Rumors of a Holy Week 2010 Papal Surprise
Here is the short article by VerbumPatris making the rounds:

Quote: Various blogs and news agencies have been reporting on ‘well informed sources’ who say that the Holy Father will unveil a ‘good surprise’ to the Catholic world during this years Holy Week celebrations.

Originally mentioned at Catholic Sector, suggestions on the likely surprise range from the return of the Sedia Gestatoria, to the end of Communion in the hand and even the beatification of Pope John Paul II. Me thinks some may be loosing the run of themselves. Other sources say that Easter Mass at the Vatican may be celebrated Ad Orientem, but all Mass at the Vatican are celebrated ‘towards the East’ as St Peter’s faces east.

The Mass in the Extraordinary Form celebrated by the Holy Father, possibly on Holy Thursday is the rumour that seems to have most weight behind it, but even this seems impossible at the present, but who knows?

Personally, as it is the Year for Priests and the announcement is to be made (supposedly) on Holy Thursday, I would imagine it has something to do with a document that the Vatican has been preparing on the formation of Priests and Religious. But I’m only guessing, I suppose we will just have to wait until Holy Week to find out, and pray until then that whatever the surprise is, it will be for benefit of the Church and give glory to God.
(Link: http://verbumpatris.wordpress.com/2010/0...is-easter/)

This is being talked about on all sorts of Catholic blogs so at the very least it's become a pretty prolific rumor.

Who knows if there is anything to it.  My only opinion on the matter is that I do not think there is any way that the Holy Father would restore the Sedia Gestatoria at this time.  With the abuse scandals and the most recent charges against Pope Benedict it would seem that he would move more toward a humble and penitential presentation of the Church's hierarchy for the time being.  I'd still love to see him bring it back.

Any thoughts on whether there is any substance to the rumor and, if there is, what the surprise might be?
My prediction is: nothing that any traditionalists will care about.
Stay tuned.
Force all priests to celebrate ad orientem. :D
I don't want to jinx the whole thing, but I am predicting a full-on traditional Latin Mass for Holy Thursday by Benedict XVI.  The Pope will be excoriated by nearly everyone, Catholics and non-Catholics alike, for doing such a thing.  Then, the Pope will further reaffirm all the traditional practices of the Holy Catholic Church.  He wil be despised by fully 80% of those calling themselves Catholic.  Half of the remainder will be thoroughly confused.  Only 10% will remain faithful.  Benedict will "lay down the law" during the Triduum, completely unaffected by those suggesting he is splintering the Church.  The Church will emerge on Easter Sunday smaller but extremely solid, and in a few weeks people will be banging on the doors of their local Catholic Churches wondering how they can join.
(03-28-2010, 09:41 PM)cgraye Wrote: My prediction is: nothing that any traditionalists will care about.

That's my guess.
Some may read my post above as wishful thinking, or somewhat of a joke.  Please do not do so.  While I am just putting out some thoughts, it was not intended as a joke or a crazy wish at all.  I expect fireworks this week.  It's gotta happen sometime, and the time is ripe.  If I am wrong, sue me later.
(03-28-2010, 10:15 PM)Anthem Wrote: Some may read my post above as wishful thinking, or somewhat of a joke.   Please do not do so.  While I am just putting out some thoughts, it was not intended as a joke or a crazy wish at all.  I expect fireworks this week.  It's gotta happen sometime, and the time is ripe.  If I am wrong, sue me later.

You think all of that is going to happen this week?  Are you saying that Holy Father is going to merely celebrate a public TLM or that he's going to take action to do away with the NO too?

This does seem like pretty wishful thinking to me but I'm hoping you're right even though I'm admittedly highly, highly doubtful anything like that will happen anytime soon.
I'm praying it's the end of communion in the hand. That would have the biggest impact on the Church both doctrinally and liturgically.
Since it is "good news for Catholics", I vote it is the sainthood of JPII.  NeoCaths would consider that good news.