Your Powers of Perception
OK, totally ignore a lot of what this guy says before and after the film clip he presents (around the 3 minute mark) -- that clip being the point of my posting this video. He is the founder of Skeptic Magazine and thinks that ID is disproved by his little argument, which it certainly isn't (there's just a point after which science won't help us is all). But the film clip he presents is fascinating. I won't give it away -- and if people post in respose, WATCH THE FILM first before reading replies!!!!

Film removed by youtube :(

Lord, I just hate it when I fall into the "blind sheep" category! I'm so disappointed in myself! Truly fascinating.

Reminds me of an experiment done with high school or college students in a classroom, as a stranger came in and stole the teachers purse off her desk. The eyewitnesses, who all had plenty of time to observe the robber, had so many different descriptions of the guy, and all were CERTAIN of their account. When the tape of the incident was replayed to them, many were distraught beyond consolation at their faulty recollection.

And this does it for me. For the last year, I've been observing how the longer I live, the less I know...truly. This is probably why I stick to posting recipes and such here. And even though I believe this is true for myself, somehow I also feel more mature spiritually than when I thought I knew more :)

-Robin
I missed it, too, Catheotimus. It went RIGHT BY ME! A nice, humbling experience...
Me too...a one-track mind I must have.  I heard the people laughing, but I was so busy counting the passes...

It was interesting that he pointed out how the human mind will ignore the obvious because they are looking for something specific.  I think we could say the same about the people who found the mummified dinosaur- instead of saying, "gosh, maybe we were wrong about how long ago dinosaurs lived," they jump to the conclusion that they were wrong about how long mummies can be preserved!  Now, which is more likely, people?

It's funny about the human tendency to pick faces out of things.  I recently found out about a certain group of people who love to point out demonic faces or other things in religious art, thereby exposing some great conspiracy against the faithful. 

It was on the evening after I had read about these people, that I served cornbread for dinner.  The article I had read was still fresh in my mind, as my young son spent the better portion of dinner, picking out the faces of trolls, fairies and devils in his cornbread.  The power of suggestion is very strong.  I guess if you are looking for something you will find it.  In my son's case, he was just having fun, and certainly didn't jump to the conclusion that there were real demons in his food- ah for the simplicity of children. 

"Look!  The emperor has no clothes!"
Sophia Wrote: 
It was interesting that he pointed out how the human mind will ignore the obvious because they are looking for something specific.   

That is a good point Sophia..and that can apply to both science AND religion...we all have to be very careful where we place our attention AND our BELIEFS! Dare I say it ...even with Traditional Catholicism...
Dean Radin makes this point very well in his book Entangled Minds....

"How can beliefs so easily distort common sense? Consider something obvious like the purpose of the human heart. In the early seventeenth century, people thought that everything important to know about anatomy was already known; the Greek anatomist Claudius Galen had written it all down many centuries before. Everyone knew that the heart was a heater of the blood, and the brain, a cooler. (doctors at the time believed that the circulatory system carried both blood and spirits (air) and that the purpose of the heart was essentially to assist the lungs) But when British physician William Harvey looked at the heart in 1628, he saw something new. To him the heart looked like a pump at the center of a closed circulatory system.

Now we accept Harvey's description of the heart as common sense, and we regard Galen's earlier concept as quaintly naive. But when Harvey's idea was first purposed, it was considered ridiculous by his medical colleagues on the European continent. They couldn't hear the heart beating as Harvey had claimed, (the stethoscope was not invented until 1816 in France) so they saw no reason to support his proposal. a leading medical doctor of the day, Emilio Parisano of Venice, wrote the following in response to Harvey's ideas
:

That a pulse should arise in the breast that can be heard when the blood is transported from the veins to the [arteries], this we certainly can't perceive and we do not believe that this will ever happen, except Harvey lends us his hearing aid....He also claims that this movement produces a pulse, and moreover, a sound: that sound, however, we deaf people cannot hear, and there is no one in Venice who can.

One might think that today no one could possibly make such an obvious mistake. Unfortunately, it's not so.
Beliefs can easily cause us to be come blind to the obvious.

Recent research on "inattentional blindness" has shown that even minor tweaks to one's expectations can cause a form of blindness. A simple experiment developed by University of Illinois psychologist Daniel Simmons provides a dramatic demonstration of this effect. I've seen people take Simon's experiment and literally gasp in astonishment when they discover that they've overlooked the obvious.

Simon's experiment consists of a twenty-five second video clip of six people playing a basketball game. Three are dressed in white T-shirts and three in black T-shirts. The white team is passing a basketball amongst themselves, and the black team is doing likewise. During the game, a person dressed in a black gorilla suit calmly walks into the middle of the game, beats its chest, and then walks off. The gorilla is not understated or camouflaged-it's blatantly obvious. And yet the majority of people viewing this clip do not see the gorilla provided that they're given a very simple instruction: count the number of basketballs tossed between the members wearing white T-shirts. This minor deflection of attention is sufficient to cause complete blindness to something as obvious as a gorilla. The power of deflecting attention is well known to stage magicians, who specialize in creating such illusions.

If we can so easily overlook a gorilla right in front of us, what else might we be missing?"

Indeed....

I saw it. Then I kept counting passes. [Image: laff.gif]
I saw it too the first time.
I saw it too, I thought it was put in there to distract me from counting.
Wow, I saw it and was distracted by it and then began to think that this guy was really demonstrating how prevalent attention deficit disorder was.... boy am I relieved. [Image: smile.gif]

miss_fluffy Wrote:I saw it too, I thought it was put in there to distract me from counting.

Same here! I almost did lose count.