Occupation 101
Occupation 101

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance ...

... it's the illusion of knowledge."

http://hubpages.com/hub/Occupation-101
Ignorance and the illusion of knowledge?
They're one and the same thing aren't they?

One of those stupid statements that sounds wise.
(11-06-2010, 03:56 PM)columb Wrote: Ignorance and the illusion of knowledge?

Not necessarily.  One can be ignorant and realize they are; then they are wise.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates (paraphrased)
The quote is how the video series 'Occupation 101' starts.  I realize that most here see the occupation of Palestine as wrong but some don't.  The quote is directed to those that have fallen for what the US media says regarding the Israeli/Palestinian dispute.  I figured they'd want to know that a lot of Jews, even many in Israel do not support Zionism, with many Israeli academics calling for a one state solution, not two.
The place now called Israel (the State of Israel) was held by the Ottoman Turks.  After the Turks were defeated, the British took control of the area.  Britain decided to create a Jewish haven.  This angered the Moslems in the region.  Later, the Jews declared their independence from British rule and established the state of Israel.  This enraged the Moslems in the region, a war ensued, but the Israelis were neither conquered nor evicted.  This fact riles Moslems in the region; thus their continued persecution of that teeny tiny state.

So, the land fell from the Turks to the Brits, and the Brits were justified in using their spoils in any way they chose.  So what's the big deal?
The Balfour Declaration conflicted with England's previous promise of self rule for the Arab inhabitants.  This previous English promise was for the Arabs roll in overthrowing the Ottoman Empire.  The quote speaks to you Underdog.  You need to watch the 'Occupation 101' video series. 
(11-06-2010, 04:37 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(11-06-2010, 03:56 PM)columb Wrote: Ignorance and the illusion of knowledge?

Not necessarily.  One can be ignorant and realize they are; then they are wise.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates (paraphrased)

Yes I see what you mean. ..I've just taken my first step to wisdom.  :fish:
(11-07-2010, 04:49 PM)mikemac Wrote: The Balfour Declaration conflicted with England's previous promise of self rule for the Arab inhabitants.  This previous English promise was for the Arabs roll in overthrowing the Ottoman Empire.  The quote speaks to you Underdog.  You need to watch the 'Occupation 101' video series. 

Are you kidding me?!  The state of Israel is .1%....that's POINT one percent...a TENTH of 1%...of the total sq mileage of the Ottoman Empire.  That's less than a drop in a bucket.  That there is anyone crying over a tenth of one percent of land in a region that size is LUDICROUS!  The Arabs are just a bunch of bawling babies...and if you're joining them in their crying jag...then you're a crybaby too.  As my granny used to say, "Crybaby cry, my eyes are dry, I'm laughing up my sleeve to see the crybaby cry."  :laughing:
(11-07-2010, 08:20 PM)Underdog Wrote:
(11-07-2010, 04:49 PM)mikemac Wrote: The Balfour Declaration conflicted with England's previous promise of self rule for the Arab inhabitants.  This previous English promise was for the Arabs roll in overthrowing the Ottoman Empire.  The quote speaks to you Underdog.  You need to watch the 'Occupation 101' video series. 

Are you kidding me?!  The state of Israel is .1%....that's POINT one percent...a TENTH of 1%...of the total sq mileage of the Ottoman Empire.  That's less than a drop in a bucket.  That there is anyone crying over a tenth of one percent of land in a region that size is LUDICROUS!  The Arabs are just a bunch of bawling babies...and if you're joining them in their crying jag...then you're a crybaby too.  As my granny used to say, "Crybaby cry, my eyes are dry, I'm laughing up my sleeve to see the crybaby cry."   :laughing:

That's not the point. The point is that the English broke their promise to the Palestinian Arabs and let a Jewish state emerge in the Holy Land. One didn't need to be a psychic back in 1948 to see the disastrous effects of that policy.
(11-07-2010, 08:32 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: That's not the point. The point is that the English broke their promise to the Palestinian Arabs and let a Jewish state emerge in the Holy Land. One didn't need to be a psychic back in 1948 to see the disastrous effects of that policy.

So, the English only delivered on 99.9% of their promise...still seems like they're [the Arabs] just pouting over an imaginary injury.