What is the worst liturgical abuse you have seen personally?
A couple of years ago at a Traditional Latin Mass, the priest completely eliminated the consecration of the Precious Blood.  Was the Mass valid?  Was the Sacrifice complete?  I dinna kin.  All I know is I was scandalized like I've never been scandalized before and it is, without a doubt, the single worst abuse I've ever encountered at Mass.  Period.
(05-11-2010, 01:10 AM)DrBombay Wrote: A couple of years ago at a Traditional Latin Mass, the priest completely eliminated the consecration of the Precious Blood.  Was the Mass valid?  Was the Sacrifice complete?  I dinna kin.  All I know is I was scandalized like I've never been scandalized before and it is, without a doubt, the single worst abuse I've ever encountered at Mass.  Period.

How do you know that for sure every Mass I have been to this part is said silently by the Priest.
(05-11-2010, 01:22 AM)Baskerville Wrote:
(05-11-2010, 01:10 AM)DrBombay Wrote: A couple of years ago at a Traditional Latin Mass, the priest completely eliminated the consecration of the Precious Blood.  Was the Mass valid?  Was the Sacrifice complete?  I dinna kin.  All I know is I was scandalized like I've never been scandalized before and it is, without a doubt, the single worst abuse I've ever encountered at Mass.  Period.

How do you know that for sure every Mass I have been to this part is said silently by the Priest.

Because I've served enough Masses to know the rythym of the Canon and the priest in question does not say the Canon silently in any case.  He went from "hoc est enim corpus meum" to "unde et memores..." with no intervening elevation of the chalice. 
(05-11-2010, 01:29 AM)DrBombay Wrote:

Because I've served enough Masses to know the rythym of the Canon and the priest in question does not say the Canon silently in any case.  He went from "hoc est enim corpus meum" to "unde et memores..." with no intervening elevation of the chalice. 

There's a big difference between omissions of malice and omissions owing to physical and psychical frailties.
Speaking of negligence, we had a priest who was supposedly very orthodox who used to say Mass without a chasuble, just his clerics and a stole.  There were no kneelers for us, so the only people who knelt were the Mexicans and myself.  I actually allowed myself to feel ashamed when one of the modernist adolescents teased me for being a holy joe.
Many years ago when I still went to the NO, they had these women eucharistic ministers.  Once, during the summer, one came dressed in these really low-cut jeans and a gauze blouse that frankly left not very much to the imagination.  She actually looked--and dressed--like Britney Spears.    I was truly disgusted and wondered how on earth men were supposed to go to Holy Communion in a holy state of mind and purity of thought.  I never went back to the NO again.  That was sort of the frosting on the cake for me. :o
So much in the NO is off the cuff and poorly prepared with little care for it.  You get the impression from so many NO priests that the sacrificial character of the Mass isn't important.  They're there for relaxation and they're competing with Mass consumer society in its own terms.  Surprising it is not then that so few men are in attendance on Sunday morning and prefer instead, you'd think, to stay at home and wash their car or watch the game.
(05-11-2010, 10:15 AM)Augstine Baker Wrote:

There's a big difference between omissions of malice and omissions owing to physical and psychical frailties.

Obviously.  Latin covereth a multitude of sins.  ::)

The priest might not be culpable if it were due to frailty but that wouldn't make an invalid Mass valid.  I'm pretty sure that the Mass Dr. Bombay described was not valid.
(05-11-2010, 11:51 AM)DrBombay Wrote:

Obviously.  Latin covereth a multitude of sins.  ::)

Are you some kind of genius who can fit round pegs into square holes?