Evolution
(12-22-2010, 07:27 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(12-22-2010, 07:16 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: I try to keep it simple. So much of modern science does have an atheistic bias that I simply ignore it. I'd rather hold a simple faith in a world that was literally created in the manner Scripture and the Fathers say it was in the short time period that most agree on, period, close the book. One can study the science if one chooses to do so, but I have enough to study about the faith and enough to do in working out my own salvation than to delve into the murky waters of science/religion debates and where they may or may not intersect. My only prayer is for a  simple faith. I think we need to know our type of personality, talents and inclinations and work with them accordingly, Those that have the mind for science can certainly delve into it but I don't and so I simply do not pay attention to anything going on in the science world. To involve yourself in things that you are not prepared to handle or understand can destroy your faith and as it says in Holy  Scripture "without faith it is impossible to please God" meaning without Catholic Faith since there is no salvation outside the Church.

Well said!

Really?  It's not even close to the other comments you've posted in this thread.
(12-22-2010, 08:33 PM)A Catholic Thinker Wrote:
(12-22-2010, 07:16 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: I try to keep it simple. So much of modern science does have an atheistic bias that I simply ignore it. I'd rather hold a simple faith in a world that was literally created in the manner Scripture and the Fathers say it was in the short time period that most agree on, period, close the book. One can study the science if one chooses to do so, but I have enough to study about the faith and enough to do in working out my own salvation than to delve into the murky waters of science/religion debates and where they may or may not intersect. My only prayer is for a  simple faith. I think we need to know our type of personality, talents and inclinations and work with them accordingly, Those that have the mind for science can certainly delve into it but I don't and so I simply do not pay attention to anything going on in the science world. To involve yourself in things that you are not prepared to handle or understand can destroy your faith and as it says in Holy  Scripture "without faith it is impossible to please God" meaning without Catholic Faith since there is no salvation outside the Church.

Well said!

Really?  It's not even close to the other comments you've posted in this thread.

You're right, no, it's not. But does that mean I must disagree with what he said?

If you've understood my posts properly, you'd understand that I don't necessarily support the evolution theory; I've only said that the theory of evolution as narrowly defined doesn't explicitly contradict the Catholic Faith. That doesn't mean anything beyond what it means and certainly doesn't have any affect on my admiration for a simple faith.
Catholic Thinker-

Perhaps not, but in the last few weeks I have really tried to do some thinking about my spiritual life and have decided that the best course for me is to pray for a simple faith and leave the debates on this stuff to others. It has cluttered my mind to get too involved with this stuff. That's all. I hope you don't think whatever i said is some sort of dig at you. From the looks of it you are interested in this stuff and have the mind to weigh the evidence and deal with it and after really thinking it over I do not. I'm just sharing, not trying to argue with you here.
(12-22-2010, 10:32 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(12-22-2010, 08:33 PM)A Catholic Thinker Wrote:

Well said!

You're right, no, it's not. But does that mean I must disagree with what he said?

If you've understood my posts properly, you'd understand that I don't necessarily support the evolution theory; I've only said that the theory of evolution as narrowly defined doesn't explicitly contradict the Catholic Faith. That doesn't mean anything beyond what it means and certainly doesn't have any affect on my admiration for a simple faith.

Fair enough!

Would you like a tiny sneak-peak, bird-eye view of my reply to the modernism thread which I have been working on on & off (mostly off) for weeks now?  Here it is: you win.  Now don't let that go to your head.
The utter incompatibility of Darwinian evolution and Sacred Scripture must be recognized. If belief in Adam and Eve is destroyed, then our entire Catholic Faith falls to pieces.

Because, if evolution is true then Adam and Eve did not even exist. If Adam and Eve did not exist, then there is no such thing as original sin. If there's no such thing as original sin, there is no need to be redeemed from original sin. If there is no need for a redeemer, then there is no need for the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity to become Man and die on the Cross for our sins. If there is no such thing as the Sacrifice of the Cross then there is no such thing as the sacrifice of the Mass, etc., etc., etc.

Evolution is simply critical for the atheist agenda.  I have seen this agenda firsthand living in France, and may the gracious Lord spare us from it.  Why is evolution kept alive? Why are we not told that Darwinism is dead? That there is devastating evidence against the theory of evolution? Because ___ if evolution is taken away, practically every major world view of our modern day will have nothing to support it and will come crashing to the ground. Modernism. Communism. Secular Humanism. Eugenics. The New Age Movement and even the atheistic United Nations ___ are all based upon the theory of evolution and could not survive without it. Take evolution away, and it would destroy the entire godless superstructure of our modern world in which all these erroneous ideas and institutions reign supreme.

Pax,
Father IND
(12-23-2010, 09:46 PM)InNomineDomini Wrote: The utter incompatibility of Darwinian evolution and Sacred Scripture must be recognized. If belief in Adam and Eve is destroyed, then our entire Catholic Faith falls to pieces.

Because, if evolution is true then Adam and Eve did not even exist. If Adam and Eve did not exist, then there is no such thing as original sin. If there's no such thing as original sin, there is no need to be redeemed from original sin. If there is no need for a redeemer, then there is no need for the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity to become Man and die on the Cross for our sins. If there is no such thing as the Sacrifice of the Cross then there is no such thing as the sacrifice of the Mass, etc., etc., etc.

Evolution is simply critical for the atheist agenda.  I have seen this agenda firsthand living in France, and may the gracious Lord spare us from it.  Why is evolution kept alive? Why are we not told that Darwinism is dead? That there is devastating evidence against the theory of evolution? Because ___ if evolution is taken away, practically every major world view of our modern day will have nothing to support it and will come crashing to the ground. Modernism. Communism. Secular Humanism. Eugenics. The New Age Movement and even the atheistic United Nations ___ are all based upon the theory of evolution and could not survive without it. Take evolution away, and it would destroy the entire godless superstructure of our modern world in which all these erroneous ideas and institutions reign supreme.

Pax,
Father IND

Evolution and Darwinism aren't the same thing.

This has been covered in the thread.
(12-23-2010, 10:53 PM)A Catholic Thinker Wrote:
(12-23-2010, 09:46 PM)InNomineDomini Wrote: The utter incompatibility of Darwinian evolution and Sacred Scripture must be recognized. If belief in Adam and Eve is destroyed, then our entire Catholic Faith falls to pieces.

Pax,
Father IND

Evolution and Darwinism aren't the same thing.

This has been covered in the thread.

That is why I referred to it as Darwinian Evolution, meaning Evolution as promulgated by Darwin.
Pax,
Father IND
Why is it not possible to affirm the existence of Adam and Eve while accepting evolution? It is possible for two members of a pre-human form of life to have evolved, by God's guidance and direction and through his giving souls to them, into the first two humans. Then, original sin happened, and the dogma is preserved.

All others of the population (apart from Adam and Eve) would not have been given souls by God, so while they would have the physical characteristics of humans, they would not be human. Therefore, there were still only two original humans; the only difference is the method by which God created them.
Some people get too worked up over a total non-issue.  If evolution is true...rock on...if it is false...rock on.  I've met too many people in my life who are so heavenly (and Dogmatically) minded that they're of no earthly good.  The message of Christ doesn't change just because the two different creation stories of Genesis aren't consistent with modern science. 
I agree to a certain extent, and my previous post was a piece of an apologetics article meant to describe the dangers of subscribing to worldly theories that conflict with dogma. Indeed, the evolution debate is a complex one.