Hope?
This past Sunday I visited my parents and found a parish near them that I thought was celebrating the TLM (the website said Solemn Mass). When I arrived, I realized that it was the Ordinary Form in Latin. Realizing that it was already late and I wouldn't make my Sunday obligation if I left, I decided to stay. Besides, I've wanted to see how Mass is celebrated in this way.

I was actually surprised: the Mass was celebrated ad orientem, everything in Latin (except for the homily and Gospel readings), tons of incense, reverence etc. They even had two single kneelers for those that chose to receive Holy Communion while kneeling and I would say about 90% received that way. The celebrant even talked about the harmful effects of false ecumenism during his homily. The parish made their own missal, and at the front of it, they discuss how V2 was misinterpreted and ignored because Latin and Gregorian Chant was actually encouraged.

To get to my point, the parish was packed and this was a very large parish. The Ordinary Form in Latin can't compare to the TLM (in my opinion) but it got me thinking: are people starting to recognize the beauty of tradition? There's another parish in the area that offers the Ordinary Form in Latin and it's supposedly packed every Sunday too. Maybe people are starting to desire Latin, Gregorian Chant, and reverence?
They're trying to suck in traditionalists and conservative NO types who are aware of the abuses going on in the church, by giving them a carrot on a stick.  Don't be deceived - it might look like the Mass, sound like the Mass, and even smell like the Mass, but it isn't.
I agree with Damooster that people are longing for trad practices and some Churches are starting to accomodate that which is what this place sounds like since they mention the misinterpretation a VII but I also agree with Paragon that many of these places are set up just to lure trads away from the true faith and into NO la la land.
People are hungry for God.  The worse society gets, the more hungry they will get.  God gives everyone a chance, even if He has to bring them to their knees.  While this place may be on their way, they still have a long way to go.  Pray for them that they someday get it.
I tend to disagree with Paragon I think this is a step in the right direction. However because of the way and reason for the creation of the NO the TLM can never be replaced.

The NO was not the reform but a byproduct of it.
It is a "first step."
(11-29-2010, 07:34 PM)paragon Wrote: They're trying to suck in traditionalists and conservative NO types who are aware of the abuses going on in the church, by giving them a carrot on a stick.  Don't be deceived - it might look like the Mass, sound like the Mass, and even smell like the Mass, but it isn't.

But it is, otherwise, the Church is wrong and everything unravels.

The issue is if it is sacrilegious or not.

The judgement must stand on facts, not on prejudice.
(11-29-2010, 08:56 PM)Rosarium Wrote: But it is, otherwise, the Church is wrong and everything unravels.

The true Church is never wrong.  :fish:
(11-29-2010, 07:26 PM)damooster Wrote: This past Sunday I visited my parents and found a parish near them that I thought was celebrating the TLM (the website said Solemn Mass). When I arrived, I realized that it was the Ordinary Form in Latin. Realizing that it was already late and I wouldn't make my Sunday obligation if I left, I decided to stay. Besides, I've wanted to see how Mass is celebrated in this way.

I was actually surprised: the Mass was celebrated ad orientem, everything in Latin (except for the homily and Gospel readings), tons of incense, reverence etc. They even had two single kneelers for those that chose to receive Holy Communion while kneeling and I would say about 90% received that way. The celebrant even talked about the harmful effects of false ecumenism during his homily. The parish made their own missal, and at the front of it, they discuss how V2 was misinterpreted and ignored because Latin and Gregorian Chant was actually encouraged.

To get to my point, the parish was packed and this was a very large parish. The Ordinary Form in Latin can't compare to the TLM (in my opinion) but it got me thinking: are people starting to recognize the beauty of tradition? There's another parish in the area that offers the Ordinary Form in Latin and it's supposedly packed every Sunday too. Maybe people are starting to desire Latin, Gregorian Chant, and reverence?

Yet some here will tell you that the Novus Ordo Rite is so completely infected with modernism that it is not Catholic, can never be made so, and should not be attended even to satisfy one's Sunday obligation.

You've obviously learned something important!
(11-29-2010, 07:34 PM)paragon Wrote: They're trying to suck in traditionalists and conservative NO types who are aware of the abuses going on in the church, by giving them a carrot on a stick.  Don't be deceived - it might look like the Mass, sound like the Mass, and even smell like the Mass, but it isn't.

Absolutely preposterous.