Protestant Miracles, exorcisms,etc?
No...according to Fr. Amorth, at least.  He states in his book that such things are "gifts of Satan."
Unigenitus condemned the belief that there is no grace outside the Church. Granted, that must be the case if anyone was ever to convert, but perhaps it leaves enough room for one of the baptized to invoke such spiritual assistance for another.
(06-07-2010, 06:51 PM)Underdog Wrote: No...according to Fr. Amorth, at least.  He states in his book that such things are "gifts of Satan."

I don't really find that kind of response satisfactory. There's no proof for it and any heretic or pagan can say the same of the miracles in the Catholic Church.
(06-07-2010, 11:45 AM)Underdog Wrote: No, prots cannot exorcise, but they can intone prayers of deliverance.  From Fr. Amorth's book, An Exorcist Tells His Story:
Quote:"These signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons" (Mk 16:17).  This power, which Jesus granted to all those who believed in him, is still fully effective.  It is a general power, based on prayer and faith.  It can be exercised by individuals and by communities.  It is always available  and does not require special authorization.  However, we must make it clear that in this case we are talking about prayers of deliverance, not of exorcisms. (pg. 43)
Quote:Only the sacramental insititued by the Church can be called "exorcism". (pg. 44)
Quote:It is a mistake to call exorcisms those forms of private or common intercessory prayers that in reality are only prayers of deliverance. (pg. 44)

The difference between a prayer of deliverance and exorcism is that the former is meant to help a person turn away from sin while the latter is meant to free them from a demonic possession.  Fr. Amorth lists the Anima Christi as a prayer of deliverance in the appendix of his book.  The conclusion seems to be that "exorcisms" done by those who are not true exorcists are in reality nothing more than the practice of witchcraft, and any "miracles" wrought are a gift of Satan.

Sorry but you are wrong. On page 172 of "An Exorcist Tells His Story" Father Amorth refers to Protestant exorcisms:
" On the other hand, some Protestant denominations do not take this approach. Even in Rome there are some who take the matter very seriously. They investigate an occurrence, and when after their process of discernment they find evidence of diabolical activity, they exorcise with an efficacy that many times I was able to witness personally." (emphasis added)

C.
In my opinion, such purported exorcisms by protestant ministers may be successful only by the Devil's good will, in order to sow a bit more confusion in the minds of the catholic and protestant faithfuls as to demonstrate that catholicism and protestantism stay on an equal level.

I was told of an exorcism centuties ago that was performed  by two prot pastors in a northern country in Europe. That time the Devil spoke them through the mouth of the possessed woman saying:
"I, the Devil,  I am a better believer than yourselves since I, Satan, I believe that Jesus is truly present in the Holy Eucharist".
Useless to say that immediately  they both fled scared to death.
Are there any commentaries by the Fathers, etc. on this passage? It seems as if it may apply to non-Catholic exorcisms/miracles.

Mark 9:37 John answered him, saying: Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, who followeth not us, and we forbade him. 38 But Jesus said: Do not forbid him. For there is no man that doth a miracle in my name, and can soon speak ill of me.
(06-08-2010, 09:43 AM)SaintSebastian Wrote: Are there any commentaries by the Fathers, etc. on this passage? It seems as if it may apply to non-Catholic exorcisms/miracles.

Mark 9:37 John answered him, saying: Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, who followeth not us, and we forbade him. 38 But Jesus said: Do not forbid him. For there is no man that doth a miracle in my name, and can soon speak ill of me.

I've heard that passage used to defend the 30,000 some odd Protestant denominations that are out there...
(06-08-2010, 09:43 AM)SaintSebastian Wrote: Are there any commentaries by the Fathers, etc. on this passage? It seems as if it may apply to non-Catholic exorcisms/miracles.

St. Augustine says this:
"We must take care that this saying of the Lord appear not to be contrary to that, where He says, He who is not with me is against me. Or will any one say that the difference lies in that here He says to His disciples, For he that is not against you is on your part, but in the other He speaks of Himself, He who is not with me is against me? As if indeed it were possible that he who is joined to Christ's disciples, who ate as His members, should not be with Him. How if it were so, could it be true that he that receives you receives me? Or how is he not against Him, who is against His disciples? Where then will be that saying, He who despises you, despises me? But surely what is implied is, that a man is not with Him in as far as he is against Him, and is not against Him as far as he is with Him. For instance, he who worked miracles in the name of Christ, and yet did not join himself to the body of His disciples, in as far as he worked the miracles in His name, was with them, and was not against them: again, in that he did not join their society, he was not with them, and was against them. But because they forbade his doing that in which he was with them, the Lord said to them, Forbid him not; for they ought to have forbidden his being without their society, and thus to have persuaded him of the unity of the Church, but they should not have forbidden that in which he was with them, that is, his commendation of the name of their Lord and Master by the expulsion of devils. Thus the Church Catholic does not disapprove in heretics the sacraments, which are common, but she blames their division, or some opinion of theirs adverse to peace and to truth; for in this they are against us. "

http://www.catecheticsonline.com/CatenaAurea-Mark9.php

Father Amorth is also of  the same opinion as yours: "It is obvious that not only Catholics but everyone who believes in Christ has the power to expel demons in his name." 
From "An Exorcist Tells His Story" pp.172-173

C.

http://www.olrl.org/stories/exorcism.shtml

Another reason why I ask. See above. Fr. Michael Müller also relates this same story in his book: "The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. [An excellent book and very helpful towards one's soul; inflaming it with a most holy charity towards the Blessed Sacrament, the Holy Catholic Church and also a despising of the heresies; especially of those heresies that deny the Holy Mass or that the Holy Eucharist becomes the true Body and Blood of Christ.]
Yeah...but what about Benny Hinn...he is truly a modern day prophet and miracle worker with all kinds of heavenly powers

LOL...just kidding. I can not believe there are people stupid and desperate enough to fall for his lies and send him money

(06-07-2010, 04:40 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(06-07-2010, 01:24 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote: I'm interested to hear the answers. In the late 19th and early 20th century there was a guru in India called Sai Baba who allegedly levitated, cured the sick, read minds and even appeared to his followers in bodily form after his death. There are first hand testimonies to support this. I obviously don't believe that Sai Baba had supernatural powers but there seems to be a lot of supporting evidence for these events, just as there is supporting evidence and testimony for the miracles of Our Lord in the gospels.

Keep in mind this is a society which is routinely bound by superstition and mob mentality.

Those gurus have never done anything not easily explainable and most are simple trickery easily revealed as such to anyone familiar with illusionists.

However, for the most extreme cases, which are never like Good miracles but sorcery if it exists, demons exist and the false gods of others are demons.