Help for the Common Cold, Allergies, etc.
As one who suffers nearly all year round with allergies or cold symptoms, I have discovered a good home remedy for congestion and post-nasal drip.  I have found that eating hot peppers, preferably Jalapenos, or even better, drinking a little of brine from them (or gargling it) will open stopped up throats and noses, and sooth a sore throat as good or better than over-the-counter or prescribed medicines.  Of course this is for adults primarily, but I don't see what it would hurt for children, too, if they have continually sore throats (and if you can get them to take it).  It seems to also clear the lungs of mucous.  Let me know if anyone else has any good ideas along this line, or if it helps you.

Andrew
I've hear that spicy foods are good for fighting germs. Whenever I'm trying to head off a cold I head for the chips and salsa.
A) Cayenne pepper -this stuff works wonders. Gargle some and in a few days the cold is gone. Usually when I get a cold it lasts for at least 3 weeks of nasal congestion. I started gargling with Cayenne Pepper every morning and night and in 3-4 days the cold was gone, not to mention that in those few days I felt a lot better than I normally would during a cold.

B) Iodine -get the colorless kind so you don't look like you've had an accident in a chemical plant, and apply some to your wrists (it's absorbed through the skin) and your throat (if sore.) It soothes the sore throat almost immediately, and can cure it in some cases. Also, although the label says "poison," I have read that this is just because that is mandated by law for some chemical that Iodine has in it, and that when applied to the skin there is no danger, and probably wouldn't be any even if somebody somehow consumes a few drops. (Naturally, iodine is also very useful as an antiseptic for cuts, which is what most people keep it around the house for.)

C) Garlic -deadly stuff for your breath, but it's even deadlier for your cold. Find some high quality powder and either eat it straight (if you have the will for this) or put it in a glass of water for easier consumption, with something else nearby (like a glass of only water) to wash down. Or you can do what I did last year in a pinch, and eat a couple of cloves of fresh garlic. It works, but not as well. Messier too.

D) I've heard that Apple Cider Vinegar works wonders with colds, not tried it myself.

E) The old standby: If nothing else works, take upwards of 5,000 mgs. Vitamin C a day, one tablet of zinc a day, and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. This regimen, at least for me, tends to dislodge colds if they haven't already taken root, and I'm sure all those nutrients go a long way to boost the immune system. I took 20,000 mgs. of C for several days in a row one time, didn't seem to do much, so even though technically I guess it's alright, IMO it's too much trouble for little appreciable gain.
DominusTecum Wrote:A) Cayenne pepper -this stuff works wonders. Gargle some and in a few days the cold is gone. Usually when I get a cold it lasts for at least 3 weeks of nasal congestion. I started gargling with Cayenne Pepper every morning and night and in 3-4 days the cold was gone, not to mention that in those few days I felt a lot better than I normally would during a cold.

B) Iodine -get the colorless kind so you don't look like you've had an accident in a chemical plant, and apply some to your wrists (it's absorbed through the skin) and your throat (if sore.) It soothes the sore throat almost immediately, and can cure it in some cases. Also, although the label says "poison," I have read that this is just because that is mandated by law for some chemical that Iodine has in it, and that when applied to the skin there is no danger, and probably wouldn't be any even if somebody somehow consumes a few drops. (Naturally, iodine is also very useful as an antiseptic for cuts, which is what most people keep it around the house for.)

C) Garlic -deadly stuff for your breath, but it's even deadlier for your cold. Find some high quality powder and either eat it straight (if you have the will for this) or put it in a glass of water for easier consumption, with something else nearby (like a glass of only water) to wash down. Or you can do what I did last year in a pinch, and eat a couple of cloves of fresh garlic. It works, but not as well. Messier too.

D) I've heard that Apple Cider Vinegar works wonders with colds, not tried it myself.

E) The old standby: If nothing else works, take upwards of 5,000 mgs. Vitamin C a day, one tablet of zinc a day, and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. This regimen, at least for me, tends to dislodge colds if they haven't already taken root, and I'm sure all those nutrients go a long way to boost the immune system. I took 20,000 mgs. of C for several days in a row one time, didn't seem to do much, so even though technically I guess it's alright, IMO it's too much trouble for little appreciable gain.
I also take heavy doses of Echinicea, which has staved off ordinary colds for years now.  It dosesn't seem to have much effect on allergies, but it sure has stopped my common colds dead!

Andrew
Peppers have antiseptic properties, as does cinnamon.  Peppers are also a great source of vitamin C if eaten raw or lightly cooked.  Dh has been feeling like he is catching a cold so we took precaution tonight.  He came home a little early and we made the following:

Honey mint brandy
Spicy soup
apples

For the honey mint brandy we took two cups of brandy and warmed it up on the stove.  We added a good amount of honey, (add cinnamon sticks and whole cloves if you've got them) and mint leaves.  Warm together and let steep for a while.  Drink hot.  The brandy recipe is based off of a cough syrup, which we haven't made in a while (takes a month to make it).  The cough syrup works great so we thought we would make this.  It's reallllly relaxing. :)

Spicy soup for us is chicken broth with: 3 habenero peppers, 3 Serrano peppers, 1 jalapeno, sage leaves, 1 head of garlic, two onions, 1 package of shitake mushrooms, rice and lemon juice.  We top the soup with fresh tomatoes and cilantro to help make it easier to eat.  It's spicy but really good. :)

We had apples for desert because dh says it helps clear the pepper oil out of his mouth. 

We also make a tea out of marshmallow root, echineaca, licorice root, cinnamon and ginger.  It helps with soar throats in the morning and helps build the immune system. 

If DH doesn't develop the cold then I will take it that we have been successful.  It's worked wonders in the past so it's our standby.