Good lunches?
Hi all,
As you probably know, I'm a student, and living in an apartment with no on-campus meal plan.  So, I fend for myself for lunch. 

After having read through the 10 most recent FE Health Sub-forum topics, I have a nifty list of dinners and breakfasts to make!  Yay.  :)

So, I thought I would ask you all about good, protein filled (?) lunches! 

My typical lunch is a ham sammich (bread and ham), with a yogurt.  I'm guessing I could do better.

Any advice or tasty lunches that are semi-easy to make?  (My "lunch period" is around 1.5 hours, by the way.  So, preferably anything that takes that much time or less).
Eat green vegetables.  In fact, way more vegetables than meat. 
(01-03-2011, 12:31 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Eat green vegetables.  In fact, way more vegetables than meat. 

Heretic!
jared
I just had a delicious ham sammich.  Tasty club sammich roll and "black forest" ham from a local deli.

Yum yum yum!

:)
(01-03-2011, 08:59 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: So, I thought I would ask you all about good, protein filled (?) lunches! 

The rice and lentils dish is full of protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals. Plus, it is very easy to make.

(01-03-2011, 01:28 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: I just had a delicious ham sammich.  Tasty club sammich roll and "black forest" ham from a local deli.

Yum yum yum!

:)

Lunchmeat ham is gross.  Ham should look like it came from an animal's leg rather than from a roundish tube.
(01-03-2011, 01:49 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Lunchmeat ham is gross.  Ham should look like it came from an animal's leg rather than from a roundish tube.

Therefore, only get ham from pigs with square legs.
(01-03-2011, 02:00 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(01-03-2011, 01:49 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Lunchmeat ham is gross.  Ham should look like it came from an animal's leg rather than from a roundish tube.

Therefore, only get ham from pigs with square legs.

Q.E.D.
My recommendation is to find some good soup/stew recipes that you like & invest in a crock pot.

Then make a big pot of soup & eat it all week.  Serve with a salad or a piece of coarse, whole grain bread (no additives or preservatives).

I hate my kids mac & cheese, hot dogs, chicken nuggets & PB&J sandwiches and don't have lots of money or time to spend making myself fancy lunches.  These soups & stews work well.  I think Moneil posted a great lentil soup recipe & there is the Winter Soups thread on Fe.  I make my soups seasonal, if I can.

For instance, today I am eating a Cranberry Vegetable soup.  I picked up the cranberries for 25 cents a bag when they went on sale & froze them.  I took beef broth (most of the time left over from a Sunday pot roast, but if not, buy one with no additives) and added onion, potato, tomatoes, celery, carrots, peas, green beans & cranberries.  I had left over pot roast, so I chunked that up & threw it in as well.  SImmer for about an hour.  It makes 6 quarts & I will eat well all week.  

Soups are quick, economical and satisfying, especially in the winter.  Maybe I will post some of my recipes later.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.