The Epiphany Home Blessing
(01-03-2010, 06:54 PM)Antonius Block Wrote: Woo! I was given some blessed chalk today in RCIA along with instructions on how to use it! One of several signs that my class is pretty solid: conservative, non-traditionalist, but definitely friendly to tradition.

congrats!  in a NO parish, right?

my NO parish is 'conservative, non-traditionalist, but definitely friendly to tradition.'  for example, we have adoration and benediction on first fridays and on all fridays of Lent (when we also have stations, of course, and a parish supper ), daily Mass, May crownings at the school, etc.  we didn't have these in the late eighties when we had less than 400 registered families but we've grown to 1200 registered families, including an ever-expanding hispanic community. 

it's more work for the priest since we haven't gotten a second priest.  our priest usually takes the Vigil Mass and three Sunday Masses, and another priest has to drive here to do the Spanish Sunday Mass, or take one of the morning Masses so that our priest can do the Spanish Mass at one. 
I am ashamed to say that I will be undertaking this beautiful custom for the first time and so my question is: I'm not entirely sure if my Diocesan TLM parish will be offering blessed chalk for the faithful to take so would it be possible for me to take simple white chalk and have our Priest bless it for use in the Home Blessing ... or is blessed chalk a kind of chalk prepared in some specific manner? Lastly, is there any particular reason why the material chalk was chosen for this particular blessing?

In Corde Regis,
Joshua
(01-03-2010, 08:34 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:
(01-03-2010, 06:54 PM)Antonius Block Wrote: Woo! I was given some blessed chalk today in RCIA along with instructions on how to use it! One of several signs that my class is pretty solid: conservative, non-traditionalist, but definitely friendly to tradition.

Yup! Your parish sounds like mine in temperament. Plus, we share our space with the FSSP right now, so I can go to mass in the OF at 11 on Sunday, and then the EF at 1! I'm going to be sad when the FSSP get their own church here.
(01-03-2010, 11:30 PM)Joshua Wrote: I am ashamed to say that I will be undertaking this beautiful custom for the first time and so my question is: I'm not entirely sure if my Diocesan TLM parish will be offering blessed chalk for the faithful to take so would it be possible for me to take simple white chalk and have our Priest bless it for use in the Home Blessing ... or is blessed chalk a kind of chalk prepared in some specific manner? Lastly, is there any particular reason why the material chalk was chosen for this particular blessing?

In Corde Regis,
Joshua

if my health allows me to get to Mass on Epiphany, i will take white chalk and ask the priest to bless it, assuming he has time to do so.  maybe it would be better to go today, if has has time.  i have some sacramentals that need blessing, too.

why chalk?  they didn't have magic marker in the old days?  :shrug:  maybe the FE site explains or a search would turn up the reason.

(01-04-2010, 07:39 PM)Antonius Block Wrote:
(01-03-2010, 08:34 PM)i.p.i. Wrote:

Yup! Your parish sounds like mine in temperament. Plus, we share our space with the FSSP right now, so I can go to mass in the OF at 11 on Sunday, and then the EF at 1! I'm going to be sad when the FSSP get their own church here.

well, we don't have the EF but there's always hope for the future.  our priest of 20 years retired for health reasons in june, died in december, R.I.P.  our new priest was a seminarian in the parish about 18 years ago and he and Father M. maintained a mentoring relationship/friendship so i don't expect him to re-introduce folk Masses [first thing Fr.M. got rid of when he took over as pastor!] 

if you walked into our church and looked around, you'd think it was FSSP or SSPX until you realized there's no altar rail, which is easily corrected.  i hope there will be enough demand that we can get an FSSP priest to say the TLM occasionally.  i'm going to bring it up with the new pastor.  my health causes me to miss Mass often and prevents me from traveling to the FSSP church.

(01-03-2010, 11:30 PM)Joshua Wrote: I am ashamed to say that I will be undertaking this beautiful custom for the first time and so my question is: I'm not entirely sure if my Diocesan TLM parish will be offering blessed chalk for the faithful to take so would it be possible for me to take simple white chalk and have our Priest bless it for use in the Home Blessing ... or is blessed chalk a kind of chalk prepared in some specific manner? Lastly, is there any particular reason why the material chalk was chosen for this particular blessing?

In Corde Regis,
Joshua

As far as I know it is just regular blackboard chalk that is blessed.