Why I am a Catholic
(07-28-2011, 05:12 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: are you on the barque or aren't you?  :) :) :)

At first glance, my Gothic-loving eyes saw ..."baroque."    

:laughing:
(07-28-2011, 05:17 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(07-28-2011, 05:12 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: are you on the barque or aren't you?  :) :) :)

At first glance, my Gothic-loving eyes saw ..."baroque."    

:laughing:

For you!  :)
[Image: 600px-teresabernini.jpg]
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
I am Catholic because God willed me to be Catholic.

In light of such an all-powerful will, every other reason is superfluous.
(07-28-2011, 05:02 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: I love the Catholic Faith, everything from the Latin Mass to Gregorian chant and the Rosary to the Crusades and the majestic cathedrals. Besides that it is only the Catholic Church that has the audacity to proclaim that no one who remains outside of her will be saved. I've flirted with Orthodoxy on and off but when push comes to shove they do not say that one has to become Orthodox to save ones soul. Everytime I'm fed up with the scandals and the chaos and the top down apostasy I pop in a Gregorian Chant Cd and ask myself that should I die today where would I rather be, Orthodoxy or Catholicism and I can say with 100 percent certainty that I would rather be Catholic. Also, I just know it on an intuitive level that the Catholic Faith is true. Orthodoxy was the only other contender for my loyalty but in the end I just couldn't and cannot do it. I've read every thing conceivable that the Orthodox have come up with in order to deny the Primacy of Peter but have never been convinced. I can also when push comes to shove never deny the immaculate Conception, Purgatory or the Filioque. If I left the Church I would always doubt my salvation.

Well said. Coming from Orthodoxy these are my sentiments exactly.
(07-28-2011, 05:20 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: I am Catholic because God willed me to be Catholic.

I think God wills everyone to be Catholic - to come to the knowledge of the truth and love of Him. But not everyone does, so our own free will is a factor in this too.
(07-28-2011, 05:23 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(07-28-2011, 05:20 PM)INPEFESS Wrote: I am Catholic because God willed me to be Catholic.

I think God wills everyone to be Catholic - to come to the knowledge of the truth and love of Him. But not everyone does, so our own free will is a factor in this too.

God desires everyone to be Catholic.  He doesn't will everyone to be.  If he did, no one would be in Hell.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(07-28-2011, 05:02 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: I love the Catholic Faith, everything from the Latin Mass to Gregorian chant and the Rosary to the Crusades and the majestic cathedrals. Besides that it is only the Catholic Church that has the audacity to proclaim that no one who remains outside of her will be saved. I've flirted with Orthodoxy on and off but when push comes to shove they do not say that one has to become Orthodox to save ones soul. Everytime I'm fed up with the scandals and the chaos and the top down apostasy I pop in a Gregorian Chant Cd and ask myself that should I die today where would I rather be, Orthodoxy or Catholicism and I can say with 100 percent certainty that I would rather be Catholic. Also, I just know it on an intuitive level that the Catholic Faith is true. Orthodoxy was the only other contender for my loyalty but in the end I just couldn't and cannot do it. I've read every thing conceivable that the Orthodox have come up with in order to deny the Primacy of Peter but have never been convinced. I can also when push comes to shove never deny the immaculate Conception, Purgatory or the Filioque. If I left the Church I would always doubt my salvation.

Beautifully said.

:monstrance:
(07-28-2011, 05:24 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:

God desires everyone to be Catholic.  He doesn't will everyone to be.  If he did, no one would be in Hell.

Exactly.
(07-28-2011, 05:24 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:

Indeed. There is nothing that can come between God and His omnipotent will.
I don't understand .......

Are you guys saying God wills that some people go to hell?