Found a Watchtower in the front door today
(09-09-2009, 02:13 AM)PaxVobiscum Wrote:   The mention of the word "Catholic" usually means they'll give up on you 

When I tell them I'm Catholic I've gotten the response, "there are several Catholics that belong to our church, you should come and visit."

The sad part is that I'm sure they are correct and that there are many Catholics in their churches.  It's too easy for uncatechized Catholics to get wrapped up in the JW and Mormon cults.

Doesn't the new ecumenism demand that we are to respect all religions as paths to Our Lord?  I'm sure I could find a Bishop that would agree with this.
(09-09-2009, 08:48 AM)timjp77 Wrote:
(09-09-2009, 02:13 AM)PaxVobiscum Wrote:   The mention of the word "Catholic" usually means they'll give up on you 

When I tell them I'm Catholic I've gotten the response, "there are several Catholics that belong to our church, you should come and visit."

The sad part is that I'm sure they are correct and that there are many Catholics in their churches.  It's too easy for uncatechized Catholics to get wrapped up in the JW and Mormon cults.

Doesn't the new ecumenism demand that we are to respect all religions as paths to Our Lord?  I'm sure I could find a Bishop that would agree with this.

Hmm, could be a new technique.  As I said, my family who were JWs are long dead so I'm no longer au courant with their thinking.  They do update (and actually change) their beliefs periodically when the leaders gain "new understanding".

It's sad that Catholics who are witnessed to by any sect don't go to talk to a priest and get some catechesis on the questions that have been raised in their minds. 

On the other hand, it wouldn't do any good if the priest just told them all religions are paths to Our Lord.  :(
I don't know if it's a new technique rather than a very low opinion of the Church...

If a former Catholic is now whooping it up weekly in a building full of JW's, then I guess it's safe to say that they are no longer practicing Catholics.

I don't know where they are on their "updates", but I wasn't kidding about the cigarette and the Holy Ghost.

An - ex JW friend of mine was excommunicated because she smoked.

Period.

Her family has refused to see her for years.

As far as the Holy Ghost -

I once answered the door and did exactly that - I asked them in and invited them to talk about the Holy Ghost after announcing that I was Catholic.

The woman wouldn't even touch me - she laid her pamphlet on the door mat and beat a hasty retreat.

:laughing:
(09-09-2009, 07:28 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(09-09-2009, 02:18 AM)Walty Wrote: Do they often hate the Church for weird, conspiratorial reasons?

Walty, we're talking about Witnesses, not trads.

I'm still laughing about this.  Fishie for you.
The Jehovahs just showed up at my door!  There were two of them, Lisa and Janice.  Lisa was definitely in charge.

Lisa asked me if I had ever felt offended...it was hard not to say, "yeah...I'm offended right now!", but I held my tongue.

Anyway, she asked me if I would take a magazine, and I asked her if I took one of hers, would she take one of mine.  Here's her expression:  :o and then came a resounding NO!  I asked her why not and she said, "Well, we came to your door so we can give you literature.  If you came to ours, then you could give us some."  To which I responded, "Can I follow you home?"  They actually laughed a little, but I could tell they didn't want to!

I gave her one more chance to take some of my literature but she refused.  (I planned to give her a copy of "For the Visitor at Mass" by Angelus Press.)

Here's the kicker, though.  My wife started asking some questions and they asked us what religion we were.  After replying that we were Catholic, Janice said something about how Catholic teachings such as the Trinity are not true.  My wife asked her how she knew that.  When Janice said, "Our research shows that it's not true", my wife, who always gets to the point, said, "Well you can go now."  And they did!

Was she too blunt?   :laughing:
disregard this post.  error
(09-09-2009, 10:02 AM)F-14 Dave Wrote: The Jehovahs just showed up at my door!  There were two of them, Lisa and Janice.  Lisa was definitely in charge.

Lisa asked me if I had ever felt offended...it was hard not to say, "yeah...I'm offended right now!", but I held my tongue.

Anyway, she asked me if I would take a magazine, and I asked her if I took one of hers, would she take one of mine.  Here's her expression:  :o and then came a resounding NO!  I asked her why not and she said, "Well, we came to your door so we can give you literature.  If you came to ours, then you could give us some."  To which I responded, "Can I follow you home?"  They actually laughed a little, but I could tell they didn't want to!

I gave her one more chance to take some of my literature but she refused.  (I planned to give her a copy of "For the Visitor at Mass" by Angelus Press.)

Here's the kicker, though.  My wife started asking some questions and they asked us what religion we were.  After replying that we were Catholic, Janice said something about how Catholic teachings such as the Trinity are not true.  My wife asked her how she knew that.  When Janice said, "Our research shows that it's not true", my wife, who always gets to the point, said, "Well you can go now."  And they did!

Was she too blunt?   :laughing:

I like your style, and your wife's. 

"Can I follow you home?"  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Our research?  :laughing: So did they go ask God? Shoot, I wish some of our JW's would do more than leave pamphlets, that sounds like fun.
Oh! to return to the days of yesteryear, when fathers answered the door in their boxer shorts and wife beater t-shirts, with four children rough housing, and two wailing for a bottle, while mom's preggers again, and missionaries were immediately terrified. Nothing said Catholic as no air-conditioning, screaming parents, wild children, pregnant moms, and all of them wearing miraculous medals. Protestants and others of good will would try to be charitable but could not endure. They couldn't understand why they were craftsman, and had not gone to colleges, nor gotten a B.S. and a career as a desk jockey, or why they insisted on compounding their problems by having sooo many children. And their son tommie would never be allowed near our son, not after he told our little tristan "he was going to go to hell." It was all such a shame, because they cleaned up very nicely on Sunday when they all went to that Catholic Church, and their father even wore a suit and a fedora as if he were a proper wasp. Bad breeding 's all, and it's such a shame.
tim
(09-09-2009, 10:43 AM)timoose Wrote: Oh! to return to the days of yesteryear, when fathers answered the door in their boxer shorts and wife beater t-shirts, with four children rough housing, and two wailing for a bottle, while mom's preggers again, and missionaries were immediately terrified. Nothing said Catholic as no air-conditioning, screaming parents, wild children, pregnant moms, and all of them wearing miraculous medals. Protestants and others of good will would try to be charitable but could not endure. They couldn't understand why they were craftsman, and had not gone to colleges, nor gotten a B.S. and a career as a desk jockey, or why they insisted on compounding their problems by having sooo many children. And their son tommie would never be allowed near our son, not after he told our little tristan "he was going to go to hell." It was all such a shame, because they cleaned up very nicely on Sunday when they all went to that Catholic Church, and their father even wore a suit and a fedora as if he were a proper wasp. Bad breeding 's all, and it's such a shame.
tim

Did you grow up in my neighborhood?