Where have all the men gone?
Sophia, just look at all the penetrating insight into character gained by the ladies in Jane Austen novels just by going to dances!

And that's exactly the kind of dancing I enjoy, those vigorous folk dances where you dance with everyone from your grandfather to the little boy who lives next door and are too busy concentrating on the correct moves and being exhausted by the dance's vigor to think, much less do, anything inappropriate. It is perfectly possible to do these dances while dressed modestly, in fact, it is highly advisable, since if you did them in a decollete gown you'd run the risk of falling out of it.

There is much difference between dances like this and the kind of lascivious free-form dancing that is commonly seen in clubs today. If that's what you're opposed to, Ancilla, I'm right there with you.

But I'm puzzled by a couple of points in your post. On the one hand, you say that dancing is for married people, indicating that the problem with dancing is its seductive nature. On the other hand, you quote St. Francis de Sales, who seems to be saying that dancing is a waste of time. If it's a waste of time, married people shouldn't be doing it. Which is it?

No one should have been rude to you; I meant my own post as a silly joke and hope it didn't come off as mockery. If it did, I apologize. But clearly what was objected to was your insistence that anyone who disagreed with you would be "dealt with" by the Virgin Mary. Perhaps you didn't mean it the way it sounded? 
Quote:
On the one hand, you say that dancing is for married people, indicating that the problem with dancing is its seductive nature.

What kind of dancing are you doing, dearie?  

This is the same nonsense you hear about unisex restrooms. I say, if you can't tell the difference between having sex and dancing, or sex and going to the restroom, your difficulty is more troublesome than originally thought. This mindset is best left to the Prot fundies IMHO.

NewCatholic
Charity doesn't imply that we do what is best for ourselves, but out of love first for God, that we love our neighbor.

I never wrote, "dealt with" in relation to our Blessed Mother. That was a misquote.

I never intended to discuss dancing with one's father, grandfather, etc. The topic of dicussion was about the availability and quality of single men. Have we changed the topic?

Not all dances are the same. I didn't think that was something I needed to point out.

Jane Austin would have gathered implications from the goodness of a man by the way he dances. She's not a saint, and I don't think she was even Catholic.

This discussion has been come a vain discourse, as the terms keep changing like a moving target and seem to do little to build people up the Body of Christ but rather to build them up in the culture of today. Many of the people responding to my posts might not even agree on the need for custody of the eyes. Our understanding of the importance of the saints' writings and examples are very different, as well.
I ask you, what are we really discussing? Are we discussing at this point, "How to get to know a man by dancing?"

My question to you is this, "How is dancing with a man contributing to making him holy?" and secondly, "How is dancing with a man contributing to making yourself pleasing to God?" Let's go into details and examples of the type of dancing, as well, since we are in agreement of the fact that there are, indeed, many different types of dancing.

If such questions are not of interest, relevance, or importance to those in this discussion or who wish to take part, then obviously, I am at the wrong site.
NewCatholic Wrote:
Quote:
On the one hand, you say that dancing is for married people, indicating that the problem with dancing is its seductive nature.

What kind of dancing are you doing, dearie?  

This is the same nonsense you hear about unisex restrooms. I say, if you can't tell the difference between having sex and dancing, or sex and going to the restroom, your difficulty is more troublesome than originally thought. This mindset is best left to the Prot fundies IMHO.

NewCatholic

Who says that I am dancing?

I challenge you, What type of dancing ARE YOU doing?
Quote: I challenge you, What type of dancing ARE YOU doing?

Jen posted this originally. Thanks Jen!
Ancilla_Indigna Wrote:Charity doesn't imply that we do what is best for ourselves, but out of love first for God, that we love our neighbor.

I never wrote, "dealt with" in relation to our Blessed Mother. That was a misquote.

I never intended to discuss dancing with one's father, grandfather, etc. The topic of dicussion was about the availability and quality of single men. Have we changed the topic?

Not all dances are the same. I didn't think that was something I needed to point out.

Jane Austin would have gathered implications from the goodness of a man by the way he dances. She's not a saint, and I don't think she was even Catholic.

This discussion has been come a vain discourse, as the terms keep changing like a moving target and seem to do little to build people up the Body of Christ but rather to build them up in the culture of today. Many of the people responding to my posts might not even agree on the need for custody of the eyes. Our understanding of the importance of the saints' writings and examples are very different, as well.
I ask you, what are we really discussing? Are we discussing at this point, "How to get to know a man by dancing?"

My question to you is this, "How is dancing with a man contributing to making him holy?" and secondly, "How is dancing with a man contributing to making yourself pleasing to God?" Let's go into details and examples of the type of dancing, as well, since we are in agreement of the fact that there are, indeed, many different types of dancing.

If such questions are not of interest, relevance, or importance to those in this discussion or who wish to take part, then obviously, I am at the wrong site.

Two things: When I referred to you saying that the Virgin Mary would "deal with" those who disagree with you, it was intended as a paraphrase because I couldn't remember your exact wording. I don't think I strayed from your meaning, but if you feel I missed a nuance, I apologize.

You took a lighthearted comment about Jane Austen too literally and as if it were directed to you, which it was not. It was directed to Sophia and was relevant to her post. In any case, what you said does not follow. I don't think you have to be canonized to set a good example, and being Catholic is no guarantee of righteousness; being Protestant doesn't mean everything that comes from your lips is worthless.

Ancilla_Indigna Wrote:Not all dances are the same. I didn't think that was something I needed to point out.
You said:

dancing is a no-go. I'm not a "prude", I just know better. Women and men are wired differently (incase someone didn't know, or chooses to forget.) I've been there, done that, I am ashamed to say, and now I know better. (Thanks be to God and the Blessed Mother who brought me to Christ.) Dancing is for married people.
You didn't say anything about "some" types of dances being fine. You just said it was a no-go.
Quote:My question to you is this, "How is dancing with a man contributing to making him holy?" and secondly, "How is dancing with a man contributing to making yourself pleasing to God?" Let's go into details and examples of the type of dancing, as well, since we are in agreement of the fact that there are, indeed, many different types of dancing.

How is being on the internet, or heaven forbid, a "forum that has scandalized people" (that was from another post of yours) making you pleasing to God?

Quote:If such questions are not of interest, relevance, or importance to those in this discussion or who wish to take part, then obviously, I am at the wrong site.

Yes, it's quite possible you are at the wrong site. However, only you can decide that.
I would humbly, as a man, suggest that you listen, or re-listen, to the song "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?" (I forget the singer's name, but it was a hit a few years back).  It says a lot, sadly, about our side of the species!

bupanishad2012 Wrote:

I would humbly, as a man, suggest that you listen, or re-listen, to the song "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?" (I forget the singer's name, but it was a hit a few years back). It says a lot, sadly, about our side of the species!

Paula Cole sings it... and I tell you, it's been in my head since I started this thread! [Image: laff.gif]
I thought we were talking about dating, not dancing. My head hurts. Why do so many threads turn into lists of things we shouldn't do?

What are the words to this cowboy song? I've never heard of it.