i went to a tlm today...
(01-07-2010, 11:25 PM)salome Wrote: Nevertheless there is a difference in the understanding of human sexuality, particularly in marriage, between the East and the West.  Anyone interested in learning further about those differences will have to Google an Eastern/Orthodox Catechism online.  I'll just leave it at that.

The eastern "orthodox" are schismatics and heretics. There's nothing to learn from them and there's nothing they could teach Holy Mother Church, since she is the guardian and mistress of Truth.
(01-07-2010, 11:36 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(01-07-2010, 11:25 PM)salome Wrote: Nevertheless there is a difference in the understanding of human sexuality, particularly in marriage, between the East and the West.  Anyone interested in learning further about those differences will have to Google an Eastern/Orthodox Catechism online.  I'll just leave it at that.

The eastern "orthodox" are schismatics and heretics. There's nothing to learn from them and there's nothing they could teach Holy Mother Church, since she is the guardian and mistress of Truth.

What about Eastern Catholics? There have been Eastern Doctors of the Church.

I understand that but my point is that many Eastern Rite Catholics still use the Orthodox theology books, old and new.  When you visit www.byzcath.org you will see references and links to both Roman Catholic and Orthodox news or faith issues, etc.  And as I mentioned the priest I go to, who is biritual and was a priest for the Eastern Rite for 5 years, now back in the Latin Rite, recommends Orthodox writers/theologians to me for spiritual reading.  So, it is not as black and white as it perhaps once was, although I am doubting that these days as well.  What was the year of the Greek Catholic agreement that was just recently posted?  1585? 1595?  :)
(01-07-2010, 11:40 PM)WanderingPenitent Wrote:

What about Eastern Catholics? There have been Eastern Doctors of the Church.

What's your point? Haven't you understood what I said? I talked about the eastern "orthodox" whom Salome referenced, not the eastern catholics.

And as far as they go, I still have my reservations, especially those post-schism, that is to say, all that exist nowadays. Many of them are still "orthodox" in disguise and haven't lost their pitiful taste for anti-Catholic or anti-Western rhetorics.
(01-07-2010, 11:44 PM)salome Wrote: I understand that but my point is that many Eastern Rite Catholics still use the Orthodox theology books, old and new.  When you visit www.byzcath.org you will see references and links to both Roman Catholic and Orthodox news or faith issues, etc.

This is a sad consequence of Vatican II and ecumenism. Byzcath is nothing but an orthodox site pretending to be catholic. Unfortunately, the same could be said of many eastern clergy,
(01-07-2010, 11:47 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(01-07-2010, 11:44 PM)salome Wrote: I understand that but my point is that many Eastern Rite Catholics still use the Orthodox theology books, old and new.  When you visit www.byzcath.org you will see references and links to both Roman Catholic and Orthodox news or faith issues, etc.

This is a sad consequence of Vatican II and ecumenism. Byzcath is nothing but an orthodox site pretending to be catholic. Unfortunately, the same could be said of many eastern clergy,

So the all those Ukrainians, Melkites, and Balkan Catholics I've heard so much about being persecuted are too small a number to be substantial or are merely being ignored by the liberal Eastern Catholics clergy who live in Western countries?
(01-07-2010, 11:52 PM)WanderingPenitent Wrote:

So the all those Ukrainians, Melkites, and Balkan Catholics I've heard so much about being persecuted are too small a number to be substantial or are merely being ignored by the liberal Eastern Catholics clergy who live in Western countries?

Are you trying to play smart or is it just my impression?

Well I disagree with you Vetus.  I hope this doesn't come across condescending or unkind but I just want to say that I know it is a shock to a lot of Catholics to learn all of this new stuff about the East because we were never taught it as "Western" Catholics.  But the truth is the Truth and history is history.  We can deny it or we can accept it.  I have chosen to accept it...meaning I have chosen to accept all of the Church not just the Roman half and I have found immense peace ever since.  As I said before I can't imagine my life without the Eastern Church now...without its theology.  The Son (son) does indeed rise in the East. 

Have a great evening!  I must finish my late shift now!  :)

Gospodi pomilui
(01-07-2010, 11:55 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(01-07-2010, 11:52 PM)WanderingPenitent Wrote:

Are you trying to play smart or is it just my impression?

If I was trying to play smart I would have posted an internet meme or used a smiley of some sort. I am aware that many Eastern Catholics have schismatic tendencies, but I am also aware that many are persecuted for not having those tendencies (ex: Society of St. Josaphat).
(01-07-2010, 11:56 PM)salome Wrote:

Well I disagree with you Vetus.  I hope this doesn't come across condescending or unkind but I just want to say that I know it is a shock to a lot of Catholics to learn all of this new stuff about the East because we were never taught it as "Western" Catholics.   But the truth is the Truth and history is history.  We can deny it or we can accept it.  I have chosen to accept it...meaning I have chosen to accept all of the Church not just the Roman half and I have found immense peace ever since.  As I said before I can't imagine my life without the Eastern Church now...without its theology.  The Son (son) does indeed rise in the East. 

Have a great evening!  I must finish my late shift now!  :)

Gospodi pomilui

It seems to me that you're flirting with heresy and schismatics. I hope it's just a phase, like the initial phase of those who are clouded by passion and cannot discern truth and danger.