Going to hell for rejecting vocation?
(06-05-2011, 04:44 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: These quotes are striking fear into me and I will always remember them. The thought of God abandoning me and refusing me certain graces that are needed for my salvation if I dont follow through with the religous life is truly frightening. I will show my parents these quotes and hopefully they will fianlly realize that there is a serious chance I could go to hell if I don't enter the seminary. I will also try to not flirt/date any women in the next 2.5 years while I enter the real world like my parents want me to. I also have a habit of listening to R/B music like "slow jamz", groups like Boyz 2 Men, Luther Vandross, Whitney Houston and such, dreaming romantically of having a wife someday and getting married. I should quit listening to this music and drop the romantic side of me if I truly want to follow God. Thank you all for the advice from people on here, I need to take a break from Fisheaters indefinetly.

My advice to wulfrano above goes for you, too.

(06-05-2011, 12:07 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(06-04-2011, 07:13 PM)wulfrano Wrote: Ya that could be very well a good description of myself. I am not happy I am miserable right now when thinking about God and just how easy it is to fall into mortal sin. I am stone faced all the time in mass and when I think about God. I feel guilty about doing basic liesure activities like basketball and going to a movie.

It sounds like you likely have a serious form of scrupulosity. You should probably see a good Catholic psychologist. 
(06-05-2011, 04:53 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(06-05-2011, 04:44 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: These quotes are striking fear into me and I will always remember them. The thought of God abandoning me and refusing me certain graces that are needed for my salvation if I dont follow through with the religous life is truly frightening. I will show my parents these quotes and hopefully they will fianlly realize that there is a serious chance I could go to hell if I don't enter the seminary. I will also try to not flirt/date any women in the next 2.5 years while I enter the real world like my parents want me to. I also have a habit of listening to R/B music like "slow jamz", groups like Boyz 2 Men, Luther Vandross, Whitney Houston and such, dreaming romantically of having a wife someday and getting married. I should quit listening to this music and drop the romantic side of me if I truly want to follow God. Thank you all for the advice from people on here, I need to take a break from Fisheaters indefinetly.

LOLOLOL.

Honestly, I don't really care what you do with your life, but my most important advice would be to just live and let live with your parents. You don't need to convince them of the righteousness of your every life decision. Based on what you've written here, you don't have a damn clue about how to work with parents, and showing them quotes on the Internet won't matter a fig, no matter who they're written by. They'll just prove to them that you have an unhealthy obsession with hell, fear and damnation.

Rex locutus est; causa finita est.
This thread needs moderation.
(06-04-2011, 11:54 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: I do not understand how Catholic 'extremism' is wrong. How many of the Saints were tepid and apathetic? None.

One should not confuse piety and devotion with scrupulosity and obsession.
(06-05-2011, 05:19 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(06-04-2011, 11:54 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: I do not understand how Catholic 'extremism' is wrong. How many of the Saints were tepid and apathetic? None.

Is it wrong to be 'obsessed' with God. I don't look at those who have rejected the world for the gospel and taken up the life of asceticism, but commend them and those Saints who have done it in the past.
(06-05-2011, 05:29 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:

Is it wrong to be 'obsessed' with God. I don't look at those who have rejected the world for the gospel and taken up the life of asceticism, but commend them and those Saints who have done it in the past.

There's definitely a place for rejecting the world entirely and taking up a life of asceticism: a monastery, where one has the wisdom of experienced religious superiors to direct one's spiritual progress and prevent one from falling into dangerous and unhealthy mindsets. Perhaps some can even do this (to some extent) without joining a religious order, but one should always have the direction of a devout, learned, and orthodox priest. If I'm not mistaken, the Baltimore Catechism strictly warns against taking up hard penances without the permission of one's confessor or spiritual director.
(06-04-2011, 07:13 PM)wulfrano Wrote: Ya that could be very well a good description of myself. I am not happy I am miserable right now when thinking about God and just how easy it is to fall into mortal sin. I am stone faced all the time in mass and when I think about God. I feel guilty about doing basic liesure activities like basketball and going to a movie.

It sounds like you likely have a serious form of scrupulosity. You should probably see a good Catholic psychologist. 

@  St. Dominic Savio:  Maybe you should fall in love with a good catholic girl.
(06-05-2011, 04:44 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote:
(06-04-2011, 08:49 PM)FHM310 Wrote:
(05-31-2011, 07:48 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: Has the church ever ruled officially on what happens to those who reject a priest/religious vocation?  Are they headed to hell? Are they most likely going to go there unless they do _X penance? Is it fair to compare a young man's discernment in modern day society to that of the 12 apostles themselves 2,000 years ago? Or are they slightly different callings?

I didn't read much past the first few posts. But FWIW, here are some quotes I've seen on it:

Quote:What the Saints say. The saints speak in very clear and strong language on this point:

St. Gregory Nazianzen: “I hold that the choice of a state in life is so important, that it decides for the remainder of our life, whether our conduct will be good or bad.”

St. Alphonsus: “If, in the choice of a state of life, we wish to secure our eternal salvation, we must embrace that state to which God calls us; in which alone God prepares for us the efficacious means necessary to our salvation… God gives to every one his vocation and chooses the state in which he wills him to be saved.”

St. Alphonsus: “It is evident that our eternal salvation depends principally on the choice of our state in life.”

St. Vincent de Paul: “It is very difficult, not to say impossible, to save one’s self in a place, or in a state, in which God does not wish one to be.”

St. Paul (speaking of his own vocation): “For if I preach the gospel, it is no glory to me: for a necessity lieth upon me. For woe is unto me if I preach not the gospel.” (I Cor. 9:16)

“Salvation in the Balance.” So, if your salvation is so much wrapped up in this decision, it is indeed a big decision. It is not a de fide teaching that to choose the wrong vocation means certain damnation, but the difficulty of saving your soul in a state God did not call you to would be nearly impossible to overcome. This is especially if you clearly knew you were resisting God’s manifest will for you. I believe this is the lesson of the rich young man in the Gospel, the one who “went away sad” when Jesus called him. The fact that he turned down a direct divine invitation could explain our Lord’s harsh words: “And Jesus looking round about, saith to his disciples: How hardly shall they that have riches, enter into the kingdom of God! And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus again answering, saith to them: Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches, to enter into the kingdom of God? It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. ” (Mark 10:23-25).

Sorry if I'm repeating something already posted in the 7 pages of this thread I didn't read.

These quotes are striking fear into me and I will always remember them. The thought of God abandoning me and refusing me certain graces that are needed for my salvation if I dont follow through with the religous life is truly frightening. I will show my parents these quotes and hopefully they will fianlly realize that there is a serious chance I could go to hell if I don't enter the seminary. I will also try to not flirt/date any women in the next 2.5 years while I enter the real world like my parents want me to. I also have a habit of listening to R/B music like "slow jamz", groups like Boyz 2 Men, Luther Vandross, Whitney Houston and such, dreaming romantically of having a wife someday and getting married. I should quit listening to this music and drop the romantic side of me if I truly want to follow God. Thank you all for the advice from people on here, I need to take a break from Fisheaters indefinetly.

The reason you can't make up your mind between marriage and religious life is that you have a certain feeling that seminaries are not catholic.  Your feelings are right.  There are no more any catholic seminaries anywhere.  (Sorry about that, Dr. Bombay!) 
(06-05-2011, 05:29 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:

If you believe there is never a need for moderation and we should always be "extreme" for God, why the heck are you wasting time on an internet forum?  There is mortificatino to be done!

Dear Resurrexi:  The words you quote are not mine.  They belong to St. Dominic Savio.