Protestant Exorcisms
Father Ripperger in the conference I mentioned at the beginning of this thread  says any sins can open the door. He then says that he is willing to wager that something like 25% of the adult population of the US is under some sort of diabolical influence, especially by getting involved in sins against the 6th and 9th commandments. Remember diabolical influence is not just full blown posession either but can be both diabolical oppression and diabolical obsession too. Another interesting thing Father R. mentioned was that he has actually gotten people with so called bi-polar disorder off their meds by doing some sort of simple blessings and prayers on them which led him to question whether bi-polar was not simply a manifestation of diabolic oppression. Of course he says that not all mental illness is demonic but that it can sometimes be the result of demonic influence.
(01-19-2012, 08:14 PM)Walty Wrote:
(01-19-2012, 07:24 PM)Norbert Wrote:
(01-19-2012, 07:00 PM)dueSicile Wrote:
(01-19-2012, 06:49 PM)JoniCath Wrote: He also told us that there are approximately 5000 cases of "possession" reported to the Vatican each year & approximately ONE is truly a case of possession by demons. There, however, is that one.

Fr. Amroth said many bishops and priests don't believe in the devil anymore. Even exorcists write it off as psychological problems sometimes.

This begs the question: do you have to believe in the power of exorcism to do what it's supposed to...in order to do one?

You have to have a lot of faith that Christ has your back and that His power will trump that of the demon whom you are fighting.  It is a real battle between good and evil, and someone who doesn't believe in demons couldn't even begin to have the courage to stand up to them, much less continue on fighting the enemy for hours, and perhaps days, weeks, or months, on end.

I've heard that a strong faith and much self control over ones passions is a must for this sort of thing. That and humilty since any person priest or not who tries with their own power to battle evil angels will get mopped up. Christ and the authority of His Church works through a humble priest who has been given faculties to perform an exorcism. I remember my priest once said that us laity shouldn't ever personally address the devil or do things like binding prayers. Personally we have zero authority over satan, the only thing we can do is throw ourselves at the feet of our Lord, our Lady and the Saints. And with satan and the demons being fallen angels of superior power and intelligence we cannot win without God.
This is an excellent book and discusses why Protestant Deliverances work, but Priests are needed for an exorcism.

http://www.amazon.com/Exorcism-Church-Militant-Thomas-Euteneuer/dp/1559220600/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327019879&sr=8-3

Of course both of the priests, Fr Euteneaur (author) and Fr Corapi (forward) are out of the spotlight these days, although Fr Eueteuer has taken the high road.
(01-19-2012, 08:43 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: This is an excellent book and discusses why Protestant Deliverances work, but Priests are needed for an exorcism.

http://www.amazon.com/Exorcism-Church-Militant-Thomas-Euteneuer/dp/1559220600/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327019879&sr=8-3

Of course both of the priests, Fr Euteneaur (author) and Fr Corapi (forward) are out of the spotlight these days, although Fr Eueteuer has taken the high road.

That book is really pricey on Amazon. Is that the book that HLI pulled from the shelves after Father E.'s fall from grace? I aways wanted to read it but I can't see myself forking over 150 dollars for it.
(01-19-2012, 06:49 PM)JoniCath Wrote:
(01-19-2012, 05:59 PM)SaintAndrew Wrote:
(01-19-2012, 05:49 PM)Tim Wrote: I think when push comes to shove today Protestants know this to be true.

tim
Ahhh..........the power of Holy Orders. If people only KNEW what exactly Holy Orders were.........
[Image: presbord2011_gt_a051.jpg]

Our pastor gave a complete sermon on exorcism one time when the gospel was about casting them out. I'm trying to remember all he told us, but it's been several years. He said it was a charism given to some by the Sacrament of Holy Orders. He also said that it was dangerous, that one should NEVER do this without the blessing of his Bishop.

It involves days of fasting & prayer before the exorcisms & Sacramentals, especially the rosary & Holy Water are effective DURING it. One of these articles, the rosary, as Tim said..........well, a Protestant minister wouldn't use that. I agree that both Mary & the Trinity are involved in casting out demons. Father told us that the priest doing a successful exorcism usually is physically attacked by articles in the room. He also told us that there are approximately 5000 cases of "possession" reported to the Vatican each year & approximately ONE is truly a case of possession by demons. There, however, is that one.

Oh, it's gotta be way more than that in terms of numbers. There are different levels and types of possession. Not all are head spinning and frothing at the mouth speaking foreign languages.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(01-19-2012, 08:56 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote:
(01-19-2012, 08:43 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: This is an excellent book and discusses why Protestant Deliverances work, but Priests are needed for an exorcism.

That book is really pricey on Amazon. Is that the book that HLI pulled from the shelves after Father E.'s fall from grace? I aways wanted to read it but I can't see myself forking over 150 dollars for it.

Yes, that is the book and yes it was pulled. I have a copy and am tempted to put it on eBay, but always think of a reason not too... I would recommend reading it if you get the chance.
(01-19-2012, 01:49 AM)Gerard Wrote:
(01-19-2012, 01:02 AM)Walty Wrote: I believe that Protestant exorcisms can work to varying degrees, but I highly doubt that any really end successfully.  The Protestant minister is using the name of Jesus Christ and is praying to Jesus Christ for these possessed individuals.  The Name alone, I assume, in some mysterious way holds sway over these demons, and the fact that these ministers are, at least partially, followers of Christ gives them a certain dominance over the demons.

However, we know that they are not part of the priesthood and do not have the Church's remedy for possession, the rite of exorcism.  In the end, I'm sure the demons continue their possession even if they are only fought down for a short period of time.

It's also worth considering the fact that demons are, of course, tricksters and liars.  They may pretend to be thwarted by a Protestant so as to steal souls away from the Church and to keep them in heresy.

Perfectly stated. 

Yes it is. Though Jesus did say "a house divided against itself cannot stand" and ¨How can Satan cast out Satan", I think this is a very viable explanation as to why protestant "exorcisms" seem to work on the surface, in this case by "appeasing" itself on purpose and making it look like it is expelled. This is where I part ways with fr. Malachi Martin, since he said in one of his interviews that even witch doctors could expel demons; I can't remember which interview was it, I think it was on one of those Art Bell shows.
Is it a bad thing to want to be an exorcist?
(01-19-2012, 10:56 PM)drummerboy Wrote: Is it a bad thing to want to be an exorcist?

I don't think so.  I have also felt that I wanted to be one, but if what I have learned about exorcisms is correct, guys like us who would want to be one won't ever be.  :LOL:
(01-19-2012, 09:27 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote:
(01-19-2012, 08:56 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote:

Yes, that is the book and yes it was pulled. I have a copy and am tempted to put it on eBay, but always think of a reason not too... I would recommend reading it if you get the chance.

If I ever see it somewhere for cheap or in a parish library or something I'll make sure to read it. It's probably a bad thing but the whole exorcism/spiritual warfare topic is something the very much interests me and I like to read/listen to anything I can can about it.