Sweets
The lemon stuff, the cookies, the chocolate. ......will all you people please post recipes?  This is killing me.
I posted directions for the lemon fluff above. What other recipe do you want? I've got a great chocolate mousse recipe I'm digging out later, to add to the collection of "desserts that won't heat up the kitchen."

I'm guessing we should wait until this 100 degree weather passes.
(08-11-2009, 09:54 AM)Satori Wrote: I posted directions for the lemon fluff above. What other recipe do you want? I've got a great chocolate mousse recipe I'm digging out later, to add to the collection of "desserts that won't heat up the kitchen."

I'm guessing we should wait until this 100 degree weather passes.

"You take 3/4 of a cup of sugar and mix it with three egg yolks in a bain de marie over low heat. (I don't have a bain de marie and don't see the point. I just stick a small saucepan in a larger saucepan with water in it and it works fine.) Mix it till it's fairly smooth and add the grated zest and juice of one large lemon. Remove from heat. Dissolve two packets of gelatin in two tablespoons of boiling water, then add it to the lemon-sugar-egg mixture. In one bowl, beat up two small cans of evaporated milk till it's twice its original volume, and in another whip up the three egg whites till stiff. Beat the lemon-sugar-egg-gelatin mixture with the evaporated milk, then fold in the egg whites. Pour it into a bowl and refrigerate it until it's stiff.  Just the thing for a hot night."

Sorry I missed this.  I was scanning for the typical recipe format and didn't see it.  Thanks very much. 

One question -- is that plain gelatin?

I also hope my bain de marie is still in one piece.........(ok; what is that?  Like a double boiler?)
Yes, that's plain gelatin.

"Bain de marie" is the Catholic term for a double boiler. (I think the name came from a St. Marie who was martyred by being boiled in hot water.) If you can't find yours, don't worry -- my two saucepan method has always worked well for me.
Okay, here's a simple, fast, refreshing, won't-heat-up-your-kitchen recipe for anyone who wants something good this Sunday. It's very rich, so plan on eating a light meal of salad and bread before having this for dessert.

Chocolate Mousse

5 oz. semisweet chocolate
3 Tbs. powdered sugar
4 1/2 Tbs. strong coffee
2 egg yolks
2 cups whipping cream

Melt chocolate over low heat in a saucepan. Stir in sugar, coffee, and yolks, then whip or stir until smooth. Remove from heat and cool at room temperature. Whip the cream with an electric mixer till stiff peaks form. Gently blend whipped cream and chocolate mixture. Spoon into serving bowls and chill. Makes 6-8 servings.

I like to sprinkle a little cinnamon on mine. It also tastes great frozen.
(08-14-2009, 12:07 PM)Satori Wrote: Okay, here's a simple, fast, refreshing, won't-heat-up-your-kitchen recipe for anyone who wants something good this Sunday. It's very rich, so plan on eating a light meal of salad and bread before having this for dessert.

Chocolate Mousse

3 Tbs. powdered sugar
4 1/2 Tbs. strong coffee
2 egg yolks
2 cups whipping cream

Melt chocolate over low heat in a saucepan. Stir in sugar, coffee, and yolks, then whip or stir until smooth. Remove from heat and cool at room temperature. Whip the cream with an electric mixer till stiff peaks form. Gently blend whipped cream and chocolate mixture. Spoon into serving bowls and chill. Makes 6-8 servings.

Sigh... bad week to start a diet.  :(
(08-14-2009, 12:07 PM)Satori Wrote: Okay, here's a simple, fast, refreshing, won't-heat-up-your-kitchen recipe for anyone who wants something good this Sunday. It's very rich, so plan on eating a light meal of salad and bread before having this for dessert.

Chocolate Mousse

3 Tbs. powdered sugar
4 1/2 Tbs. strong coffee
2 egg yolks
2 cups whipping cream

Moose freezes well. I read that in my Dione Lucas cookbook.
[Image: Portrait-of-a-moose-in-the-snow--C11890974.jpeg]

Dione Lucas was the self proclaimed master of the "ubiquitous egg". She taught me how to make a sweet omelet  soufflé two nights ago. Ah, cest très magnifique!!!
It's that Julie & Julia movie, Satori. It's got me looking at all foods French. This Sunday, I am making Julia's Chicken Fricassee.

Anyway, sweet omelet  soufflé: you separate the eggs, stir the yolks with a little salt and sugar until they're light and fluffy. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold the yolks into the whites with a spatula, gently. Pour it all into a well buttered seasoned cast iron skillet that's just the right temp to gently cook zee eggs. Use a fork to stir/swirl the top around, not allowing the fork to touch the bottom of the pan. When you think it's a little set, you can lift the edge of the soufflé with the fork and peek to see if the bottom is cooked. Then when it's set on the bottom, golden yellow but not brown mind you, put the pan under the broiler to cook the top. When the creation is cooked, pull it out and sprinkle confectioners sugar over top. I served mine with caramelized peaches.

Oh, happy children. My husband wasn't home so he missed the whole production. Next time he can have one. They must be eaten warm, right out of the pan.

Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
I love souffles, savory and sweet. I've got a recipe for apricot souffle that's yummy-yum.
(08-22-2009, 08:34 AM)Satori Wrote: I love souffles, savory and sweet. I've got a recipe for apricot souffle that's yummy-yum.

Eggs are amazing, aren't they?!?!?!?! The things you can do with an egg. Eggs can be blended into anything.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
wow!

Apple pie ...the love of my sister and me too ....think it  most better than any other...whoohoo!

_______
http://www.ichatcatering.com