State of the Church in Jakarta?
I'm thinking of working for a year in Jakarta, Indonesia after I graduate from college. Anyone know what the state of the Church there is like? I wonder if I could establish the first Gregorian schola in the entire country (since the Council, anyway).
Why dont you write to Barack Barry Sotero Obama he seems to know lots about Jakarta, Indonesia he was a citizen. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
http://www.ucanews.com/dps/html/Indonesia.php

Check out this great website about the church in Asia including Indonesia
Isnt that one of the places where Christians are turning up without heads due to muslim savages?
(06-06-2010, 11:15 PM)Baskerville Wrote: Isnt that one of the places where Christians are turning up without heads due to muslim savages?

Not any more than, say, England. Jakarta is an archdiocese with almost half a million registered Catholics. There are some more Protestants out and about as well. There are occasionally acts of violence by jihadists in Bali or the far eastern islands (near Papua New Guinea), but I've never heard of beheadings. But that happens just about anywhere.
(06-06-2010, 10:54 PM)salus Wrote: http://www.ucanews.com/dps/html/Indonesia.php

Check out this great website about the church in Asia including Indonesia

Thanks.

I see that the archdiocese of Jakarta celebrated a 200th anniversary in 2007. 200 years ago, Louis Bonaparte (Napoleon I's younger brother) was installed as a puppet king by the French Empire over Holland. He was, however, a serious Catholic, and as the first Catholic Dutch king since the Reformation, he established religious liberty for Catholics, and an Apostolic Vicar was sent to "Batavia". Before then, Catholic priests caught in VOC (Dutch East India Company) territory were subject to the death penalty.

Actually, Louis Bonaparte took his job as king more seriously than Napoleon wanted. He actually tried to learn Dutch, renounced his French citizenship, and required all his courtiers to do the same. He also refused to reduce interest on loans to France or send troops to the Russia campaign. It wasn't long before Napoleon forced him to abdicate. However, Louis' son later became Emperor Napoleon III.
(06-06-2010, 11:28 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(06-06-2010, 11:15 PM)Baskerville Wrote: Isnt that one of the places where Christians are turning up without heads due to muslim savages?

Not any more than, say, England. Jakarta is an archdiocese with almost half a million registered Catholics. There are some more Protestants out and about as well. There are occasionally acts of violence by jihadists in Bali or the far eastern islands (near Papua New Guinea), but I've never heard of beheadings. But that happens just about anywhere.

Well thats good. But I swear I have read that Christians have had a real hard time in Indonesia. Just be careful if you do move we dont need a dead HK.
(06-07-2010, 01:33 AM)Baskerville Wrote: Well thats good. But I swear I have read that Christians have had a real hard time in Indonesia. Just be careful if you do move we dont need a dead HK.

Aww. Well, although I'm not going to Jakarta for altruistic reasons, I also want to do some good for Christ and the faith (e.g. setting up a Gregorian schola or helping train acolytes for the Tridentine Mass or something within my capability). If I get blown up in the process, I'll at least get to perhaps qualify for the title of "first FE martyr".

There are, to my knowledge, only two Tridentine Masses in Jakarta per month, and it is nonexistent elsewhere in the entire country; one is by a traveling Society priest who comes down from Singapore, the other is by a diocesan priest in private residences, whose identity is best kept away from the archbishop. I don't mind supporting either community, or both if they don't cause a fuss about it.
true, the SSPX priest goes down monthly from my priory here in Singapore. But i cannot imagine going down to a place where there is only one Traditional Mass per month.

We do need people like you to aid the small community though. God bless you very much if you go!  :)
(06-07-2010, 06:24 AM)karyn_anne Wrote: true, the SSPX priest goes down monthly from my priory here in Singapore.

Ah, so it's one of your priests? (Priors?)

I also wouldn't mind living in Singapore, if there are cool jobs there. According to Forbes, Singapore is the #1 best city for expatriates to live and work. Do you need a Gregorian schola?