A little help with historians
Hello, fisheaters!

I need some help. I'm off in October to study history at the University of Dundee  and want to make sure I'm reading the right sort of historians. Now I'm already a fan of Eamon Duffy but I need some more Catholic historians. Preferably English, Irish and American historians and well known ones.

Thanking in advance  ;D

EDIT: With a focus on the:
- French Revolution
- The Spanish Civil War
- The reformation
History is not specific to the historians. I would study the facts and contemporary accounts first to get a more accurate view. Be careful of projecting current views into the past and the Historian's fallacy.

(05-21-2011, 05:45 PM)Rosarium Wrote: History is not specific to the historians. I would study the facts and contemporary accounts first to get a more accurate view. Be careful of projecting current views into the past and the Historian's fallacy.

Oh of course. But we have to trust an authority; just as we trust Holy Mother Church.
(05-21-2011, 05:46 PM)EnglishConvert Wrote:
(05-21-2011, 05:45 PM)Rosarium Wrote: History is not specific to the historians. I would study the facts and contemporary accounts first to get a more accurate view. Be careful of projecting current views into the past and the Historian's fallacy.

Oh of course. But we have to trust an authority; just as we trust Holy Mother Church.

The Church is guided by the Holy Spirit. The same can't be said for secular authorities.
Ignore Rosies pedantry....sometimes he actually contributes.  Melita too

Anyone have any historians they like?

But be careful Engconv....the taste in this forum for "sources" leave more than a lot to be desired.
(05-21-2011, 05:42 PM)EnglishConvert Wrote: EDIT: With a focus on the:
- French Revolution
- The Spanish Civil War
- The reformation

I would study the acts and works of those involved in those events. Specifically, I would study exactly what the French people wrote and did and what the Reformers wrote and did.

It is often quite different from a modern perspective. The "reformation" in particular was not laudable at all and it shed all of the things which are so valued today.
(05-21-2011, 05:48 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: Ignore Rosies pedantry....sometimes he actually contributes.  Melita too
Go play ball or something.

Leave the forum discussions to those who can actually discuss.
Quote:Anyone have any historians they like?
Yes, but they are all from before the specific events which are the focus.

Rosarium, how do you fix the forum so you can only see certain posts?
(05-21-2011, 05:47 PM)Melita Wrote:

The Church is guided by the Holy Spirit. The same can't be said for secular authorities.

But, as Catholics, can they not say they are drawing upon that wisdom. Either way this is a somewhat circular argument
(05-21-2011, 05:54 PM)EnglishConvert Wrote:
(05-21-2011, 05:47 PM)Melita Wrote:

But, as Catholics, can they not say they are drawing upon that wisdom. Either way this is a somewhat circular argument

I meant that the trust we place in the Church is not the same as the trust we might have in a historian's work.