Salvia divinorum?
Ok, so I am reading about this appearntly legal hallucinogin(in all but 4 states) called Salvia Divinorum that has no known ill health affects (unless you smoke it , which then it does have the same effects of smoking tobbacco).  It was appearntly used by native american shamens in mexico for meditation and what not, so here is where my questions come in

1. Are hallucinogins inhierantly sinful?
2. Is it apostasy by action using this since it does have a pagen religious connotation connected to it?

This is all just hypothetical of course. I am not sure I would be willing to try it even if it was not sinful to do so.
Clarkthepapist Wrote:

Ok, so I am reading about this appearntly legal hallucinogin(in all but 4 states) called Salvia Divinorum that has no known ill health affects (unless you smoke it , which then it does have the same effects of smoking tobbacco). It was appearntly used by native american shamens in mexico for meditation and what not, so here is where my questions come in

1. Are hallucinogins inhierantly sinful?

2. Is it apostasy by action using this since it does have a pagen religious connotation connected to it?

This is all just hypothetical of course. I am not sure I would be willing to try it even if it was not sinful to do so.

I don't consider myself expert enough to answer your questions above, but I do know a bit about the plant from doing a term paper on it in High School, apparently the locals connect the plant with the Virgin Mary these days. It used to be the spirit of one of their goddesses that gave the visions, but now they've morphed that with Catholicism and it's Mary.

If you take it the traditional way (liquid) it will make you sicker than you have ever been before. If you smoke it, you must smoke it at high temperatures in order to activate the active ingrediants. (You apparently can't just smoke a cigarette of it). Since you have to use drug paraphanalia to smoke it, that adds another moral level. You are supporting the illegal drug trade. I wouldn't consider that a moral action and it something else to think about.

Which states made it illegal, when I wrote about it only MO had made it illegal, but I don't think even that was state-wide. Seems like Salvia isn't really the plant to ban, but who said we have intelligant laws.
I could be way wrong, but I would think anything you take to get voluntarily intoxicated (and by intoxicated I mean any altered state). Some drugs have side effects and it is perfectly legitimate to consume them even though the side effect may be intoxication. I don't know of any legitimate use of a hallucinogen (I'm not saying there aren't any, just that I don't know of any).

I would not ingest this particular drug.

MO, Louisiana, uhh tenesse and Delaware all made it illegal.
heh, TN got on the band wagon...not shocking really.

here's what I love: "the possession, planting, cultivation, growing, or harvesting of such hallucinogenic plant strictly for aesthetic, landscaping, or decorative purposes" is legal. Want to bet that the TN legislature has Salvia D. confused with the salvia that attracts hummingbirds? ;)