SSPX or Orthodox
(10-01-2009, 01:00 PM)nsper7 Wrote: I know this is a crazy hypothetical, but it stems from my post on another thread. From the Church's standpoint, if you were in an area that had no Catholic parish, but did have both an SSPX and Orthodox parish, which would be the more licit group to attend? Both SSPX and Orthodox have valid, but illicit, Holy Orders and their Masses/Communion would be valid, but illicit. Neither an SSPX Priest nor an Orthodox Priest (unless said Orthodox Priest were part of the Catholic Church and left) are guilty of schism personally, but neither are they are in full communion with Rome.

I would assume that in the bizarre position of being an area w/ no Catholic parish, but an SSPX and an Orthodox parish, one would be free to choose either the SSPX or the Orthodox equally since there is no valid and licit Mass in the area.
I'd go to SSPX. It's permitted as long as it's not done with a schismatic mindset. And that was true even before the excommunications were lifted

I wouldn't even know how to follow along in an Orthodox liturgy!!    
There is an Orthodox mission in my neck of the woods that is Western rite Orthodox, I've never seen their service but their description sounds like a TLM hold the L. From their web site they seem to be a bunch of traditionalists who left in disgust over the changes post VII when they couldn't have the TLM.
There's one in my town, also; St Nicholas Eastern Orthodox Christian church.  From their website, they sound way more traditional than my parish, as well as the neighboring parishes.

What a shame they're notEastern Catholic, otherwise I'd be there for the Divine Liturgy, instead of at my quite liberal NO parish.

Edited to add "not", as well as a couple of other things.  Thanks, Jovan.
(10-03-2009, 10:05 PM)Texican Wrote: There's one in my town, also; St Nicholas Eastern Orthodox Christian church.  From their website, they sound way more traditional than my parish, as well as the neighboring parishes.

What a shame they're Eastern Catholic.

If they're Eastern Orthodox, they're not Eastern Catholic! :) Just sayin'.
(10-03-2009, 10:26 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: If they're Eastern Orthodox, they're not Eastern Catholic! :) Just sayin'.

Sorry, Jovan; I meant to have the word not in there, before Eastern.  I'm tired, and it's way past my bedtime.  Good thing I get to sleep late, tomorrow morning.  Today, actually.
(10-03-2009, 11:46 PM)Texican Wrote:
(10-03-2009, 10:26 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: If they're Eastern Orthodox, they're not Eastern Catholic! :) Just sayin'.

Sorry, Jovan; I meant to have the word not in there, before Eastern.  I'm tired, and it's way past my bedtime.  Good thing I get to sleep late, tomorrow morning.  Today, actually.

:amen:! Me too.
I think it'll be interesting if I become a Priest. I'd like to learn how to properly celebrate both the NO and TLM.
(10-05-2009, 01:08 AM)nsper7 Wrote: I think it'll be interesting if I become a Priest. I'd like to learn how to properly celebrate both the NO and TLM.

Have you been drinking?
(10-05-2009, 01:27 AM)kimbaichan Wrote:
(10-05-2009, 01:08 AM)nsper7 Wrote: I think it'll be interesting if I become a Priest. I'd like to learn how to properly celebrate both the NO and TLM.

Have you been drinking?

What? I said I would want to be able to celebrate both. Maybe an NO and a TLM each Sunday...double threat, eh? Or perhaps alternate: NO one day, TLM the next.
(10-05-2009, 01:34 AM)nsper7 Wrote: What? I said I would want to be able to celebrate both. Maybe an NO and a TLM each Sunday...double threat, eh? Or perhaps alternate: NO one day, TLM the next.
In order for it to be a double threat, both would have to be threatening to the devil, but the NO clearly plays into his plans.

Study the origin of the NO some more, see where it comes from.  It comes from a spirit of rebellion and a spirit of false ecumenism.