Scott Hahn and the 4th Cup
If I admit that I'm lazy and have never had the patience to read his entire essay on the subject, would someone mind giving me the nutshell version?
This is actually something that Hahn might be on to.  Evidently during the Passover meal, you are supposed to drink 4 times.  Well, biblically Jesus evidently only drank 3 times.  Then on the cross He drank the fourth cup (the sour wine on the sponge) and proclaimed: It is finished.  Thus tying in His Passion and Death with Passover.

Might be true. 
(07-09-2011, 06:29 PM)James02 Wrote: This is actually something that Hahn might be on to.  Evidently during the Passover meal, you are supposed to drink 4 times.  Well, biblically Jesus evidently only drank 3 times.  Then on the cross He drank the fourth cup (the sour wine on the sponge) and proclaimed: It is finished.  Thus tying in His Passion and Death with Passover.

Might be true. 

If this is true it also means Catholics are absolutely right (not that we're wrong regardless) in tying the Last Supper to Christ's sacrifice on Calvary.  Thus, protestants are wrong to celebrate the Lord's Supper instead of the Eucharist. 

Also Catholics should probably use a liturgy that emphasizes Christ's sacrifice on Calvary instead of one that emphasizes a communal meal...
Read The History of the Traditional or Tridentine Mass, by Rama Coomaraswamy. He talks about that in there. There is the idea that Christ drank the 4th cup when he was offered the vinegar on the cross. Then again, others don't count that vinegar as a 4th cup of wine. They say Christ refused it, anyway. They say the fourth cup is drunk by Christ at the Mass in the person of the priest. That'll blow your mind. Every time, for the last 2000 years, a priest is saying Mass, it is Christ drinking that 4th cup.