Concerning Lay Preaching and Such
I've never felt more in tune if you will, with Gods will
then when I am defending the faith...maybe this is a delusion... But it never seems like me doing the talking.
(I am not talking about anything I post or discuss here... FE... For me is a steam outlet, a place to get off my chest the outrages we faithfuls have to "suck up" every worldly day)
I have had my Priest ask me to give talks to people this too was like a slice of heaven not because of selfpride or accomplishment (I am a worm and no man) but because it is at those time I can almost " feel " in a sensable way ( "feel" is imprecise but it's the best I can explain ) my Lord at my side. I get the same experience when walking the lines at any antiabortion event. And at those I am mostly keeping silence, carrying a sign or a rosery ( this offered for what it's worth)
(12-26-2009, 06:27 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: For the past 40/50 years Catholics have been all too easily plucked them from the arms of the Church, like candy from a baby. I think this is due to post VII poor catechesis and a post conciliar Church that has attempted to befriend Protestantism.

I agree! In fact, ever since the media age, Catholics have had no representation (outside of Bishop Fulton Sheen :)) on the radio or television air waves. It was ALL Protestant stuff being crammed down our throats until Mother Angelica and EWTN came along. Like it or not, EWTN is responsible for bringing non-Catholics into the Church and for better educating our own.

Jaca Wrote:Furthermore, if it weren't for lay Catholic apologists, I might not have returned to the Catholic Faith. So, I thank God for them.

Again I agree. I would NOT want to see Scott Hahn, Mark Shea, Patrick Madrid, Jimmy Akin, Johnette Benkovic, Rosalind Moss or Tim Staples (especially Tim Staples!!) out of a job. I know some here WOULD like to see them without a job, but not me. They are excellent apologists, mainly Bible apologists who come head to head with Protestants. Perhaps they DO have permission from their bishops. I don't really know how it works, but outside of Dr. Scott Hahn, I'm not sure if the others are theolgians. In their absence, we would have Frs. Mitch Pacwa, Benedict Groeschel, Andrew Apostoli, John Trigilio and John Corapi on the air waves. These priests are preachers, teachers, and theologians, but none of them are apologists (that I am aware of). We need apologists, especially today, and if priests can't/won't take the challenge then I am grateful for the educated laymen who do.

- Lisa

Edited to add: I know the Catholic Answers crowd have priests, one bishop, and a Canon Lawyer on their staff. Also, Johnette Benkovic is assisted by Fr. Ed Silvia.
I think there needs to be a distinction made between Catholic apologetic work and engaging in disputes with non-Catholics.  What this Church decree is referring to is lay Catholics engaging in disputes (i.e. debates) with non-Catholics.  A Catholic apologist can do apologetic work without engaging in debates.  Instead, they can write articles, do speaking engagements, etc., and simply share what the Catholic Faith teaches and the reasons why.  There is no necessity for an apologist to participate in debates.
(12-26-2009, 12:27 PM)ServantofMary Wrote: I think there needs to be a distinction made between Catholic apologetic work and engaging in disputes with non-Catholics.  What this Church decree is referring to is lay Catholics engaging in disputes (i.e. debates) with non-Catholics.  A Catholic apologist can do apologetic work without engaging in debates.  Instead, they can write articles, do speaking engagements, etc., and simply share what the Catholic Faith teaches and the reasons why. There is no necessity for an apologist to participate in debates.

Very true..I have to agree with you there.
Servant of Mary, what about the "call-in radio show" format where informal debating/disputing occurs? Do you think those apologists should just have a show presenting the Catholic truth, but no phone calls? "Questions & Answers" is what CA is all about!

- Lisa
(12-26-2009, 12:34 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Servant of Mary, what about the "call-in radio show" format where informal debating/disputing occurs? Do you think those apologists should just have a show presenting the Catholic truth, but no phone calls? "Questions & Answers" is what CA is all about!

Hey Lisa! Well, after seeing this Church decree and the reasons behind it, I think there is a lot of wisdom in lay people not participating in public debates and disputes.  A call-in Catholic radio show can easily have a rule that they are not there to debate, but to simply answer questions about the Catholic Faith.  I would listen to it!  :)
I like to debate in order to share the Faith, but it's not the only reason; I also debate to learn. Our Catholic Church is true, so I have nothing to fear from questions and what with the internet being as it is, there's so much information right at our fingertips. What an amazing age we're living in. That said, it's important to watch the sources and make sure they're reliable ones. It's also important to be honest and admit when you don't know the answer to some question. You find a lot of people who are just out to "win" debates, and will do anything to "win" the debate, as though they will get a medal or trophy for doing so. But what a waste of time that is.

But, like I said I'll ask my priest.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(12-26-2009, 12:54 PM)ServantofMary Wrote:
(12-26-2009, 12:34 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Servant of Mary, what about the "call-in radio show" format where informal debating/disputing occurs? Do you think those apologists should just have a show presenting the Catholic truth, but no phone calls? "Questions & Answers" is what CA is all about!

Hey Lisa! Well, after seeing this Church decree and the reasons behind it, I think there is a lot of wisdom in lay people not participating in public debates and disputes.  A call-in Catholic radio show can easily have a rule that they are not there to debate, but to simply answer questions about the Catholic Faith.  I would listen to it!  :)

Did G.K. Chesterton only write books and newspaper articles or did he not also engage in public debate? I'm asking.

- Lisa
(12-26-2009, 11:58 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(12-26-2009, 06:27 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: For the past 40/50 years Catholics have been all too easily plucked them from the arms of the Church, like candy from a baby. I think this is due to post VII poor catechesis and a post conciliar Church that has attempted to befriend Protestantism.

I agree! In fact, ever since the media age, Catholics have had no representation (outside of Bishop Fulton Sheen :)) on the radio or television air waves. It was ALL Protestant stuff being crammed down our throats until Mother Angelica and EWTN came along. Like it or not, EWTN is responsible for bringing non-Catholics into the Church and for better educating our own.

I like the old EWTN, and I like Mother Angelica tons, even if she isn't a trad.  The love she has for God and the desire to serve Christ is apparent.  Plus, when a nun tells Modernist and Liberal bishops she'd "blow the damn thing up" (EWTN) before she let them control it, she's got my vote!

Eh, too bad the rabid Neo-Catholics got hold of it.

In any case, you are right, before EWTN there was pretty much nothing except Protestant stuff, and I think Mother Angelica did a great thing by starting the station.
(12-26-2009, 11:58 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Again I agree. I would NOT want to see Scott Hahn, Mark Shea, Patrick Madrid, Jimmy Akin, Johnette Benkovic, Rosalind Moss or Tim Staples (especially Tim Staples!!) out of a job. I know some here WOULD like to see them without a job, but not me.

I want them to have jobs, but not exactly what they are doing.  :laughing:

Quote:They are excellent apologists, mainly Bible apologists who come head to head with Protestants. Perhaps they DO have permission from their bishops. I don't really know how it works, but outside of Dr. Scott Hahn, I'm not sure if the others are theolgians. In their absence, we would have Frs. Mitch Pacwa, Benedict Groeschel, Andrew Apostoli, John Trigilio and John Corapi on the air waves. These priests are preachers, teachers, and theologians, but none of them are apologists (that I am aware of). We need apologists, especially today, and if priests can't/won't take the challenge then I am grateful for the educated laymen who do.

I don't want to start bashing people, some of whom I believe to be working out of love for Christ, but I will say I don't think they are the most intellectually honest bunch of people around.  For example, Jimmy Akin, I believe, claimed that JP2 kissed the koran because he didn't know what it was.  I mean, come on...

At the very least, these people should get STLs and report to a bishop or assigned priest.

I already hear murmurs of "What about you Quis? Aren't you being hypocritical with the website and forum?"  Well, maybe.

But here's my defense.  This is why I don't blog and post what I think on a forum instead.  People can call me on my opinion, and offer correction and other points of view.  I'm not speaking from a virtual "pulpit".  I mean, sure, it's tempting to spew my thoughts from a blog because I like hearing myself talk, but that gets too close to preaching for me to feel comfortable.  Here, it is more discussion and there are safety mechanisms because there are lots of smart people here to catch and question either other.

The website Vox actually wrote, and she is more of an apologist than I, for sure.  But most of the website is just reference material and not commentary on morals and dogma.

When someone goes out and says "This is what the Catholic Church teaches" and does so repeatedly, and not just by reference to materials, but by presenting their opinions and conclusions as Church teaching and Church opinion from a virtual pulpit, that's when it gets sticky.