Converted Catholics........
I just read through another thread about another topic but it was derailed and the topic morphed into the problem, perceived or not, about particular Catholics whom have converted from another faith. I know there are many who post here in which that is just the case and I (me included) do not sometime realize as a cradle Catholic, the difficulty of the transformation into the life in the Church of Rome, especially the blowback from family members and close friends who come from the same faith that you converted from.

I believe this conversion, in my opinion is much more difficult from unchristian faiths than say Protestantism or some kind of quasi-Chrsitian sects because their is a transformation in many ways of your whole culture, even language in some instances. this could be traumatic for many and a stumbling bloc from really considering converting into the Catholic faith or Christian belief system.

I was intrested in the experiences or the opinions on how others who have done this felt.

I've listed faiths to what I believe is the most  conversions into Catholicism, from most difficult to least, Again, it's my personal opinion so any of those with real experience can give some feedback whenever they want and I will respect all opinions since I have always been Catholic.

1. Muslim to Catholic

2. Hindu to Catholic

3.Jew to Catholic

4.Prot/Christian sect to Catholic

5. Pagan/Atheist to Catholic

6. Fallen away or Apostate back to the Church.

These are just a few and I have my own reasons for listing in this order which I would explain if anyone asks, but I would like to know what others believe as well, converted or not.

Maybe this could give other non-converts some insight on the dilemma of those that have or give those that have a chance to tell cradle Catholics what they have/had to endure when they became a part of the True Church.
This is an interesting post, Alaric.  My list follows: 

1. Jewish to Catholic

2. Jehovah's Witness to Catholic

3. Latter Day Saints to Catholic

4. Muslim to Catholic

5. Hindu to Catholic

6. Protestant to Catholic

6. Pagan/Atheist to Catholic

7. Easter Orthodox or Oriental Orthodox to Catholic

8. Fallen away or Apostate back to the Church

Since Muslims already revere Jesus and the Blessed Mother, I rate that an easier conversion than someone coming from Judaism.  I also believe someone converting from the JWs or Mormonism would face more severe shunning from family and friends than someone converting from Islam.  The Church is the Whore of Babylon as far as those flaky unitarian cultists are concerned. 

Of course, my list assumes the convert from Islam lives in the West, which still enjoys a high level of religious liberty.  In Saudi Arabia, my list looks entirely different.   

I don't know, from what I've heard and read through the years, Muslims who convert away from their faith literally catch hell, especially from their families, the one support group you need the most at these times.

Muslims as we know can be quite violent to those who leave Islam, especially the women.

Even spiritually, they struggle tremendously, some even are afraid of demonic-type of "jinn" that would harass them if they leave Islam.

Maybe a convert from Islam on this board could give somemore insight. But just from the very fact that there probably isn't any, kind of proves the difficulty in converting away from Islam.
I think it highly depends on the situation.

Any origin can be a problem.

I think Islam has most strict rules against conversions (death).
A Muslim who leaves Islam is an apostate and, thus, is in grave physical danger. An apostate must be killed according to shari'ah law.

Of course, nowadays since almost no muslim country in the world is ruled by shari'ah law, those executions rarely happen. However, even in secularized muslim countries, an apostate is imprisoned, blackmailed and possibly tortured until he recants. In the West, the apostates may be bullied and threatened but they don't dare to kill them. The communities living in Dar-ul Harb must be protected and avoid being targeted by the legal authorities for sanctioning murder or anything else that goes against the Infidel's own laws and that may put the whole Ummah in danger.

(01-01-2010, 12:53 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: A Muslim who leaves Islam is an apostate and, thus, is in grave physical danger. An apostate must be killed according to shari'ah law.

Of course, nowadays since almost no muslim country in the world is ruled by shari'ah law, those executions rarely happen. However, even in secularized muslim countries, an apostate is imprisoned, blackmailed and possibly tortured until he recants. In the West, the apostates may be bullied and threatened but they don't dare to kill them. The communities living in Dar-ul Harb must be protected and avoid being targeted by the legal authorities for sanctioning murder or anything else that goes against the Infidel's own laws and that may put the whole Ummah in danger.

Murders are common no matter what the laws are.
(01-01-2010, 12:55 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(01-01-2010, 12:53 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: A Muslim who leaves Islam is an apostate and, thus, is in grave physical danger. An apostate must be killed according to shari'ah law.

In the West? Are you familiar with any apostate from Islam being murder in Europe or in America?

I'm not.
(01-01-2010, 12:58 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(01-01-2010, 12:55 PM)Rosarium Wrote:

In the West? Are you familiar with any apostate from Islam being murder in Europe or in America?

I'm not.

There was some girl in the States a while back that refused to return to her home after she became Christian because she feared for her life. I don't think they actually harmed her though. Anyone else remember this?
(01-01-2010, 12:58 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: In the West? Are you familiar with any apostate from Islam being murder in Europe or in America?

I'm not.

I didn't say anything about location.

Where the highest concentrations of Muslims are, there is where it happens usually.
(01-01-2010, 01:09 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(01-01-2010, 12:58 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: In the West? Are you familiar with any apostate from Islam being murder in Europe or in America?

I'm not.

I didn't say anything about location.

Where the highest concentrations of Muslims are, there is where it happens usually.

Certainly, in muslim countries these murders happen much more often, even though most of them are no longer ruled by shari'ah law alone.

My argument was the in the West they refrain from doing so in order to protect the community from outside legal interference and eventual persecution.