company Christmas parties and Friday abstinence.
(12-22-2011, 07:01 PM)damooster Wrote:
(12-22-2011, 03:06 PM)Josué Wrote: Christmas doesn't fall on Friday this year ??? where did you get that?

Anyway, why don't you give an alms to the sisters of carmel for that day?  The law is you don't need to abstain under pain of sin

Sorry, I typed my original post on my Blackberry and did not catch the mistake. I meant to say that because Christmas falls on a Sunday this year, the company is throwing its (mandatory) party on Friday.
O!  Everyone was going along with it so I went ???
Eat around the meat and save the meat for your dog. 
Although I don't make a habit of taking advantage of the Friday rule change, it can be applied here. Although it is too late to do it today, you can change the abstinence to another day. Try Saturday, which will be fully traditional too since it is a vigil. You can always substitute another form of penance. Another idea is to fast tomorrow, and have the meat in your one meal.
Don't eat the food, plan in simple. You think a "serious" Muslim would eat something a Ramadan fast or Jews eat pork during a pig roast --- in essence, give in to peer pressure? This Saturday, Christmas Eve, should be an additional day of penance --- try coming to a Wigilia table with a hot dog. This whole subsitute penance that USCCB has is a joke.
Just as the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath, so goes Friday abstinence.

The ordinary way to observe Friday as a penitential day is to abstain from meat, but for good reason, you can substitute another suitable penance. According to Canon 1249 (http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P4O.HTM), you have the responsibility to perform your penance in a suitable way.

Your work situation will dictate the circumstances. I've worked places that if I refused their hospitality, it would have created a hostile workplace and maybe even jeopardized my employment (and thus, the security of my family). Other places it wouldn't have been a big deal.

If it were me, I'd find some other suitable penance for that day. Maybe I'd spend my lunch in the adoration chapel of the nearest parish rather than eating. Or maybe I could make a suitable donation to a hunger relief organization-- hoping to do a corporal work of mercy in place of a spiritual obligation. Maybe offering a rosary for my boss on my break. There are many ways to dedicate your day to the Lord which are unconnected to your diet.

The normative way to observe a penitential day is with abstinence-- and it's a penance I've kept for many years now with only a handful of exceptions. But don't be a slave to the law if something else is more appropriate-- that is the height of Pharisaical Catholicism. Don't fall into that trap.
(12-23-2011, 01:13 AM)OLOMC Wrote: Don't eat the food, plan in simple. You think a "serious" Muslim would eat something a Ramadan fast or Jews eat pork during a pig roast --- in essence, give in to peer pressure? This Saturday, Christmas Eve, should be an additional day of penance --- try coming to a Wigilia table with a hot dog. This whole subsitute penance that USCCB has is a joke.

It's dumb to compare Catholicism with Muslims or Jews.

Serious Muslims and Jews deny Christ. Do you want that to be your example?
I do not remember where I heard this but I was taught that when it comes to a question on whether to abstain from meat or not to, it all comes down to charity.  In the example WRC gave above, it is out of charity to not create a hostile environment that he did not abstain.  It is the same rule for Sunday Mass - you are obligated to the rule unless excused by charity.  I think it comes down to your particular situation on whether it would cause problems to abstain or not.  Last year my husband's bday was on a Friday and his office brought in BBQ in his honor.  It would have been uncharitable for him not to eat so he decided to abstain on Saturday instead.
(12-23-2011, 01:38 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(12-23-2011, 01:13 AM)OLOMC Wrote: Don't eat the food, plan in simple. You think a "serious" Muslim would eat something a Ramadan fast or Jews eat pork during a pig roast --- in essence, give in to peer pressure? This Saturday, Christmas Eve, should be an additional day of penance --- try coming to a Wigilia table with a hot dog. This whole subsitute penance that USCCB has is a joke.

The point is Einstein, that we have become a bunch of pansies. Instead of standing up for the faith and saying yes, I'm Catholic and I abstain from meat on Fridays and other days we hide to message boards. You totally miss the point. By abstaining from those foods they show there (false) faith, where as we have a chance to engage the general population and we don't use the gifts given from the Holy Ghost at our confirmation to do so, even in this manner. We become like the pagans and eat a hot dog on Good Friday because its the opening of baseball season.
(12-22-2011, 10:01 AM)damooster Wrote: My concern is that if I start explaining it,that would defeat the purpose of abstinence (referring to Bible verses that say to not look gloomy while fasting so that other people know).
Be honest with yourself. Is this the reason, or is the real reason that you want to avoid the uncomfortable situation with your boss?
I have been in those situations and excused myself this bible verse. But Jesus also said something about denying him - and in our times, were it does not make any sense to try to gain worldly admiration for fasting hard or praying publicly I think the latter verse applies more often than the former, which applies if you can gain worldly praise by showing religiosity.
I had to answer why I don't eat meat on our Christmas party this year (Friday last week), but then I didn't have a pushy boss, and the option for vegetarian food anyway, because we have vegetarians and a muslim who doesn't eat any non-halal meat.
(12-23-2011, 02:01 AM)OLOMC Wrote:
(12-23-2011, 01:38 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:

The point is Einstein, that we have become a bunch of pansies. Instead of standing up for the faith and saying yes, I'm Catholic and I abstain from meat on Fridays and other days we hide to message boards. You totally miss the point. By abstaining from those foods they show there (false) faith, where as we have a chance to engage the general population and we don't use the gifts given from the Holy Ghost at our confirmation to do so, even in this manner. We become like the pagans and eat a hot dog on Good Friday because its the opening of baseball season.

You call me names? You wound me, OLOMC.

With all due respect, I think you miss the point.