Is Australia a good place for a Catholic?
According to a friend of mine who is a policeman there, possession of even air guns (BB guns!) is highly regulated there, to give you an idea. He thinks that's good, but I differ! :laughing:
(11-18-2010, 12:52 PM)salus Wrote: Jesus never ran away.

Actually, He did.

His father, St. Joseph, took Him and His mom to Egypt when Herod was about to implement the policy of killing all the firstborns.

Also, he often avoided crowds when he thought it was timely.
(11-18-2010, 03:33 AM)karyn_anne Wrote: there seems to be a relatively large number of traditional priests and parishes in Australia compared to other continents.

Don't know about the police state or if the culture there is as bad and decadent as elsewhere though, but i know that there are a number of parishes with daily Mass and Catholic schools for the kids run by the SSPX, ICKSP and maybe even the FSSP (not sure about the schools part for them). Not bad at all...

Thanks karyn_anne. 

(11-18-2010, 03:59 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(11-18-2010, 02:12 AM)Jitpring Wrote: Running away is no use. Wherever you go, there you are.

“The locus of all disorder is not external to us, but is found in our own souls. If we do not begin there, we cannot begin."

-James V. Schall, "On Learning & Education": http://tinyurl.com/yjqxly

I agree.  There is no "Promised Land".  The whole world is a vale of tears.  Stand and fight.

I suppose those emigrants who fled Hitler's Germany and Stalin's Russia before the takeovers were also "doing something of no use."  I bet that if they stood and fought, there'd be no Nazi Germany or Soviet Union! 
hirsch hat rocketman in your avatar????
(11-18-2010, 05:05 PM)icecream Wrote: hirsch hat rocketman in your avatar????

It's that guy who flies around on a jetpack!
(11-18-2010, 05:04 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:
(11-18-2010, 03:33 AM)karyn_anne Wrote: there seems to be a relatively large number of traditional priests and parishes in Australia compared to other continents.

Don't know about the police state or if the culture there is as bad and decadent as elsewhere though, but i know that there are a number of parishes with daily Mass and Catholic schools for the kids run by the SSPX, ICKSP and maybe even the FSSP (not sure about the schools part for them). Not bad at all...

Thanks karyn_anne. 

(11-18-2010, 03:59 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(11-18-2010, 02:12 AM)Jitpring Wrote: Running away is no use. Wherever you go, there you are.

“The locus of all disorder is not external to us, but is found in our own souls. If we do not begin there, we cannot begin."

-James V. Schall, "On Learning & Education": http://tinyurl.com/yjqxly

I agree.  There is no "Promised Land".  The whole world is a vale of tears.  Stand and fight.

I suppose those emigrants who fled Hitler's Germany and Stalin's Russia before the takeovers were also "doing something of no use."  I bet that if they stood and fought, there'd be no Nazi Germany or Soviet Union! 

If the USA becomes a police state, there isn't going to be any safe place in the world. If things are that bad in the USA...they will be much worse anywhere else. If we don't make our last stand in the USA then the world is doomed.

(11-18-2010, 05:12 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:
(11-18-2010, 05:05 PM)icecream Wrote: hirsch hat rocketman in your avatar????

It's that guy who flies around on a jetpack!

oh! good to know!

i dont know why it good to know, but i felt it appropriate response

i'd like to have one of those things. i would fly to the catskills and look for that mountain house gman was talking about
(11-18-2010, 05:46 PM)Petertherock Wrote: If the USA becomes a police state, there isn't going to be any safe place in the world. If things are that bad in the USA...they will be much worse anywhere else. If we don't make our last stand in the USA then the world is doomed.

Exactly like it or not America is the freest place in the world. And I know people who live in other countries Australia for one.
(11-18-2010, 12:52 PM)salus Wrote: Jesus never ran away.
He did when it was prudent:

John 10:31-40 Wrote:The Jews then took up stones to stone him. [32] Jesus answered them: Many good works I have shewed you from my Father; for which of these works do you stone me?  The Jews answered him: For a good work we stone thee not, but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, maketh thyself God. Jesus answered them: Is it not written in your law: I said you are gods? If he called them gods, to whom the word of God was spoken, and the scripture cannot be broken;

Do you say of him whom the Father hath sanctified and sent into the world: Thou blasphemest, because I said, I am the Son of God? If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if I do, though you will not believe me, believe the works: that you may know and believe that the Father is in me, and I in the Father. They sought therefore to take him; and he escaped out of their hands. And he went again beyond the Jordan, into that place where John was baptizing first; and there he abode.

While it is possible He used some extraordinary means to escape (considering he was probably around quite a few of them), it is likely He just used normal human methods of getting away.
As for Australia, my understanding is that it's a wasteland for genuine Catholicism. Your only hope would be to associate with the SSPX.