Major Schism in U.S. Catholic Church Underway
http://catholicknight.blogspot.com/2011/...hurch.html

Major Schism in U.S. Catholic Church Underway

THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT is a friend to all priests and bishops in full union with the pope.  However, it pains me to say that a certain number of American priests and bishops have not been in full unity with the Holy Father, especially on matters related to liturgical reform and sound catechesis.

The U.S. Catholic Church is about to suffer a major schism.

Yes, that's right, soon there will be two "Catholic churches" in the United States.  One will be the legitimate Roman Catholic Church in union with the pope, while the other will be a schismatic "American Catholic Church" headed by the "American Catholic Council" and giving lip service to Rome, with no real tangible unity with the Holy Father.  There is no word yet on how many properties will be wrestled away from diocesan bishops in this coming schism, or how quickly Rome will respond with the excommunications.  However, there are many indicators that seem to suggest this schism will be real and sizable, perhaps on a level not seen since the Protestant Reformation in Europe during the 16th century. 

While there is already a schismatic "American Catholic Church" in existence, the emerging American Catholic Council within the mainstream U.S. Catholic Church threatens to draw many Catholics away from the pope and those U.S. bishops in communion with him.  It is unknown whether this emerging American Catholic Council will attempt some from of ecumenical merger with the schismatic "American Catholic Church" or attempt to create some new type of ecclesiastical body.  What is certain is that the schism already exists in the hearts and minds of many U.S. Catholics and that schism will be realized when the American Catholic Council meets for the first time on June 10th through 12th in Detroit.  The Catholic Knight blog has received numerous search engine hits for a previous article written on the American Catholic Council, indicating an increasing interest on the Internet as the council's convention date approaches. 

Far too few bishops have condemned this event, and sadly, this is symptomatic of the problem in general.  The reason why this schism is happening, indeed the reason why it will be much larger than anyone expects, is because so many U.S. bishops have been lax in their approach to liturgy, catechesis and discipline.  As a result, progressive modernists within the Church now have a sense of entitlement.  They are convinced their movement is the product of Vatican II, and it is the old structure of the Catholic hierarchy that stands in their way.  Indeed, a simple review of their website demonstrates beyond the shadow of a doubt that what these people want is nothing short of a complete restructuring of the Catholic Church into a democracy with female clergy, acceptance of artificial birth control, openness toward homosexuality, and elected bishops.  It's a model that already exists within the Protestant Anglican Communion.  Sadly, this message will resonate with hundreds of thousands (perhaps millions) of Catholics across the United States, creating a crisis and schism that nobody within the USCCB can comprehend at this time.
Interesting.  I don't think as much of it will come as the writer seems to think - open and declared rupture, but it's a bad thing nevertheless.
The sooner, the better.

Let white be white and black be black.
(04-09-2011, 08:53 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The sooner, the better.

Agreed! Lets let the chips fall. The sooner the cafeteria catholics move on their merry way the sooner the True Church can be restored. It may be ugly, but most every purge is.
I understand why the writer thinks it could be substantial. After all it seems every place I go all I see is cafeteria catholics. But I think he is also assuming that these people believe in progressive principles enough to walk away from Rome. When it comes down to it I don't think the numbers will be that high because I don't think most catholics really care one way or the other. That's my 02 cents anyway.
you know, i bet most american catholics if told and propagated the right way in the most devious manner that the "american catholic church" would allow birth control, female ordination, etc etc "but we will still be catholic!" they might go for it

heh, that would leave what, kansas city and a couple other conservative diocese, the eastern churches and SSPX (lol) the remaining true catholics

hmm interesting its happening in my native detroit, i may have to attend as a spy, only if this turns out to be a big event
the brochure

http://americancatholiccouncil.org/files...3-2011.pdf

wow hans kung and sr. joan chittister will be there, along with a priest who leads a protestant congregation, and a Kennedy who was lieutenant governor of maryland

A CATHOLIC BILL OF RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be human is to have rights. These include life and freedom, together with
rights necessary to sustain them: shelter and nourishment, health and work,
education and leisure.
None of these rights is absolute. One may not exercise them in such a
manner that other people are exploited.
Citizens of the United States are particularly conscious of their rights, written
into our constitution: speech and peaceful assembly, dissent and due process,
the choice to believe or not, freedom of the press and protection from cruel
and unusual punishment, voting and the presumption of innocence.
When one decides to become a Catholic, one brings all these human rights
into the Church. The Church has a solemn obligation to protect these and not
to violate them. When one is a Catholic in the United States, the Church is
obliged to safeguard those rights which define what it is to be a citizen—unless
they are incompatible with Catholicism.
(i.e. liberalism) One must not be told that one
becomes a Catholic at the cost of being less an American. We cannot
declare that fundamental rights have no place in the Church of Christ.
We often hear that the “Church is not a democracy.” This is not true:
ecumenical councils, papal elections and the election of religious superiors
occur regularly. The first Ecumenical Council in 325 declared that no priest was
validly ordained unless the community made the selection. Popes and bishops
were chosen by the people at large.
Fundamentally, Catholic doctrine
maintains that the Spirit is given to all and that baptism makes every Catholic
equal.

here is the "bill of rights" they plan on signing

Distinctions between clergy and laity are functional and arbitrary. Their
value is always subordinate to the baptismal equality which gives all Catholics
the priesthood, the right to the Eucharist, and full status in the community.
Christ did not preach a Gospel of privilege and priorities, of entitlements,
and of lesser or greater discipleships. Christ did not proclaim that the Reign of
God was made up of those whose right to speech or due process or
presumption of innocence would now be curtailed.
The Reign of God has its charter in the beatitudes, its constitution in the
Gospels, and its mission in the Great Commandments.
In light of these principles and precepts, we, mindful of our baptism, eager
to be fully citizens of the United States and thoroughly Catholic, articulate this
Catholic Bill of Rights and Responsibilities.
1. Primacy of Conscience. Every Catholic has the right and responsibility to
develop an informed conscience and to act in accord with it.
2. Community. Every Catholic has the right and responsibility to participate
in a faith community and the right to responsible pastoral care.
3. Universal Ministry. Every Catholic has the right and responsibility to
proclaim the Gospel and to respond to the community’s call to ministerial
leadership.
4. Freedom of Expression. Every Catholic has the right to freedom of
expression and the freedom to dissent.
5. Sacraments. Every Catholic has the right and responsibility to participate
in the fullness of the liturgical and sacramental life of the Church.

6. Reputation. Every Catholic has the right to a good name and to due
process.
7. Governance. Every Catholic and every Catholic community have the right
to a voice in the selection of leaders and in the manner in which
governance and decision making are exercised.

8. Participation. Every Catholic has the right and responsibility to share in the
interpretation of the Gospel and Church tradition.

9. Councils. Every Catholic has the right to summon and speak in assemblies
where diverse voices can be heard.
10. Guarantee of rights. Church leaders shall respect the rights and responsibilities
of the baptized and their faith communities.

Im amazed our archbishop is allowing this (i wonder if he even knows)
Stunning and scarey if the local biship indeed knows. :pray2:
(04-09-2011, 09:02 PM)Dmorgan Wrote:
(04-09-2011, 08:53 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The sooner, the better.

Agreed! Lets let the chips fall. The sooner the cafeteria catholics move on their merry way the sooner the True Church can be restored. It may be ugly, but most every purge is.

This is exactly what I have been saying too. Enough lukewarmness and apathy; I want the Church to return to Tradition. Even if it means empty churches, an exponentially smaller number of Catholics, so be it. We don't want the lukewarm in our Church.

Quote: I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I would thou wert cold or hot. But because you are lukewarm and neither cold nor hot, I will begin to vomit you out of my mouth. - Revelation 3: 15-16
If I am not mistaken, the Archbishop of Detroit condemned this group and forbid any one to participate.

I will need to look that up.

I wonder if there will be any consequences to those that DO participate?