Once there was Faith in Ireland.
Something interesting I found.

Let the old things be new again. Perhaps the greatest triumph of Vatican II is the fact that thanks to it we have truly learned to appreciate our Faith and the richness of it. Like the Jews in the desert we are on pilgrimage but know that God is true and he will restore to us what he has promised.

The bigger there are the harder they fall. Ireland even more than any other country has convinced me that without God's grace we would be utterly depraved and evil. Ireland ate the modern fruit, with the prodding of the Vatican, and descended like a plane with no engines. When I went there last, there was a remnant, and some signs of faith. I am afraid that Ireland is still degrading, although a small group have seen the precipice and turned back.
(11-17-2011, 01:26 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: The bigger there are the harder they fall. Ireland even more than any other country has convinced me that without God's grace we would be utterly depraved and evil. Ireland ate the modern fruit, with the prodding of the Vatican, and descended like a plane with no engines. When I went there last, there was a remnant, and some signs of faith. I am afraid that Ireland is still degrading, although a small group have seen the precipice and turned back.

Sounds like Italy and Spain.
(11-17-2011, 03:17 PM)Servire Deo Wrote:
(11-17-2011, 01:26 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: The bigger there are the harder they fall. Ireland even more than any other country has convinced me that without God's grace we would be utterly depraved and evil. Ireland ate the modern fruit, with the prodding of the Vatican, and descended like a plane with no engines. When I went there last, there was a remnant, and some signs of faith. I am afraid that Ireland is still degrading, although a small group have seen the precipice and turned back.

IMHO (having been to Italy and Spain) they are not nearly as bad off as Ireland seems to be (though I haven't been there).  Of course the crisis is there too, but just not at that same level of magnitude as in Ireland.
(11-17-2011, 03:20 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:

IMHO (having been to Italy and Spain) they are not nearly as bad off as Ireland seems to be (though I haven't been there).  Of course the crisis is there too, but just not at that same level of magnitude as in Ireland.

In what ways were Italy and Spain better off?
(11-17-2011, 03:23 PM)Servire Deo Wrote:

How are they better off now?  Presence of TLMs, Mass attendance, less impact of abuse crisis.
(11-17-2011, 03:24 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(11-17-2011, 03:23 PM)Servire Deo Wrote:

How are they better off now?  Presence of TLMs, Mass attendance, less impact of abuse crisis.

Spain? Presence of TLMs? Mass attendance?  :LOL:

Italy, though, yes, you're right.

Spain is a spiritual wasteland now. Quite sad.

I think that there's 2 TLMs in Spain, I've heard. One of them is SSPX who, by the way, doesn't even have a priest in the country. I would call NO Mass attendance in Spain a joke but that would be an insult to jokes.
Ireland went with the Pope 100% because of their history of obedience. Throw in the diabolic disorientation, priestly abuse, the carrot of the modern life of convenience and pleasure, the penchant for infighting, the detente with the English, and you have a recipe for disaster. Italy and Spain were great societies, but Ireland breathed the Faith in a very unique and special way, and shipped their priests all over the world. In terms of the Faith, Ireland has done a complete 180. The people in general distrust the Church. It is hard to understand if you don't have a clear concept of how much the Faith permeated the life before. Ireland was never perfect, but at least it placed God as a priority above all else (except maybe a good pint of the dark stuff  :)). My wife's family is from there, and my priest trained there, and they both don't even recognize the place anymore. You can just watch the dominos fall. Abortion is coming soon.
(11-17-2011, 03:30 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: The people in general distrust the Church.

One should distrust the counter-church.
(11-17-2011, 03:34 PM)Servire Deo Wrote:
(11-17-2011, 03:30 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: The people in general distrust the Church.

One should distrust the counter-church.

They distrust the trads too, even more so because of the history of Republicanism.  :crazy: