Hey Su
...or anyone else who knows about computers.

The battery in my Lenovo just stopped working completely. It's probably about two years old. Is this normal? Is there some way I can get it to start charging again? My computer just turns off completely now when it's not plugged in.
If it is a Li-Ion Battery:
This is normal nowadays. The Lithium Ion battery cell that is inside your battery housing is probably low grade. (Cheap materials, possibly Chinese).
You will have to replace it. 
Ebay has inexpensive choices. I bought mine there. In August of last year I bought my netbook. It shipped with a battery from China. I had to buy a new battery from ebay last month for it.  They claim it has a Japanese cell.
(02-16-2012, 09:40 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: ...or anyone else who knows about computers.

The battery in my Lenovo just stopped working completely. It's probably about two years old. Is this normal? Is there some way I can get it to start charging again? My computer just turns off completely now when it's not plugged in.

It is not abnormal. You need a new battery. They can be cheap these days. I get them on Amazon.
(02-16-2012, 09:40 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: ...or anyone else who knows about computers.

Sounds like menopause
Yeah, my laptop does this too now.  I don't think I really care, though, since I can just plug it in.
Now that I am on a computer (I was on my phone then), I would recommend getting another new battery (not a used one). In fact, I recommend getting two.

While such batteries can last a while, they can also have issues randomly. Getting two batteries, especially if one is smaller or larger than the usual one, can not only give one a backup, but also a battery with a different weight/size for different situations.
They call it "Designed Obsolescence". Its quite normal these days and quite despicable and greedy at the same time.
(02-17-2012, 09:37 AM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote: They call it "Designed Obsolescence". Its quite normal these days and quite despicable and greedy at the same time.

In this case, it is usually just the nature of the product. To get them functional at a low price involves being less than ideal.

However, ink jet cartridges are specifically designed to not work after a short period of time so you have to buy another one. Use it, or lose it, but either way, you have to pay for more. There are sometimes ways to disable that chip to allow it to be used, but even so, they are wasteful. Microsoft and some other companies do this sort of stuff with software too. They deliberately break things to force the "buying" of "licenses". Also, in hardware and software, they often make things, then cripple some of them to sell at a lower price, and then offer the regular one as the "premium" or whatever. Sometimes this involves taking things which are perfectly good, and spending extra time and money to make them less functional!

Another big ripoff like the ink jet cartridges are cables. Cables are digital. They work or they do not work. An HDMI or USB cable with the right connectors and wiring is the same as all the others. Audio cables especially are subject to gross overpricing and false marketing. The Internet is helping to alleviate this problem, although, there are plenty of people sucked into the scams when they go into stores like Best Buy.

A huge issue, which most people do not see, is the media industry buying laws which basically force people to fork over money twice. If one buys a DVD from a regular distributor and all is in order, one should be able to play the media with the appropriate hardware, but that is not the case. You have to pay an addition fee for the right to access the media. Now, most DVD players and drives sold in stores come with such software and one is paying extra for it (around $20-50 per unit more). The "encryption" is weak, and it is easy to break (and was done so a long time ago), but they bought a law which made it illegal to even try to break encryption! People usually experience this when they buy a low priced item, and then find it "doesn't work", or they use software which does not come with the decryption software (which is expensive). Of course, those laws don't actually prevent people from doing whatever they want, but it does restrict people who legally possess the disk and want to watch it on their system of choice.

One thing which isn't a scam, but looks like one, is the lack of USB cables bundled with printers. No printer I've seen came with the USB cable it would use to connect to a computer. The printer maker is actually in the ink/toner business, and the cost of the printer is kept as low as possible. They don't bundle a USB cable because it is unnecessary (many people have them, so it would be a waste of their money), and because people who do not have will have to get one anyway, so it isn't like a person is not going to buy the printer because of a lack of cable.
(02-17-2012, 10:00 AM)su Wrote: One thing which isn't a scam, but looks like one, is the lack of USB cables bundled with printers. No printer I've seen came with the USB cable it would use to connect to a computer. The printer maker is actually in the ink/toner business, and the cost of the printer is kept as low as possible. They don't bundle a USB cable because it is unnecessary (many people have them, so it would be a waste of their money), and because people who do not have will have to get one anyway, so it isn't like a person is not going to buy the printer because of a lack of cable.

Interesting. Got a new printer day before yesterday and was irritated that it didn't have a USB cable. Now I know why! :LOL:
(02-17-2012, 03:20 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(02-17-2012, 10:00 AM)su Wrote: One thing which isn't a scam, but looks like one, is the lack of USB cables bundled with printers. No printer I've seen came with the USB cable it would use to connect to a computer. The printer maker is actually in the ink/toner business, and the cost of the printer is kept as low as possible. They don't bundle a USB cable because it is unnecessary (many people have them, so it would be a waste of their money), and because people who do not have will have to get one anyway, so it isn't like a person is not going to buy the printer because of a lack of cable.

Interesting. Got a new printer day before yesterday and was irritated that it didn't have a USB cable. Now I know why! :LOL:

I hope you got a good cheap cable.

I bought such a cable recently too. I got it from Amazon (and in fact, it is an Amazon branded cable from AmazonBasics). It is quite long and was cheap and came quickly. I highly recommend them.