Fr. McBrien: Adoration Is a "Step Backwards"
http://ncronline.org/blogs/essays-theolo...-adoration

Quote:The practice of eucharistic adoration began in the 12th century, when the Real Presence of Christ was widely rejected by heretics or misunderstood by poorly educated Catholics. The church saw eucharistic adoration as a way of reaffirming its faith in the Real Presence and of promoting renewed devotion to it.

However, as time went on, eucharistic devotions, including adoration, drifted further and further away from their liturgical grounding in the Mass itself.

Notwithstanding Pope Benedict XVI's personal endorsement of eucharistic adoration and the sporadic restoration of the practice in the archdiocese of Boston and elsewhere, it is difficult to speak favorably about the devotion today.

Now that most Catholics are literate and even well-educated, the Mass is in the language of the people (i.e, the vernacular), and its rituals are relatively easy to understand and follow, there is little or no need for extraneous eucharistic devotions. The Mass itself provides all that a Catholic needs sacramentally and spiritually.

Eucharistic adoration, perpetual or not, is a doctrinal, theological, and spiritual step backward, not forward.

2009 Richard P. McBrien. All rights reserved. Fr. McBrien is the Crowley-O'Brien Professor of Theology at the University of Notre Dame.
:angrywom:
I remember being incensed with this when it first came out.
The easterners don't have eucharistic adoration, for instance.

So Fr. McBrien is not that way off.
I don't understand what his issue is it.  He doesn't explain it well at all.  I do know that I have found great comfort spending time with Our Lord in Eucharistic adoration chapels.
What's more outrageous than McBrien's original article is the sheer amount of comments attempting to defend McBrien and going even further in their ridicule of various devotions.

I've always been relieved that, for the most part, modernism around here is the result of mere indifference or ignorance. After all, there isn't much of a blogosphere dedicated to modernist Catholicism: it's simply the status quo, which takes minimal effort to refute.

Actually seeing people on the Internet attempt to rationalize modernism, though, is revolting. So are McBrien's lapdogs.
(09-06-2011, 08:34 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The easterners don't have eucharistic adoration, for instance.

I doubt easterners would say that adoration is a doctrinal, theological, and spiritual step backward.
(09-06-2011, 09:02 PM)StevusMagnus Wrote:
(09-06-2011, 08:34 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The easterners don't have eucharistic adoration, for instance.

I doubt easterners would say that adoration is a doctrinal, theological, and spiritual step backward.

Many would say so, I think.

It's a "Latinism."
(09-06-2011, 09:34 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: It's a "Latinism."

If it's a "Latinism", then wouldn't it be appropriate for Latins?  I certainly have no objection to it.
(09-06-2011, 09:51 PM)spasiisochrani Wrote:
(09-06-2011, 09:34 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: It's a "Latinism."

If it's a "Latinism", then wouldn't it be appropriate for Latins?  I certainly have no objection to it.

Nor do I.

But given that it's just an extra-liturgical custom that developed quite late in the Western church, questioning it does not make Fr. McBrien per se a heretic. Unfortunately, Eucharistic Adoration is not even a universal custom in the Church.