Poll: How do you / dose your family tithe?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Tithing
10% to parish.
i get $300 a month for my allowance (more or less) and i give about 15% to 18% to charity and Church. Church takes up slightly more than 10%. I agree that time given to the Church is far more valuable whether in working around the parish or in prayer, although money is always more welcome when there are enough people to work in the Church!
I give about 10% net split between parish and charity.  I give a lot of my time as well, in teaching CCD and in preparing music and playing the organ, but if you've heard my organ-playing, you'd know that should really count against me  :laughing:
(01-05-2010, 09:59 PM)cgraye Wrote: but if you've heard my organ-playing, you'd know that should really count against me  :laughing:
I doubt that...I'm sure your playing is like the singing of the angels. I'm sure your parish is grateful for your contribution even if it's not exactly heavenly.
I chose "10% split between parish and charity".

We tithe 10% of our take-home pay. We divide it up according to the recommendation of our annual Archdiocesan Appeal:

- 5% to local parish
- 3% to Archdiocesan Annual Appeal
- 2% to charity of choice

We don't have an opportunitiy to donate "time" to our parish, since we live about an hour away. We also don't have much talent, LOL.  :laughing:
Before we started homeschooling, the parish was VERY strict about tithing 10% or pay school tuition.  I had to bring them pay stubs so they could verify I was giving enough.  But you did not have to pay a tuition no matter how many children attended school if you were a 10% tither.  I understand where they are coming from, but I still didnt like it very much.  Since we started homeschooling, we have stopped giving so much.  I give 20 bucks every Mass, and I'm not sure what percentage that is.  I also give to other charities on top of that.
(01-05-2010, 09:59 PM)cgraye Wrote: ...but if you've heard my organ-playing, you'd know that should really count against me  :laughing:

Same here.

I think I probably should put fifty dollars into the collection every time I touch our organ as restitution.
I only give what I can depending on the paycheck for the pay period. We were also having a second collection a few months back to buy a monstrance so that on Sundays when Fr. cant make it in we can have adoration at least. Thats at my SSPX Church. Which is sad because the NO parish I attend has 3 monstrances and only one gets used. The NO i occasionaly attend used to get a few bucks here and there but since our Jesuit province has declared bankruptcy because of huge sex abuse scandals I have quit giving anything.. I just dont feel like paying for Fr. McFeelyaup's molesting of alter boys.
We come pretty close to 10%. The wife handles that stuff. I didn't even learn how much we earned until I signed the tax return last year! The majority of our tithing goes to the parish. There are other Catholic charities that get money from her - I mean, us - from time to time. They must; we have this huge pile of rosaries, prayer cards, medallions, and return address labels sent by various groups.

We also sent a pretty hefty chunk of money to the Walk for Life organizers. Months ago they sent an appeal because some of the sponsors scaled back. We've been to it. It was great getting in the faces of the lunatic left in San Francisco, on their home turf. And there were enough of us to scare them with the realization that not all California thinks like they do. If we can't attend it, we can at least make sure it still happens every year. It's not an exclusively Catholic thing, but Catholics dominate it.

(01-06-2010, 02:25 AM)SoCalLocal Wrote: We come pretty close to 10%. The wife handles that stuff. I didn't even learn how much we earned until I signed the tax return last year! The majority of our tithing goes to the parish. There are other Catholic charities that get money from her - I mean, us - from time to time. They must; we have this huge pile of rosaries, prayer cards, medallions, and return address labels sent by various groups.   
:laughing: yeah too much cheep religious crap is a good sign of frequent donations. I wish they'd spend my money doing more good than sending me junk mail.
(01-06-2010, 02:25 AM)SoCalLocal Wrote: We also sent a pretty hefty chunk of money to the Walk for Life organizers. Months ago they sent an appeal because some of the sponsors scaled back. We've been to it. It was great getting in the faces of the lunatic left in San Francisco, on their home turf. And there were enough of us to scare them with the realization that not all California thinks like they do. If we can't attend it, we can at least make sure it still happens every year. It's not an exclusively Catholic thing, but Catholics dominate it.   
That's great! I think the only thing I want to join heretics...I mean separated brethren...in is fighting the liberal weirdos. Good for your wife...I mean your family.