Errant priests’ secret children to sue church
Apparently a new wave of sex scandal of a different type is starting. I'm sure the timing is just a coincidence.
==========
Quote:The Sunday Times
April 18, 2010
Errant priests’ secret children to sue church: The Vatican faces fresh scandals over the children of priests
By John Follain in Rome and Bojan Pancevski in Vienna

When Pat Bond told her lover Henry Willenborg, a Franciscan priest, that she was pregnant, he urged her to have an abortion.
Bond, who was 28, had a miscarriage and then became pregnant again. This time Willenborg’s superiors urged her to give up the child for adoption.
Bond, from Missouri, kept the child but agreed to a vow of silence. In a signed contract with the Catholic Church, she undertook to keep the priest’s identity secret in exchange for financial support for her son, Nathan.

In America, Britain, Ireland, Germany, France, Italy and Austria, women made pregnant by priests have signed such pledges in exchange for hush money from the church

Continued at:  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment...100920.ece
It's very hard to not begin thinking that something very serious is rising up to confront the Church in a terrifyingly powerful way.
WOw,From the Times!? No way,I mean they are always so reliable and so ProCatholic,it must be true.I mean surely even if they are a bunch of Liberal Protestants,they are still SOOOOO Honest.

Get a life you Anti-Catholic Troll T.T
(04-18-2010, 12:02 AM)St.Ambrose Wrote: WOw,From the Times!? No way,I mean they are always so reliable and so ProCatholic,it must be true.I mean surely even if they are a bunch of Liberal Protestants,they are still SOOOOO Honest.

Watch your mouth.
(04-18-2010, 12:02 AM)St.Ambrose Wrote: WOw,From the Times!? No way,I mean they are always so reliable and so ProCatholic,it must be true.I mean surely even if they are a bunch of Liberal Protestants,they are still SOOOOO Honest.

unknown has never appeared to be a troll to me.  Nor was any particular opinion given on this thread to make one think that.
Quote:Cait Finnegan, of the Good Tidings association, an American charity for priests and their lovers, has been contacted by nearly 2,000 women who had relationships with priests. She said one pregnant friend had been told by a bishop to “get rid of the child” — a comment she took to mean she should have an abortion. The woman kept the baby.

That's a significant number.

i know of a case where a woman had an affair with a priest and had a child, but blood tests showed the child could not be his.  yet he and the diocese paid child support for years, maybe until the child was grown.  crazy.  

the good news is that some priests are normal heterosexual men.  the bad news is that they broke their vows. 
The pressuring for the abortion, if true, is the most alarming part of the story. Really, it's no secret that many churchmen, even highly placed, have trouble living up to their vows, and even from the medieval period (not to mention the abundance of such cases in the Renaissance) are many accounts of long-term, de facto marriages that produced illegitimate issue, who nonetheless were often provided for and educated.

All that bothers me much less than the open questioning of Church teaching on morals and clerical celibacy.

Not to defend the man, but I'm presently working through the Latin poetry of the Renaissance-era Cardinal Pietro Bembo, a great Platonist-inclined humanist and capable cardinal who did, however, violate his vows with a partnership that was intimate, tender, and produced beloved children, on top of an affair with Lucrezia Borgia.

His brief epitaph for his oldest son, who succumbed at only eight to the pestilential summer conditions of northern Italy, is touching in its honest, sad simplicity.

meter: elegiac distich

Lucilii Bembi filii epitaphium

O multum dilecte puer, quae dura parenti
Fortuna invidit te superesse tuo?
Quam producebam laetus te sospite vitam,
Erepto peior morte relicta mihi est.

edit:

Translation (by Mary P. Chatfield)

Epitaph for Lucilio Bembo, My Son

O much loved boy, what harsh fate
Begrudged that you should survive your parent?
The life which I used to lead in my happiness while you were safe,
Once you were snatched away, remains worse to me than death.
(I don't read latin, translation please!) :)

EDIT:
Thanks alot!  ;D
(04-18-2010, 12:14 AM)damooster Wrote:
Quote:Cait Finnegan, of the Good Tidings association, an American charity for priests and their lovers, has been contacted by nearly 2,000 women who had relationships with priests. She said one pregnant friend had been told by a bishop to “get rid of the child” — a comment she took to mean she should have an abortion. The woman kept the baby.

That's a significant number.

2000 out of 400,000 in the past 50 years. This is half out of 100 in 50 years. I remember 3 cases among the less than 100 presidential candidates in the past 20 years  Some people are mathematically challenged or abuse such challenge of others.

In the good old times the saying was that feces happens but humans do now chew on faces.