lay person doing sermon a TLM
Actually as I recall now there wasn't even a sermon. The priest just quickly introduced our guest.
Weird how information spreads. From another thread, pasted here because it's relevant:

(09-11-2011, 08:05 PM)patricia m. Wrote: This Sunday I've been to the TLM mass at the Holy Rosary Church in JC (ever been there?) and unfortunately we had no homily. I think this is kind of unforgivable.
(09-11-2011, 08:08 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: ETA: oh you were at Holy Rosary today where I was as well. They normally have a sermon. Just I guess today was layperson giving a talk day!

I'd say that it is one thing for the priest to skip the homily, and one thing to let a lay person speak during the homily. But to let a layman's speech replace the homily, and on top of that let it happen from the pulpit? Yikes.

What DesperatelySeeking said is extreme but partly true :(
(09-11-2011, 05:51 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: As TLM expands, you're going to get bastardization and abuses like this.

Pretty soon you'll get the rainbow sashes and the hand-holders, too.

Doubtful.

Still, may God forbid this.  :pray: :pray: :pray:
(09-11-2011, 12:48 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: Well for one, aren't laypeople to not enter the sanctuary during Mass? (servers excepted)

Generally speaking, the sanctuary is reserved for people who are exercising an office or liturgical function. In terms of the traditional Mass, altar servers are part of that group of permitted laymen, and in this category you may expand that to include lectors and choristers/chanters. Some laymen are allowed to sit in choir without necessarily being part of the actual schola, such as Knights of Malta. Something that gets thorny is that I've heard Dames (female members of the Order) are also allowed to sit in choir at the traditional Mass. But I don't know for sure.
(09-11-2011, 02:22 PM)m.PR Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 02:00 PM)Freudentaumel Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 12:48 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: Well for one, aren't laypeople to not enter the sanctuary during Mass? (servers excepted)
It was customary in some countries before Vat. II that a priest would read the readings in Latin silently while a layman read the vernacular translation

From the sanctuary?

If there's a lectern inside the sanctuary, then sure. The lectern is a podium that's distinct from the pulpit, usually less elevated and on the Epistle side of the church.
I am a parishioner of Holy Rosary Church who attends TLM and registered on this site after being informed of the post regarding a talk given by a lay person in place of the normal sermon during yesterday's Mass. What happened is this, a lay person was permitted to address the congregation at all the Sunday Masses to talk about his organization's work in Haiti and to solicit funds.  The person who spoke did not preach a sermon but merely spoke about his work in Haiti.  Those of us who have been attending TLM weekly for more than 9 years are very much aware that this is not the practice as we have a sermon preached at all our masses. Please keep in mind that Holy Rosary is a diocesan parish and not operated by the Institute or Fraternity. The congregation has no control over the decision of the diocese, pastor or administrator who may schedule and permit these activities.  In the past, priests (missionaries) have been permitted to speak about their work and to solicit funds.  These priests generally don't preach but simply talk about their work and ask for money.  All sermons at masses at Holy Rosary Church are preached by ordained priests not lay persons.  The sermon is not part of the Mass.  If anything it's an interruption.  So, there was no bastardization of the anything.  I know a family walked out just before the guest speaker got to open his mouth and that's their right but I sincerely hope this topic was not initiated by any of them.  TLM at Holy Rosary Church is celebrated by priests known for celebrating TLM and they have provided many wonderful and meaningful sermons.  I'm certain that yesterday's celebrant came fully prepared to preach but was probably told about the change by the new administrator at the last minute. That's too bad for us because we prefer to hear a sermon.
TLM at our church is celebrated with great reverence and attention to the rubrics (do the red - say the black)and traditions handed down over the 126 years of its existence.  I hope this clarifies the situation for some of the readers on this site who as a result of the post may have gotten the wrong impression of who is permitted to preach at Holy Rosary Church.
Let's pray for one another that we may continue to be more charitable if not more circumspect when writing on these sites.  A lot of hard work went into getting and keeping TLM at Holy Rosary.  We are trying to grow the congregation and expose more persons to the infinite beauty and relevance of TLM.  We try to be  welcoming to everyone in a spirit of friendship and charity.  We at Holy Rosary, I believe, wish to be faithful to Tradition but are not looking to "out tradition" the next person. 
My motto has always been "strive not for what is acceptable but for what is greatest". Regardless of whether or not this is forbidden, it is a violation of the spirit of the law. To ignore that is legalism, something the Novus Ordo is full of.
It's acceptable perhaps. Is it the best choice?  Obviously not. Therefore don't do it.
(09-11-2011, 01:12 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 01:09 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 01:00 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: If "Blessed" John Paul II can do it with with half-naked women, so can ayone else.

I don't like JP2 anymore than you probably do, but he's a beatus nonetheless. It lacks prudence to question the validity of his beatification, which was proclaimed by the pope according to the traditional formula.

Of course.

*buries head in the sand*
So you decide by what you consider appropriate standards what the Church should do.
Hmmmm....sounds like a certain Augustinian priest.
I was just reminded of the Pardoner's Tale in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. He describes preaching and soliciting money for the sale of relics during the Offertory. The Pardoner, by the way, was a lay church official. So it seems "second sermons", or at least solicitations for funds, were done by non-celebrants of Mass during the Offertory in the later Middle Ages.
(09-12-2011, 03:44 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: My motto has always been "strive not for what is acceptable but for what is greatest". Regardless of whether or not this is forbidden, it is a violation of the spirit of the law. To ignore that is legalism, something the Novus Ordo is full of.
It's acceptable perhaps. Is it the best choice?  Obviously not. Therefore don't do it.

Amen brotha
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.