Picking up a pipe.
So within the next month I know I want to pick up a pipe, and I know I want it to be a churchwarden, but I don't know what kind of tobacco I want. Any suggestions?
I'm sorta partial to Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe.

But if you're going to be picking up this instrument of masculinity at a tobaccanist, see what they have to offer. Go ahead and take a whiff.

Don't buy a pouch of Prince Albert at Walgreens. Or anything similar at any similar store. That's only for desperate times. If you are forced to buy tobacco at a drug store or liquor store, just remember that, like flavored coffees, the better they smell, the worse they taste. 
(09-16-2009, 11:06 AM)SoCalLocal Wrote: But if you're going to be picking up this instrument of masculinity at a tobaccanist,

It is a method of enjoying tobacco products. It has nothing to do with masculinity.

(09-16-2009, 11:10 AM)Rosarium Wrote:
(09-16-2009, 11:06 AM)SoCalLocal Wrote: But if you're going to be picking up this instrument of masculinity at a tobaccanist,

It is a method of enjoying tobacco products. It has nothing to do with masculinity.

I've been duped
(09-16-2009, 10:52 AM)WanderingPenitent Wrote: So within the next month I know I want to pick up a pipe, and I know I want it to be a churchwarden, but I don't know what kind of tobacco I want. Any suggestions?

I would agree with SoCal, try to find a good tobacconist and try different flavors. A good tobacconist is like a good bartender and should be able to guide you to the best stuff, but my understanding is that one type of tobacco could be good for one and bad for another. So it really boils down to personal taste.
(09-16-2009, 11:06 AM)SoCalLocal Wrote: Don't buy a pouch of Prince Albert at Walgreens. 

Ohhhhh do I have a joke for you.... . ;D ;D ;D
(09-16-2009, 07:35 PM)Joamy Wrote:
(09-16-2009, 11:06 AM)SoCalLocal Wrote: Don't buy a pouch of Prince Albert at Walgreens. 

Ohhhhh do I have a joke for you.... . ;D ;D ;D

Ah, that piercing sense of humour.
Well, I recommend something other than a Churchwarden for a first pipe. I'm not sure why. I don't own one, but I can understand the appeal.

I would buy a corncob along with whatever you buy so you can try an aromatic, and a tobacco with more of a natural flavor to it (commonly called English blends), without tainting the pipe with contrasting tastes.

For an aromatic I would recommend McClelland's Deep Hollow. Its very Lord of the Rings.

For an english blend, how about some Balkan Saseini, or Old Dublin by Peterson.

But by all means, take a look around. I find Dunhill tobaccos (if you can find any) a little too strong in the nicotine and can only smoke them occasionally, so that's why I didn't recommend them. I recommend 4noggins.com for all your tobacco needs. They've been very friendly, and are fairly priced.
(09-16-2009, 11:10 AM)Rosarium Wrote:

While technically a woman could smoke a pipe, very very few do. I can only recall seeing old pictures of hillbilly women smoking a corncob pipe. Pipe smoking fits into "manly things" like fireworks, potato cannons, and rollaway tool boxes.

Bing Crosby smoked a pipe. Dinah Shore did not.
Sherlock Holmes smoked a pipe. Miss Marple did not.
Widower Steve Douglas smoked a pipe. Widow Shirley Partridge did not.

Need I go on? 
(09-16-2009, 11:06 AM)SoCalLocal Wrote: I'm sorta partial to Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe.

But if you're going to be picking up this instrument of masculinity. 

An instrument of masculinity? No..An instrument of affectatiousness?...maybe...