Fr. McBrien: Adoration Is a "Step Backwards"
(09-07-2011, 04:18 AM)ggreg Wrote: When is Trent II going to be convened? That is what I want to know?

I live next to a forest and have been seasoning wood for a while now.
'

:laughing:

Number one, I find the statement to smack of modernism...he's not defending an eastern custom so much as he is typical modernist spiritual minimalism, the first step down a path towards indifferentism or protestantism cloaked in big words and fancy garments.

Number two, I honestly find the lack of adoration in the Eastern church to be somewhat appalling, no offense....the number of times it's triggered a spiritual revival in my life all by itself is more than one hands worth.
(09-07-2011, 04:25 AM)Norbert Wrote:
(09-07-2011, 04:18 AM)ggreg Wrote: When is Trent II going to be convened? That is what I want to know?

I live next to a forest and have been seasoning wood for a while now.
'

:laughing:

Number one, I find the statement to smack of modernism...he's not defending an eastern custom so much as he is typical modernist spiritual minimalism, the first step down a path towards indifferentism or protestantism cloaked in big words and fancy garments.

Number two, I honestly find the lack of adoration in the Eastern church to be somewhat appalling, no offense....the number of times it's triggered a spiritual revival in my life all by itself is more than one hands worth.

One year ago I advised our parish priest to set a 24 hrs perpetual adoration every month. He almost immediately took me at my word, and asked me to handle the matter, what I couldn't afford. So I entrusted it to my wife who is a bit modernist.
Anyways it has worked well until now every 1st friday frm 8:00AM to the day after 8:00 AM  . Usually I book for one hour very early by 1:00 or 2:00 AM.
Our pastor saw good benefits for the parish, and myself personally too. I didn't dare to ask my wife but since she doesn't look fed up, I believe she draws personal graces even if she doesn't acknowledge it.
(09-07-2011, 12:26 AM)In nomine Patris Wrote: Your perspective is wrong

:)  I was being polite.  If your perspective is that the Eucharist is primarily to be adored, and secondarily consumed, it is your perspective that is wrong.
(09-07-2011, 04:25 AM)Norbert Wrote: Number two, I honestly find the lack of adoration in the Eastern church to be somewhat appalling, no offense....the number of times it's triggered a spiritual revival in my life all by itself is more than one hands worth.

It's ok, we find the denial of the Holy Spirit and Christ in the Eucharist to infants to be equally appalling.  No offense.
(09-07-2011, 07:59 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(09-07-2011, 12:26 AM)In nomine Patris Wrote: Your perspective is wrong

:)  I was being polite.  If your perspective is that the Eucharist is primarily to be adored, and secondarily consumed, it is your perspective that is wrong.
That's interesting. I didn't know people held that perspective. Who are they?
(09-07-2011, 08:04 AM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: :)  I was being polite.  If your perspective is that the Eucharist is primarily to be adored, and secondarily consumed, it is your perspective that is wrong.
That's interesting. I didn't know people held that perspective. Who are they?
[/quote]

I don't know that they do either, but it's the impression I get sometimes, which is why I said "if" it's their perspective.
(09-07-2011, 08:05 AM)Melkite Wrote: I don't know that they do either, but it's the impression I get sometimes, which is why I said "if" it's their perspective.
Oh, I see. Thank you.
Quote:"If anyone saith that, in the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist, Christ [. . .] is neither to be worshipped with a special festive solemnity, nor to be solemnly borne about in processions [. . .] or is not to be put forth publicly to the people to be adored [. . .] let him be anathema." (Council of Trent)

This is a good point. I think Fr. McBrien comes close to contradicting this, though somehow I doubt he cares.

Of course the Eucharist is to be consumed as Christ instituted the sacrament to feed His sheep. However, logic dictates that if we believe the Eucharist is the Body. Blood, Soul, and Divinity of our Lord, then, necessarily, this Eucharist MUST be adored as we are all obligated to adore God.

Seeing as how baptized children are free from original sin and in a state of grace until the age of reason, it doesn't make sense to speak of "denying" them the benefits of Eucharist and confirmation. The Eucharist in the Latin Church starts to feed children as they reach the age of reason and confirmation serves to strengthen their faith once they are at the age to more fully understand it and their obligations.

For those Eastern Riters who look down on Latin practices, I'd like to remind them of this quote from Pope Benedict XIV in Allatae Sunt:

Quote:Since the Latin rite is the rite of the holy Roman church and this church is mother and teacher of the other churches, the Latin rite should be preferred to all other rites.
"No one eats of this flesh without having first adored it . . . and not
only do we not sin in thus adoring it, but we would be sinning if we
did not do so".

St. Augustine
This fallen priest hasn't been Catholic for decades!