company Christmas parties and Friday abstinence.
You might want to take this into consideration, Einstein the Pharisee.  Luke 14:1-6.

[1] And it came to pass, when Jesus went into the house of one of the chief of the Pharisees, on the sabbath day, to eat bread, that they watched him. [2] And behold, there was a certain man before him that had the dropsy. [3] And Jesus answering, spoke to the lawyers and Pharisees, saying: Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath day? [4] But they held their peace. But he taking him, healed him, and sent him away. [5] And answering them, he said: Which of you shall have an ass or an ox fall into a pit, and will not immediately draw him out, on the sabbath day? [Luke 14:5] [Latin]

[6] And they could not answer him to these things.

tim
WRC and Tim are right. We are not Muslims or Orthodox Jews who see only the letter of the law and nothing else.
Our party is always on Fridays. I just don't eat meat.
(12-23-2011, 10:30 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: WRC and Tim are right. We are not Muslims or Orthodox Jews who see only the letter of the law and nothing else.
I agree we should not compare ourselves with Muslims or Jews, but I do think we should compare ourselves with our own Catholic ancestors, who went before us.
I read "He leadeth me" by Fr. Ciszek, who spent more than 20 years in Soviet Gulags. Those in the camp were almost dying with from starvation and yet the kept the eucharistic fast, skipping the only meal of the day in order to be prepared.
Then I realized what kind of wusses we have become.

And I'm not trying to put anyone down, I'm no better myself.
(12-22-2011, 10:59 AM)Tim Wrote: If my actions would cause a problem or dampen the party, I'd use the letter of the law and do some other little penance. Perhaps there is something you could do for all your fellow employees that costs little but would be appreciated. Perhaps a nice but not  too too religious Christmas Card for each, with a hand written little note in each. If they are regular old secularists as I've known it won't phase them, and could help.  I've seen this happen in real life.

tim

This.
Well, drummerboy, since you said "this", I'll tell the rest. I worked with a lesbian and homosexual, that liked to play tricks on me. You kow the usual passive aggressive behavior, because I was a Catholic, and I let it show.  I gave Christmas cards to everyone in the Company including both of them. Then came a death in the company of someone, everyone liked very much. We went to the wake and funeral. It was a regular Catholic not Trad. Parish, but at the wake a Deacon came to lead prayers. I had fnished a rosary alone away from the rest of the crew, and I prayed with them, just in a normal manner. After we were through and making for the exit. The lesbian came over to me and asked me to teach her to pray. I taugh her the sign of the Cross, the Our Father, and the Hail Mary. The company went belly up and I don't know where she went, but I hope.

tim
(12-23-2011, 04:00 PM)Tim Wrote: Well, drummerboy, since you said "this", I'll tell the rest. I worked with a lesbian and homosexual, that liked to play tricks on me. You kow the usual passive aggressive behavior, because I was a Catholic, and I let it show.  I gave Christmas cards to everyone in the Company including both of them. Then came a death in the company of someone, everyone liked very much. We went to the wake and funeral. It was a regular Catholic not Trad. Parish, but at the wake a Deacon came to lead prayers. I had fnished a rosary alone away from the rest of the crew, and I prayed with them, just in a normal manner. After we were through and making for the exit. The lesbian came over to me and asked me to teach her to pray. I taugh her the sign of the Cross, the Our Father, and the Hail Mary. The company went belly up and I don't know where she went, but I hope.

tim

We have a merciful and loving God!  I will keep her conversion in my prayers.

Again, I think that it is very important that we do not be too lenient with rules - the Church gave them to us for a reason.  But we also must consider charity.  If your abstinence causes harm to others, then charity should come first.  If it does not hurt others, then you should do all that you can to follow the law. 
Freudenteumel, there is a difference between the Eucharistic fast and Friday abstinence and I hope you know the difference. No one is asking Mr. Mooster to not prepare himself to receive the Lord; people are just saying that there are multiple ways to practice penance.
(12-23-2011, 02:01 AM)OLOMC Wrote:
(12-23-2011, 01:38 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(12-23-2011, 01:13 AM)OLOMC Wrote: Don't eat the food, plan in simple. You think a "serious" Muslim would eat something a Ramadan fast or Jews eat pork during a pig roast --- in essence, give in to peer pressure? This Saturday, Christmas Eve, should be an additional day of penance --- try coming to a Wigilia table with a hot dog. This whole subsitute penance that USCCB has is a joke.

It's dumb to compare Catholicism with Muslims or Jews.

Serious Muslims and Jews deny Christ. Do you want that to be your example?

The point is Einstein, that we have become a bunch of pansies. Instead of standing up for the faith and saying yes, I'm Catholic and I abstain from meat on Fridays and other days we hide to message boards. You totally miss the point. By abstaining from those foods they show there (false) faith, where as we have a chance to engage the general population and we don't use the gifts given from the Holy Ghost at our confirmation to do so, even in this manner. We become like the pagans and eat a hot dog on Good Friday because its the opening of baseball season.

Out of charity, I will assume that you were not directly calling me a pansy. But if you were calling me names, and you feel the need to do so again in the future, at least do me the favor of offering to do it to my face next time. It may be easy to do or say things when there is no fear of repercussion, but that doesn't make it right.

I was not trying to "hide" in the message boards. I sought the advice of experienced Catholics because I am a new Catholic and I'm newer to Tradition. From all of the things I've read about fasting and praying, I came to the conclusion that these things should be done in private so as not to seek glory for myself; that acts of penance and prayer were personal and intimate actions solely to bring me closer to God. I was (and still am) trying to find out if my assumptions are correct.

I ended up not eating meat today. The owner of my company did not react like I thought he would (he was busy dealing with something). Instead, the person in charge of preparing the food felt horrible for not having anything for me to eat. He felt so badly about it that he wanted to order something just for me (he begged to do it), but I insisted that the potato salad filled me up (when in reality, I hate potato salad).

Thanks to everyone for your input.
Good to hear that it worked out.

Merry Christmas. :)