For those who think it is a sin to attend a Novus Ordo mass...
If the only two options are a Novus Ordo mass and an Eastern Orthodox liturgy, which do you choose?
neither.
(04-30-2010, 08:13 PM)Melkite Wrote: If the only two options are a Novus Ordo mass and an Eastern Orthodox liturgy, which do you choose?

There is more than one issue here. In the absence of a Catholic mass, we are not required to attend alternatives. We can attend schismatic sects with valid orders in emergencies for certain sacraments though.

So, the issue is if the Novus Ordo valid? If it is, then it is more suitable than the Eastern Orthodox, which are also valid, but schismatic. If the Novus Ordo is not valid, then there are more serious issues at hand, as the Church would be shown to be fallible in a matter in which it should not be, and it would be illogical to go to any Mass of any sect as the Church from which they all sprung was shown to be false.
Here's a question...if there is no NO Mass or TLM available and the only option is a Satanic black Mass should I go?

(04-30-2010, 08:54 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: neither.

Agreed.
(04-30-2010, 09:28 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(04-30-2010, 08:13 PM)Melkite Wrote: If the only two options are a Novus Ordo mass and an Eastern Orthodox liturgy, which do you choose?

There is more than one issue here. In the absence of a Catholic mass, we are not required to attend alternatives. We can attend schismatic sects with valid orders in emergencies for certain sacraments though.

So, the issue is if the Novus Ordo valid? If it is, then it is more suitable than the Eastern Orthodox, which are also valid, but schismatic. If the Novus Ordo is not valid, then there are more serious issues at hand, as the Church would be shown to be fallible in a matter in which it should not be, and it would be illogical to go to any Mass of any sect as the Church from which they all sprung was shown to be false.

Well said.  The Catholic Church has two forms of the Mass: the Ordinary Form and the Extraordinary Form.  Both are Catholic Masses.  It seems heretical to me to suggest that one of the Church's two approved forms of the Mass, and the Ordinary Form at that, is not valid.  Many priests who celebrate the EF are not in union with the Vicar of Christ, successor of Peter.  Ubi Petrus, ibi ecclesia, ibi Deus.  How are they then not effectively Protestants, refusing to accept papal authority to change the Mass?  Vatican II was not the first time the Mass was changed by any means.

Should the Ordinary Form return to some of the practices of the Extraordinary Form?
Yes, in my opinion it should.  But it is valid as it is, like it or not, because four Popes have declared it so and celebrated it. 

(04-30-2010, 09:28 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:

Yes, the Novus Ordo Missae is indeed valid as promulgated. Not always as offered, but as promulgated, yes. Though there are other problems, I don't dispute its validity of consecration.
none
(05-02-2010, 02:15 AM)Baskerville Wrote: none

None...what?
I'll go to the NO [I do so currently out of necessity], however, I shall never go to a Schismatic liturgy or a heretical service If I can help it: thank you very much. If it's a choice between an invalid or sacriligeous NO and an Orthodox schismatic liturgy: I'm staying home and praying the Holy Rosary and pray with my missal.