Evolution
(12-28-2010, 06:04 PM)Nic Wrote: A day to God could be 1000 years is a tired argument.  God chose to write Scripture through humans, and he used terms relative to us, for we are restricted by time, language and other factors.  When he states it as a "day," then it is a day, not some sort of code.  All of the early Church Fathers who commented on the subject agreed that it was 6 literal 24 hour days (and yes, St. Augustine proposed that it MAY have been in an instant, but still held to 6 literal days).  Also, the PBC stated that "Genesis doesn't contain purified myths."  That really shuts things down for Catholics who try to promote evolution, not to mention the anathema issued by Vatican I.

Here's proof positive that you are intellectually dishonest.  You claimed once before in this very thread that "all the Church Fathers" believed in 24-hour creation "days" and I showed that that was not at all true. 

This is quite pathetic - why fear the truth?
Did he say ALL? As in every single church father or did he say nearly all?
If your going to berrate someone for being intelectulaly dishonest then at least properly qoute him
pull up his qput and post it
(12-28-2010, 11:01 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Did he say ALL? As in every single church father or did he say nearly all?
If your going to berrate someone for being intelectulaly dishonest then at least properly qoute him
pull up his qput and post it

Uh - it's about two inches up: "All of the early Church Fathers who commented on the subject..."
So what? Oh pls spare me he's not being dihonest I'd anything u r if u think the church fathers belived in the religion of evolution
so
sip
what ever
Oh, by the way, I'll just note one more time (the 5th time in this thread maybe) that I do not believe any sort of (theistic) macro-evolution likely occurred, in the mechanisms normally thought (random mutation & natural selection), because of the *evidence* against it.

I realize that doesn't matter to those with the intellectual need to cling to simplistic, extreme positions (and even assert that such a position is the only one possible for a Catholic against the clear teachings of the Church - even the pre-V2 Old Church).
(12-28-2010, 11:17 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: So what? Oh pls spare me he's not being dihonest I'd anything u r if u think the church fathers belived in the religion of evolution
so
sip
what ever

Keep telling yourself such a simplistic, nonsensical reduction is all there is to it.
In the end what's important is to not fall for any thng thas anything that contridict the faith and what God hi self told us through sacred tradition and Holy scripture
yes I'm a simple man
Catholic "Thinker" - holding to evolutionism while trying to maintain Catholicism is what is truly "intellectually dishonest" when we have all the proof necessary from Scripture, Tradition and the Magesterium - not to mention TRUE science backing it up.

Show me ONE early Church Father who held to the belief that the earth was millions of years old, and that we are a product of molecules-to-man evolution from some primordial soup.  Come on Catholic "Thinker," let me see just ONE quote!  And you say that I am being "intellectually dishonest"  - give me a break.  You and all the other "theistic evolutionists," besides being intellectually dishonest, are being cowards because you would rather trust in man than God.
(12-28-2010, 06:46 PM)Gladium Wrote:
(12-28-2010, 06:43 PM)Nic Wrote:
(12-28-2010, 06:26 PM)Gladium Wrote:
(12-28-2010, 06:04 PM)Nic Wrote: And most evolutionists do teach that lizards and other reptiles evolved into birds - so where are all of those lizards with little bird wings?  Christians should really stop giving in to atheistic science and realize their agenda - they will promote evolution for the sole reason that God is removed from the equation.  Once you get all of the facts, you can see how absolutely ABSURD evolutionism truly is - life is way too complex to have evolved.

Dinosaurs evolved into birds, according to scientific consensus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_birds

And "life is too complex to have evolved" is not a valid argument. Over billions of years, these complex developments can happen, especially when it is the creative engine used by God to make everything. I agree that life is too complex to have originated on its own, but that is not evolution.

Dinosaurs ARE reptiles, the name means "terrible LIZARDS."

Then "where are all of those lizards with little bird wings?" can be answered easily: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterosaur

HAH!!!  Yeah, those sure are "little" wings on that GIGANTIC PTEROSAUR!  Where are the lizards with little sprouts or nubs on their backs were future wings are to grow?  Where are all of the fish with legs growing out of their bellies?  They tried to state for years that it was the coelacanth, a fish that evolutionists claimed was extinct for millions of years - until they caught one off of the coast of Madagascar!  Evolutionists taught from fossils that the coelacanth had lungs, a large brain and four bottom fins "about to evolve into legs."  They used to say that this was the fish that crawled out of the waters and filled its lungs full of air for the first time!  NONE of those things were true about the coelacanth - it was just a fish!  Pterosaur, Hah  -  Give me a break!  God created Pterosaurs according to their kinds FROM NOTHING just as He did all of the other dinosaurs - and the vast majority of them didn't make it after the Flood - the world changed too much afterward to accommodate them (but still, we have had tales of "dragons" and sea monsters from nearly every civilization on earth, and it is believed by even many scientists that plesiosaurs could still inhabit some of the world's waters.  There have been accounts for years in Africa of dinosaur like creatures, as well as Australia).
(12-29-2010, 07:19 AM)Nic Wrote: Catholic "Thinker" - holding to evolutionism while trying to maintain Catholicism is what is truly "intellectually dishonest" when we have all the proof necessary from Scripture, Tradition and the Magesterium - not to mention TRUE science backing it up.

I'm extremely suspicious of any "TRUE science" that starts out with the assumption that the book of Genesis is literal truth, and then picks and chooses its data to support that assumption. That's not how science works. A real scientist starts with an open mind, looks at all the data and goes wherever it leads him or her. There is a bunch of real scientific evidence (from many branches of science, not just the theory of evolution) supporting the fact that the universe and the earth are billions of years old, that life on earth has existed for millions of years, and that man has existed for much longer than the 6000-10,000 years given by those who interpret Genesis literally. This has nothing to do with evolution -- that's a separate question, and the scientific evidence for it is more speculative. But the notion that the earth is less than 10,000 years old is just laughable. If that's true, God went to a whole lot of trouble to plant evidence to the contrary, and why would He do that? Even the Church (and not just the modern Church -- this goes all the way back to St. Augustine) admits that we need to adjust our interpretation of Scripture to match observed reality, lest we become laughingstocks for the rest of the world.