, maybe even apologetic. For example, let's say I meet with the Ecumenical Patriarch and let us assume that he is orthodox except for rejecting Papal Infallibility/Supremacy. He keeps refusing to budge on the issue and I finally do this:

How? Quite easily and you'd be the fool.

They reject the Church on several levels, but your approach will not work and would only strengthen their resolve in their heresy. Also, your statements also border on heresy and are not fitting for the holder of the keys to heaven.

If you truly are discerning a vocation, or actively pursuing priesthood, I would suggest you not post on the forum... The past can haunt the future and the Internet is unerasable.

BTW- I sometimes worry (Scrupulous) that these kinds of conversations and wondering what it would be like to be Pope and stuff are sinful. What say you?

Sorry if I said stuff that offended you and others, but I really would like to reunification between the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox.
(07-28-2009, 10:25 PM)veritatem_dilexisti Wrote:
(07-28-2009, 10:21 PM)nsper7 Wrote: I get up from where I am sitting and go and kneel before the Ecumenical Patriarch, "Your All Holiness, I wish I could somehow nullify Papal Infallibity and Supremacy to show you how much I want to see full communion restored between the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox, but I cannot do that, I cannot violate doctrine. Please, look past those doctrine, look past our failings, and work with me to restore the True Church to unity," then kiss the Ecumenical Patriarch's ring and remain prostrate before the Ecumenical Patriarch. And obviously, perhaps at the beginning of the meeting, I would have presented my Papal Tiara that I was crowned in (one of the few reasons I might do a Papal Coronation: that Tiara would make an excellent goodwill offering).

I wish that I could find a more charitable way to say this, but the passage that I have highlighted in bold simply sickens me to the guts. Do you not love Truth?

Well, you didn't read the whole passage. That kind of statement would obviously be more than a little hyperbolic. Obviously, doctrine/dogma cannot be changed and I admit that even there.