Malachi Martin film from Causeway pictures coming soon (trailer)
bump
Gerard,

Do you know when this year it will be released?
Marked for later.
Why did Malachi Martin leave the Jesuits? Did he leave the priesthood too? If so, what were his reasons?
me 2

tim
(01-27-2012, 09:59 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Why did Malachi Martin leave the Jesuits? Did he leave the priesthood too? If so, what were his reasons?

He left the Jesuits because he felt that what his superiors were demanding of him went against his conscience.  He received the ok to leave the order, supposedly from Paul VI himself, who removed from him his vows of poverty and obedience.  He did not renounce his priesthood in any way and continued saying daily mass, hearing confessions, and doing exorcisms.  He received his jurisdiction from Rome itself and was required to travel back to Rome on a regular basis to check in with his new superiors there.
(01-27-2012, 09:59 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Why did Malachi Martin leave the Jesuits? Did he leave the priesthood too? If so, what were his reasons?

I could be totally wrong but...

From what I understand he asked the Pope for permission to live the lifestyle we know he did. After reading "The Jesuits", one gets an idea of how corrupt the entire order was. I think that he left because he didn't/ couldn't work with those people. It seems like a small reason. But when you read about so many, if not most, of the Jesuits doing everything they can to destroy the faith, how could you in good conscience stay?
(01-27-2012, 10:02 AM)Walty Wrote:

He left the Jesuits because he felt that what his superiors were demanding of him went against his conscience.  He received the ok to leave the order, supposedly from Paul VI himself, who removed from him his vows of poverty and obedience.  He did not renounce his priesthood in any way and continued saying daily mass, hearing confessions, and doing exorcisms.  He received his jurisdiction from Rome itself and was required to travel back to Rome on a regular basis to check in with his new superiors there.

cool, I kinda got it right
(01-27-2012, 10:05 AM)verenaerin Wrote:
(01-27-2012, 10:02 AM)Walty Wrote:

cool, I kinda got it right

You definitely got it right, at least according to my limited understanding of the history of Fr. Martin.  I assume Gerard will be able to give a more thorough answer.