Grow Rice Indoors! ~_^
Grow Rice in a Bucket
How would you like to grow your own rice? it's easy and fun!

Here's an easy indoor gardening activity from our friends in Toyama, Japan. Rice is delicious, and it makes a beautiful, unusual houseplant that will amaze all your friends! See the mission box at the bottom of the page to learn where you can buy rice seeds.

THINGS YOU'LL NEED:
3 tablespoons of rice seeds
Potting soil
Compost
Bucket or similar recycled plastic container with no holes in the bottom
Ruler
LET'S GET STARTED!

1. Soak rice seeds in water for 36 hours. Then drain the seeds and let them dry for 24 hours.
Put 5" to 6" of potting soil into the bottom of a bucket.

2. Mix compost lightly into the soil. Cover the soil/compost mixture with 4" to 5" of water.
Sprinkle the seeds evenly over the water. The seeds will sink to the bottom of the bucket, where they will begin to grow.

3. Water it! Keep 4" to 5" of water on top of the soil during the entire time the rice plants are growing.
Place the bucket in a sunny, warm area. The temperature should always be above 55°F.

4. Harvest it. Between 90-120 days after planting, the rice will be ready for harvest. When the grain heads at the end of the stalks bend over and start to turn brown, empty the water from the bucket.

Let the rice plant dry for 7 to 14 days. The plant will turn completely brown, and then the rice is ready for harvest. Remove the outer husk until you reach the rice grain inside.

Pictures along with the original article can be found at:
http://www.kidsregen.org/howTo.php?section=inGarden&ID=4
Neat! Thanks
Anybody try this?  I'm too lazy!  =P
Now for those, say, living in an apartment or condominium. Surely they could grow rice indoors.

Just keep the indoor temperature above 55 degrees, and put the rice bucket under a lamp with a low-wattage bulb. You know, one of those spiral, twisty bulbs that give out 60-watts of light while using only 10 or 13 watts of power.

Could it also be grown that way?

Oh, man, I've got to try this! How much rice does one get from the 3 tbs of seeds?

No idea to either set of questions, but I'm glad that people are actually responding to some of my posts!