Fun, New Shapes for Lenten Pretzels!
Lately, my fiance has been making soft pretzels using the recipe that he found here at Fish Eaters. I asked him why pretzels are a Lenten food, and he explained what he read on the website:
http://www.fisheaters.com/customslent1.html Wrote:The fasting of this time once even precluded the eating of eggs and fats, so the chewy pretzel became the bread and symbol of the times. They'd always been a Christian food, ever since Roman times, their very shape being the creation of monks. The three holes represent the Holy Trinity, and the twists of the dough represent the arms of someone praying. In fact, the word "pretzel" is a German word deriving ultimately from the Latin "bracellae," meaning "little arms" (the Vatican has the oldest known representation of a pretzel, found on a 5th c. manuscript).

So the shape of pretzels comes from a traditional posture for prayer. My fiance thought it'd be funny to create a new pretzel shape: the Novus Ordo laity prayer position pretzel.

[Image: orans_pretzel.jpg]

You know, kind of like the way people at the N.O. say the Our Father:

[Image: 20090326-05.jpg]

Well, he didn't actually bake this shape of pretzel. He said he couldn't properly enjoy his beer with pretzels shaped like this.  :laughing:

By the way, the pretzels from Quis & Vox's recipe are awesome, so if you haven't made them yet, I encourage you to do so!!
That's awesome!
LOL.  I was about to make pretzels today, but backed out of it. 

Is it easy to do?  I'm kinda lazy.  I'm kinda excited, though, for it....
LOL  :laughing:

The trad ways are the best ways, including with pretzels!
(03-19-2011, 01:32 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: LOL  :laughing:

You are right, which is why this pretzel recipe should be laughed away as a modernist novelty! If you want a trad pretzel, you can't forget the lye bath. I should add that even if you are going to forgo the lye, this recipe makes bagels! Never, never, never boil a pretzel for longer than 10 seconds!
I may have to try making some pretzels now.
(03-19-2011, 01:05 PM)St. Drogo Wrote:
(03-19-2011, 01:32 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: LOL  :laughing:

You are right, which is why this pretzel recipe should be laughed away as a modernist novelty! If you want a trad pretzel, you can't forget the lye bath. I should add that even if you are going to forgo the lye, this recipe makes bagels! Never, never, never boil a pretzel for longer than 10 seconds!

If you have a superior counter-recipe, post it!  If someone tries it and gives it the thumbs up, I'll see if Vox can add it to the website as a second recipe.
Heh. Well I don't know if it's going to be superior or not, but at least it'll give you real pretzels as opposed to pretzel shaped bagels--not that there's anything wrong with that. Here goes:

For 6 Large Pretzels

400g Bread Flour* (about 3 cups)
1 tab. Malt Syrup or Molasses
1 1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast**
1 tsp Table Salt
1 C Warm Milk (43C or 110F)
Kosher Salt for Sprinkling
*Pretzels need a relatively high amount of gluten to come out correctly. If you are going to use all-purpose flour, please add 1 tab wheat gluten per cup of flour.
**If you would rather use instant yeast, use 1 tsp

Stir yeast into milk and allow yeast to activate in milk for 3-5 min. Combine 375g (about 2 cups) flour and other ingredients in a bowl and mix to a thick batter. Gradually add the remaining flour it forms a ball. Knead by hand or machine for 5-10 minutes until the dough is smooth, soft and elastic.

Place dough in clean, oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let ferment at room temperature for approximately 90 minutes until dough has at least doubled in size. After fermentation, gently punch the dough down to degas. Preheat oven to 220C (425F).  Divide dough into 6 equal pieces and roll into small logs. Let dough rest for 10 minutes. Stretch out logs of dough and let rest again for 5 minutes. Stretch logs out once more until they form ropes of dough 2cm (3/4in.) thick and 40cm (15in.) long. To shape pretzels, take one end of the rope and form a loop, do the same with the other end and cross the end in the center over the other. Lightly press where the loops cross so that they stick.

Bring water and lye at a concentration of 1:64 (something like 1 gallon water to 3 tabs lye) to a very low simmer (not boiling). Quickly dip each pretzel in lye bath for 2-3 seconds, skim out and let dry for a few seconds. Place pretzel on baking sheet sprinkled with kosher salt. Sprinkle salt over pretzels so that it adheres. Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes or until brown. Pour 1/2 C Vinegar into water to neutralize lye.

*If you are nervous about using lye--at this concentration it's more or less harmless--or are unable to find any, for inferior results you can use baking soda.
(03-18-2011, 10:25 PM)Penelope Wrote: My fiance thought it'd be funny to create a new pretzel shape: the Novus Ordo laity prayer position pretzel.

[Image: orans_pretzel.jpg]

Actually, it looks like a snake.

It's no coincidence, though. The NO is one of Satan's masterstrokes.
Penelope, you are the most wonderful girl. How funny. You can call these NO treats "oransels" after the hand gesture.