Prayer in Old English
How would the prayer "O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee" be in Old English and Middle English?

I checked an online old engilsh translator and gave it a try. For you experts out there (I'm thinking mainly of Herr here) does this make sense: "Maria, asmead butan fyren, bidd fore us hwa feccan firth in the"?
(10-22-2010, 10:26 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: How would the prayer "O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee" be in Old English and Middle English?

I checked an online old engilsh translator and gave it a try. For you experts out there (I'm thinking mainly of Herr here) does this make sense: "Maria, asmead butan fyren, bidd fore us hwa feccan firth in the"?

I have studied Anglo-Saxon, but am not expert.

There are several dialects of Anglo-Saxon and historical attestation is usually necessary to say if something is correct or not. In what I have studied, the vocabulary necessary to translate is not.

For Middle English though, you can also use the Early Modern English version. The main changes in English were of pronunciation and grammar. The grammar of Late Middle English was not that different from Modern English. Orthography is another story though.
THK might be able to help, too.
Thanks for your inputs.
(10-23-2010, 08:58 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: THK might be able to help, too.

Beyond my league, unfortunately.