Shouldn't have posted about good happening...
A supervisor, at my DH's old job, broke into his email on his last day, took a joke email he'd sent to a couple of friends about the place (just a "Top 5 reasons why I'm glad I'm leaving" the superivisors even send out stuff like that all the time) and sent it to his new employer.  His new employer fired him.

So we are effectively unemployed.  Can't go back to the old job (although we're going to try...what the supervisor did was highly illegal) and don't have the new one.  Most likely DH is going to have to get two crappy jobs and we're going to be worse off then we were.  Teach me to hope.

I have to disconnect my ISP- we can't afford it, so I won't be around here anymore.  I'll miss you guys.

God bless,
Sara

That sounds highly illegal to me. I'm not sure how you would go about rectifying it, though. You shouldn't need a lawyer, but agencies are so bureaucratic you'll be jumping through hoops without one.

This is terrible news, Sara. I am soooo sorry. How many days before your ISP is off? Maybe I can try to find out something to help.
Sara,

I am so sorry!!!  What rotten thing for that super to do.  I hope your DH finds a new job soon, or can resolve this with the old employer. Your and your family will be in our prayers.  Come back whenever you can.  You will be missed.

God Bless you
In Christ
Monique

[Image: prayer.gif][Image: prayer.gif][Image: prayer.gif]

I will pray for you and your family, Sara.

This is horrible news.  We will miss you very much.  Please be sure and come back on in the future when you can and keep us posted.

We will remember you and your family in our prayers.[Image: prayer3.gif]
Update:
Someone at our church hired him.  Not as good of a wage, at least at first, but it's a job- and one with a future.  Someone else offered to help us out with cash flow.

I'm still going to turn off my ISP and switch to a cheaper one, though.  So my contact info will be different- I'll come back on the board and give it to you.

I feel like this was a test, and I don't know how I did.  I didn't get angry at God (usually my first reaction in a crisis; in fact, we even went to Mass last night and I made myself pray the Divine Praises) and I was fairly supportive of DH, but I had to be stopped from going down and punching the guy in the face or throwing rocks through the windows or something.  I was so ANGRY.  How dare that SOB do that to my husband after he's been working there for peanuts.  And these so-called "Christian employers" when my husband reminded him we had 3 children and no income saying "Well, good, you'll learn a lesson then". 

I'm still going to look into a lawyer.  He was working for General Motors; there should have been something protecting his personal rights.
I'm so glad that something turned up right away![Image: cheerleader.gif]

I'm still going to look into a lawyer.  He was working for General Motors; there should have been something protecting his personal rights.

I asked my husband about this.  I asked him if it was common practice for supervisors to read e-mail.  He said it was.  It is actually being encouraged more and more I guess to make sure that people are using company time wisely.  I know that doesn't justify it- especially since the supervisors do it themselves- but you probably don't have much legal recourse.

You do have to be extremely careful about what you say or do at work.  My husband has learned that the hard way too.  There are people who are out to get you.  There are plenty of Prince Johns in the world (ever read Much Ado About Nothing?) You truly have to watch your back.
If the e-mail was sent using a company computer and the company mail server then the supervisor reading his e-mail is not illegal. Emails are generally thought to be the property of the company when they are sent or received using the company's mail servers and Internet connections.

I believe it may technically be illegal for the supervisor to have forwarded that information to your dh's new employer - but unless you can prove that the new employer rescinded their employment offer based on that alone you'd have a hard time making a case against either the old employer or the new eimployer.

Oh, Sara! I feel just SICK for you!!! I can't believe that old boss would DO such a thing! It's VICIOUS!

Something will turn up, Sara. Don't worry! I know you will some, but try not to worry too much. (Do you have PayPal?)
CaroleK Wrote:If the e-mail was sent using a company computer and the company mail server then the supervisor reading his e-mail is not illegal. Emails are generally thought to be the property of the company when they are sent or received using the company's mail servers and Internet connections.

I believe it may technically be illegal for the supervisor to have forwarded that information to your dh's new employer - but unless you can prove that the new employer rescinded their employment offer based on that alone you'd have a hard time making a case against either the old employer or the new eimployer.

Actually I can.  And that's what I'm angry about.  It was perfectly within their rights to read the email and do anything up to and including termination based on the email.  Unfair, considering the atmosphere of the place and the context, yes. But not illegal.

But to have forwarded it to his new employer...that is what infuriates me.  It was totally unethical and immoral.  They had already given his reference too...so the big boss went out of his way to do this.  (It turned otu to be the big boss, not the supervisor).  He told us that this was the only reason that he took away the job, that "it shows what kind of person you are and I hope this teaches you a lesson."

I found a 5 dollar a month ISP, and with this new job we can afford that.  It's a much better job then DH told me at first...my head is just swimming.  At least we get all Sundays and Holy Days off. :)