Sunscreen Question
Let God's design work.

Do not expose your skin to anything unnecessarily harmful if you can help it.

Note, skin cancer rates went up with sunscreen use...correlation?

Don't expose your skin excessively to the sun.

You don't see Bedouins with sunburn.
(06-07-2011, 04:20 PM)Rosarium Wrote: Let God's design work.

Do not expose your skin to anything unnecessarily harmful if you can help it.

Note, skin cancer rates went up with sunscreen use...correlation?

Don't expose your skin excessively to the sun.

You don't see Bedouins with sunburn.

!! The ingredients in sunscreen are some of the worst out there. If anyone needs to use it, especially on children, please look into safer ones on the cosmeticsdatabase.com

Aside from that, I'm another who would rather have wrinkles than be depressed and the Vit D pills don't seem to cut it. I spend 2 to 3 15-minute blocks a day specifically in the sun. I don't see the wrinkles yet though. Just a glow  ;D I think the humidity is keeping them at bay. I've heard that a large part of the body has to be exposed as well so I wear a sundress or a fuller tank and something to the knees. I have a pretty private back yard so I'm comfortable with that. Whatever need is left over I can get from food.
Meh, I'm all for vitamin D pills.  A study done at the latitude of Boston showed that you could go naked all day in the winter months and still not get enough vitamin D.  Our bodies are fully capable of converting the D3 in these vitamins, so I take one each day.  Good old Canada.  Plus I'm inside for the vast majority of most days as it is (unavoidable).

But you're right, anything above SPF30 has to be a chemical sunscreen.  I'm not convinced that chemical sunscreens are harmful to adults, but it's kind of ironic that we're seeing low plasma levels of vitamin D in kids these days though since they're all being slathered with super high SPF sunscreens every few minutes.  It doesn't have to be a choice between skin cancer and rickets, but then not everyone has common sense.
(06-07-2011, 11:49 PM)Pheo Wrote: Meh, I'm all for vitamin D pills.  A study done at the latitude of Boston showed that you could go naked all day in the winter months and still not get enough vitamin D.  Our bodies are fully capable of converting the D3 in these vitamins, so I take one each day.  Good old Canada.  Plus I'm inside for the vast majority of most days as it is (unavoidable).

But you're right, anything above SPF30 has to be a chemical sunscreen.  I'm not convinced that chemical sunscreens are harmful to adults, but it's kind of ironic that we're seeing low plasma levels of vitamin D in kids these days though since they're all being slathered with super high SPF sunscreens every few minutes.  It doesn't have to be a choice between skin cancer and rickets, but then not everyone has common sense.

That would have been an interesting study to take part in.  :pointlaff:

Of course the winter months would be difficult and in Canada no less. I take Vit D through the winter but it is not the same, which is why I try to "stock up" on sun during the summer. Not that I think I can stock up literally but getting out in the sun a lot in the summer helps me build up psychologically to make it through winter.
Never take sunscreen advice from a Canadian.  That's my motto.  :tiphat:
(06-08-2011, 09:47 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Never take sunscreen advice from a Canadian.  That's my motto.   :tiphat:

Haha, pretty good advice in general.  But this Canadian lives further south than some Americans.  Actually I have to drive north just to cross the border.  But hint - I never actually cross that border if I can avoid it.
(06-13-2011, 11:11 PM)princeli Wrote:Everyone gets wrinkles eventually.  That's why we need to get married young or nobody will want us.

Ack! A SpamBombayBot!
Dr M has a bunch of sunscreen articles here:

http://search.mercola.com/search/Pages/r...=sunscreen
(06-08-2011, 09:47 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Never take sunscreen advice from a Canadian.  That's my motto.   :tiphat:

Never been in the Prairies during the summer, eh? For example, today the sun rose here at 05h04 and will set at 22h04. That's seventeen hours of sun!
(06-14-2011, 12:48 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

Never been in the Prairies during the summer, eh? For example, today the sun rose here at 05h04 and will set at 22h04. That's seventeen hours of sun!

You don't cook meth in the sun, Jovan.