E-readers, which one? What's best for Catholics?
I am considering the purchase of an e-reader such as Kindle or one of the others (Barnes and Noble's Nook, etc) but I'm wondering what trad Catholics consider in making this decision?
Who here on the forum has an e-reader and why did you buy your particular model?
Also, what Catholic resources are available for e-readers? Is any one model better for trads than others or are they all about the same?

C. 
I don't think there's a magic trad answer or anything, but I have a Sony Reader PRS-900 and the old Sony Reader PRS-505.

The Sony Reader book store has very little that's worthwhile for me, but I just download stuff from Project Gutenberg or documentacatholicaomnia.eu and load those on. There are a few pieces of software that will let you format a text file for easier reader on an e-reader, too.

I have no idea if the Kindle or any of those are better in some way. They might be, but the Sony Reader is the only one I have experience with, and it's not bad. There's plenty of Catholic literature out there for free on the internet that you can read on an ebook device.
(11-20-2010, 06:46 AM)Cetil Wrote: I am considering the purchase of an e-reader such as Kindle or one of the others (Barnes and Noble's Nook, etc) but I'm wondering what trad Catholics consider in making this decision?
There are few competing e-readers now. There are a lot of models out there, but the best ones seem to be the Kindle and the Nook.

These are associated with bookstores, so naturally, if one uses one of those bookstores often, the one released by it would be a good first choice.

I have a Kindle: http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...649.0.html

Quote:Who here on the forum has an e-reader and why did you buy your particular model?
I have a Kindle 3 and I got it (pre-order) because of the Kindle reviews and its features and because I use Amazon a lot.

Quote:Also, what Catholic resources are available for e-readers? Is any one model better for trads than others or are they all about the same?
They are not the same. Look for:

* Connectivity. The Kindle has 3G and WiFi (or just WiFi) so you can use it nearly anywhere to connect to Amazon and even use its browser to browse the web. There is no cost for using 3G. You can read the Nook description to see what it offers.
* Screen. The Kindle 3 uses an improved electronic ink, which gives it more contrast. The new Nook Color uses an LCD screen (backlit screen). The other Nook versions use electronic ink.
* Dimensions and weight.
* Support. They are not very useful if you cannot easily get content for them in a way you want.

Since the competition seems to be the Kindle and Nook, I  would see what was available for either. If you get the Kindle though, there is a high quality Clementine Vulgate available for only 99 cents! http://www.amazon.com/The-Clementine-Vul...310&sr=8-5

See the "Also bought" books for what else is available. It happens that the Summa (mobi) was the first book I bought for the Kindle when I got it.

I have used a Sony Reader (Touch), and the Kindle has surpassed it in every way. Sony is having trouble making e-book readers beyond the hardware.

Thanks for the responses, this is very helpful!
Rosarium,
Is it true that you have to send the Kindle back to Amazon for battery replacement?

C.