Adrenal Insufficiency
Well, after 3 1/2 months of blood testing, hormone testing, and stimulation testing, I've finally been diagnosed with adrenal insufficiency.  The endocrinologist prescribed a steroid for "the rest of my life" with the additional instruction of getting a medic alert bracelet and an emergency injection kit. I'm just stunned and frankly having a difficult time accepting this. I don't dispute the test results or the diagnosis, it's the treatment I'm having trouble with. For 3 solid months plus, I'd been telling the doctor how incredibly fatigued I was and getting discouraged at how LONG this was taking. Then suddenly it's some kind of medical emergency??!! I just don't get it. Anyone here familiar with this condition and an alternative to steroid treatment? I've done a lot of research, but now I'm more confused than when I started. Thanks in advance.
-Robin
My daughter-in-law has the same thing and was prescribed steroids for it, which she eventually quit taking. I am trying to remember why she stopped. Unpleasant side-effects, maybe?

She has a friend who is studying to be an herbalist. The friend gave her an herbal supplement for adrenal support, and she does have more energy when she takes it.

I will send her this link and see if she can give you anymore information.

God Bless.
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
Hello catheotimus,
I am sure I have some adrenal insufficiency, also.  Here is an excerpt from an article about adrenal problems.  The whole article is a lot longer and explains more about adrenal insufficiency.  Personally, I would try other avenues before steroids.
Quote: 

How to Help Your Adrenals

1. The most important way to help your adrenals is to eat a diet that is nutrient-rich and is high in animal meats, fish and eggs, and high in good fats, with a low-carb intake.  The ratios of protein to fats to carbs are according to The Optimal Diet ratios (see articles in the Folder “Candida Diet”).  “Good” fats are particularly important for adrenal function, as noted above.
  2. Do not consume “alien proteins and fats” which clog up the endocrine system Alien proteins include fractionated amino acids, hydrolyzed protein, processed protein powders, etc., and alien fats are all vegetable oils and fats, except olive oil, which includes margarine and oils and fats derived from such plants as canola (rape seed), soy, safflower, and corn.
  3. Do not consume caffeine, i.e. coffee, caffeinated tea, chocolate, soft drinks, etc.
  4. Do not consume sugar, including fruit, and high-carb foods.
  5. Eat liver at least twice a week to obtain enough B vitamins, and eat foods that are high in vitamin C, i.e. animal meats, broccoli, green peppers, greens, lemons, parsley, cabbage, kale, cauliflower, etc.  Please see the Folder “Food Lists & Nutrient Contents” in our Files for a list of foods that contain vitamin C.
  6. “Dry skin brushing” is a detoxifying method that can be done daily.  It is very effective in stimulating and decongesting the lymphatic system, and helps the liver and adrenal glands function.  It is a way to exercise the lymphatic system and get it flowing and moving properly. See the “Dry Skin Brushing” article on how to do it, and what kind of brush to buy.
  7. Do rebounding exercises on a mini-trampoline at least twice a day.
  8. Drink sea salt and lemon juice in water at least 6 times as day (1/4 teaspoon of a good ocean sea salt plus the juice of ½ of a fresh lemon in 6-8 ounces of water; three of them with meals to aid digestion.
  9. Cup your hand and tap hard on the skin overlapping the adrenal glands for 2 minutes daily.
  10. Stand in the shower with your back facing the spray, allowing it to beat down on your adrenals (just above your kidneys).  Do 3 minutes of the hottest water you can stand, followed by 30 seconds of the coldest water, once daily.
  11. Do reflexology:  The reflex point is located 2 inches above and 1 inch to the right side of the belly button, and also 1 inch to the left side of the belly button.  Rub these two points vigorously for 1 minute 3 times a week.  These spots will probably be tender if the adrenals are malfunctioning.
  12. Stimulate your thymus daily by thumping it every day – your thymus is located just behind your breast bone.  Using your knuckles thump it 20 seconds per day (about 20 times).  Thump it firmly but not too hard so it hurts.
  13. Stay off medications containing cortisone and epinephrine.  If you are taking them you need to wean yourself off of them gradually.
  14. Get out in the sunshine.  Sunlight striking on the skin makes vitamin D which helps malfunctioning adrenals.  In order to achieve optimal levels of vitamin D, eighty-five percent of body surface needs exposure to prime midday sun. (About 100-200 IU of vitamin D is produced for each 5 percent of body surface exposed; we want 4,000 IUs per day.) Light skinned people need 10-20 minutes of exposure, while dark skinned people need 90-120 minutes.From the “Miracle of Vitamin D” - http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutriti...racle.html
  15. Get out in the fresh air and let fresh air circulate in your home.  Air charged with “good” ions, called “negative ions”, is healing to the adrenals.  This kind of air is abundant in the forest and mountains and at the seashore.  Showers also provide these good ions.
  16. Get plenty of sleep. 
  17. Decrease stresses in your life as much as possible.  During stressful times lie down and relax.  Place your hands on your forehead over your eyebrows.  Stay like that for 10 minutes.  It can be very calming.

I am going to be trying to do a diet close to this as funds allow, but due to candidiasis.  I got this article from http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/candidasupport/

She has many, many articles in the files section, all for free.  Prayers for you,

Lora

[Image: snowflake.gif][Image: holly.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: holly.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: holly.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: holly.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: holly.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: holly.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: holly.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: holly.gif]
Hi!  I have had various problems.  A relative recommended a natropath doctor.  He had me take an adrenal test and said my adrenals were not working properly.   This is what he recommended me to take:  NutriPlenish Adrenal,   Adrena Comp, and Adrenal Complex.      I purchased them at a natural pharmacy by me.   The brand name seems to be Natural Creations from Woodbine,IA 51579

Hope this helps.

[Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif]
Hello, I am Kathy's daughter in law. I was diagnosed with Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency and also prescribed steroids for life. I have a lot of trouble gaining and keeping on weight, I am never hungry and if i eat to much at a time it makes me sick, my immune system is very low and I'm always tired/worn out. After looking into the suggested treatment I decided not to take the steroids, it turned out that they would destroy my liver with in a few years. As Kathy told you I have a friend who has a doctrine in homeopathic medicine and she recommended that i take something called Adrenal Support. It is a month supply that cost $25, but it gives me A LOT more energy and I have an appetite again. I have only been on it for a month so i can't tell you yet how it is affecting everything else.

As far as the medical alert bracelet, I was also told to be sure to carry something that alerts physicians of the condition. When ever I get sick I am sure to tell them and i usually get put on a short supply of steroids because adrenal insufficiency's affect your ability to heal.  The only real problem I have had in terms of medical treatments with this condition is when I had my youngest daughter, I had an emergency c-section and was not allowed to have a spinal block because of the adrenal insufficiency, they we're afraid that it would drop my blood pressure to low. Instead they gave me an epidural, they had a hard time getting me numb with it so I felt most of the procedure but I am not entirely sure if the trouble getting numb was related to the insufficiency or not????

I hope that i have been helpful and if there is anything else i can help you with let me know. :)

God Bless,
Carrie
Thanks so much Kathy and Carrie, Lora and saintsforheaven. I'm still trying to absorb all this! (without stressing my adrenals any more than they already are!) All your input is very interesting and informative. I think I'm going to take all my test results and the info I've gleaned here and elsewhere to an alternative med doc.

Thanks again for taking the time...may God bless you all abundantly!
-Robin
dominusvobiscum Wrote:Hello, I am Kathy's daughter in law.

Hi Carrie!!! [Image: hellosmiley.gif]

I didn't know you had a new username.  [Image: dunce.gif] 

I guess you needed one since you aren't a "catholic newbie" anymore.

Welcome to the forum! [Image: rose.gif]

And welcome back to SaintsForHeaven. [Image: snowflake.gif]
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
[Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif]

[Image: holly.gif]Thank you AdoramusTeChriste.[Image: holly.gif] 

[Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif][Image: snowflake.gif] 

[Image: snowflake.gif]